Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to send in the AKC papers for this guy, Fischer, but I’m not sure what 3 digit color code to use. I’ve looked it up on the AKC website but I still don’t know. Anyone have any suggestions? The 3 pictures are all Fischer, just different stages in his life.
Thanking you in advance for any suggestions!

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Beats me, but that old 80's song comes to mind: PYT! (pretty young thing). Hopefully someone else will be more helpful.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Either black and apricot or black and cream, I think. It is a rather strange combination.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
In your current avatar and most recent pics on your 52 Weeks thread here, Fischer appears to me to be evolving as a phantom. Google "phantom poodles, but see the genetics of coat colors with sample photos at this link. If it fascinates you, the homepage here.

I checked AKC Color Codes, but saw no specific category for a phantom poodle. Fischer's colors are still changing, in the more recent pics he looks black & grey in some areas and black & tan in others. His secondary color my even emerge as apricot, creme, red, or silver. See Phantom Poodles for a robust description of color combinations w/ photos.

You might want to wait at least a few months to see what you end up with. The AKC rules say "An application to individually register a member of a registered litter shall be valid for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of issue of the application" (see page 6). Since he was born in March this year, you may have a good idea by the end of 2019 or very early 2020, and you can register online or by mail.

You can also let AKC figure out his color by sending in a photo with your registration.

Fischer is so pretty. He may even keep changing colors for a long time. Enjoy!

·
Registered
355 Posts
When looking for a puppy, I talked with a breeder who had a little female that looks like your puppy & she said the color was agouti (I probably have the spelling wrong). She followed this up by saying the pup would likely clear to a sable like her mother. (I am not certain why she wouldn't put the pup down as a sable.) At any rate, the puppy in your avatar looks like a sable phantom to me.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hmmm... I just went & looked at AKC's website & I don't see anything concerning sables, phantoms, etc... So I don't know if they have more options on the pup's papers or if I just found an old entry on Poodle colors. Now I'm puzzled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts