Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? I know I can look up the details but I would love any first-hand accounts.

I'm totally getting ahead of myself since we've only had one puppy class, but I think it's something I want to do in the future.

Ahh, totally dating myself here, but any other fans of "The Pet Department" on the old Fx channel? I remember Jack the Dog was a good citizen so I filed it away in my "someday when I have a dog..." corner of the brain. ;)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
It's been forever since I last attended one of these tests, but I think it's a really good thing for owners to do with their dogs! If you have a stable temperamented dog, you should pass with flying dogs. Our first PWD was a little bit dog aggressive and he somehow passed. :)

I would recommend trying the test out on your own with someone your dog knows first. Then if that goes well, introduce a stranger. As long as your dog isn't really hand shy or spooky, it will do fine (once it has basic obedience under its belt).

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I think its a great idea! Riley has his CGC and a therapy title. He got the CGC at a young age. If your dog can do well in an obedience class, then i dont see why you couldnt get the title. I loved going to classes as it was fun, and Riley loves it too. Just practice basic leash manners with your dog, and you should be fine. The test isnt that hard at all. Work on heeling, sitting, greating a stranger (and eventually their well mannered dog too) with your dog sitting in heel position, and have someone hold your dog while you go out of sight (they cant coo or pet the dog). Those are the biggies, but not a problem for smart poodles!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Deb and I are going to get our poodles CC certs. I have already spoken to the lady that will do it and hope to get to it by the end of this month. I think it is going to be fun and can't wait to be to say our poodles are Good Canine Citizens. :)

Good luck to you in finding the person near you that does it and having fun getting it done. :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That's wonderful that you want to get the certification. I'm sure you will figure it out and do well. Poodles really do seem to be well suited for it. Let us know when it happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts