Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AKC has been thinking about how to hold trials during the pandemic. Here's the rally and obedience guidelines they've come up with. https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn-origin-etr.akc.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/12165904/Obedience-and-Rally-Suggested-Best-Practices.pdf

What is your thinking on this? If these guidelines were in place, would you trial? I know my answer. Absolutely, yes. Crate out of the car. Go in, walk the course, run out to the car. Get my dog, do my run, return to my car. Obedience and rally has social distancing built into the process. To me, this is less risky than going to the grocery store because I'd only be in the building for a few minutes.

It's a risk I'm willing to take. What about you?

·
Premium Member
22,882 Posts
I would so long as no hotels were involved. It still cuts me off from a number of multi-day trials that are not close enough for a one day round trip. Long Island is still closed and probably will be perhaps well into June so I am still missing most of my planned entries. Still s*cks. Sorry to be grouchy but the last two weekends would have been local trials for us, but all is cancelled. It looks like the next stay at home trials might not happen before the end of August. So still s*cks.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sucks a whole lot! Noelle hasn't been in a ring since March, so I would have to get her ring ready before trialing. Even though we practice at home, it's not the same. Illinois is opening things up more in June, so I think I'll be able to get back to training. I'm on the board of my AKC club, and believe me, we have had endless Zoom meetings about how to reopen.

Trials are planned around me for July and August. I suppose we could be ring ready by then. I hear you about hotels and travel. Am I ready to visit a public restroom on the way to a trial? Am I ready to stay in a hotel? I don't know. I'll have to do a risk/reward assessment and make a decision. I am tired of staying home and my desire to hit the road is intense.

The Rally National trial has been moved to Florida in December. I'm not going. Nice to be invited, but nope. There will be other years.

·
Premium Member
22,882 Posts
Public restrooms are still a no for me too still.

Reactions: Skylar and EVpoodle

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flushing toilets without lids aerosolizing particulate matter, and then blow driers creating a vortex of microscopic terror? Why would you avoid those during a pandemic? Yep, those are a no for me, too.

·
Premium Member
22,882 Posts
Thanks for a good giggle on the terror of the public lavatory. I would rather wear adult diapers rather than cross the threshold of a public lavatory these days.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I’m not. The clubs aren’t allowed to open for training where I live. I’m a member of two and have been on zoom meetings regarding opening. My AKC club is trying to figure out if people can rent private time. My other club is holding small socials to raise money following all the rules. I’m holding a nose work social with several searches for hunting hidden scents. Only doing it outside the building even if it rains. Dogs crate from car. I did read AKC guidelines. I’m having people park with social distancing leaving an empty space between cars. I’m looking forward to seeing friends but I’m not getting close nor is my dog. She’s going to be frustrated seeing her friends but not greeting them.

I’m not ready to spend more than a short time inside buildings. When we had trials I usually spent a very long day as a ring steward. In addition I spent several hours setting up, cleaning, arranging gating, tables for judges, ribbons etc. the day before. It takes a lot of preparation to put on a trial. I won’t spend those hours inside until we have an effect vaccine.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I’m not going back to competition until we know more about this disease. Particularly in agility where people are huffing and puffing through the ring. Even with a mask, the potential for contamination is too great. And my bladder absolutely could not last the day without using the restroom!

My area will hopefully start phase one opening soon, we have met the I ndicators. I am hoping the training clubs open soon, as I think that can be done safely. I really miss it! Hope we all get back to some kind of normalcy soon.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In Illinois, our stay at home order expires May 29. We will be able have gatherings of 10 people, as long as we wear masks and social distance. Provided that goes well, our next phase is groups of 50. My local AKC clubs will reopen then, but who knows when we will reach that stage. Coronavirus hit the Chicago Megalopolis and spread from there. Fortunately, it's slowing down here and I'm grateful. Illinois Coronavirus Map and Case Count Unfortunately, it's spreading in different parts of the state. I fear that once things open up, cases will spike and we'll be right back where we started, or even worse. I am glad my governor is going slowly, even if it means my training clubs remain shut down indefinitely.

This is tough. I want so much to just leap back into training and trialing just as hard and intensely as before. My desire screams out, "It'll be fine. What are the odds you'll run into someone who has Covid-19? Wear a mask, wash hands, you'll be fine." My rational mind says, "Um, no." Patience. We all need to have patience. And I need patience immediately!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I hear you Click, I’m in the same boat and also just posted a tread about the same topic! My patience is starting to wear thin too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts