Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a certified farm dog? https://www.akc.org/sports/herding/farm-dog-certified-test/ My friend keeps finding all these fun things to do with our dogs. The test in our area is limited to 25 dogs, so I'm going to try to get my entries in before it fills. My dogs haven't seen more livestock than horses, but they can do all the skills easily, and if I can find some goats or sheep to expose them to before the test, it would be good.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
That’s interesting. If it was only horses then I know Babykins would be fine since she loves to visit my daughter who has her retired horses in her backyard.

I do remember a rally judge last year trying to encourage us to take the test. I see you have to pass the test twice under two different judges. They don’t seem to have any testing within an hour or two drive of me. Is your test site near you? Will you be able to test twice under two different judges when you go? If you do it please post about your experience, this sounds like fun.

OTOH if you are like my daughter and have livestock on your property and your dog helps with the daily farm chores, then getting tested is kind of silly.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I'm fairly sure my friend in Bearded Collies either has or will do this. She no longer lives in the State, but used to herd here. If you'd like to find sheep used in herding, maybe consider contacting Home Page to see if anyone can give some info. On the list of people on the Board page, Shannon may be a very good contact.

ETA; I know the test doesn't involve herding, just imagine at least some of the livestock used will be very accustomed to having dogs around.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s interesting. If it was only horses then I know Babykins would be fine since she loves to visit my daughter who has her retired horses in her backyard.

I do remember a rally judge last year trying to encourage us to take the test. I see you have to pass the test twice under two different judges. They don’t seem to have any testing within an hour or two drive of me. Is your test site near you? Will you be able to test twice under two different judges when you go? If you do it please post about your experience, this sounds like fun.

OTOH if you are like my daughter and have livestock on your property and your dog helps with the daily farm chores, then getting tested is kind of silly.
My dogs have only seen horses at barn hunt events and hiking on horse-friendly trails. Oh, and Frosty saw geese and did not like them! He has a fear of large birds.

The testing site is only 30 min. away with both trials the same day, which is why I'm taking advantage of the opportunity. I'll surely let you know how it goes :D

I'm fairly sure my friend in Bearded Collies either has or will do this. She no longer lives in the State, but used to herd here. If you'd like to find sheep used in herding, maybe consider contacting Home Page to see if anyone can give some info. On the list of people on the Board page, Shannon may be a very good contact.

ETA; I know the test doesn't involve herding, just imagine at least some of the livestock used will be very accustomed to having dogs around.
Thank you for your help, Streetcar! I would feel a lot more confident going into the test if both dogs saw some sheep :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts