Poodle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a silly question, but I'd like to have my almost 1 year old Spoo learn to swim. I have always used the forced air dryer on his coat after a bath, because I worry his coat will tangle if he air dries (although I keep his whole body shaved down with a 3F or 4F blade).

People with dock divers or swimmers - suggestions? Am I being ridiculous? Also, do you worry about water in their ears causing infections?

Thank you so much!
Mel and Howie

Dog Water dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
That short, it is fine to air dry. Just make sure to do a thorough comb and pay special attention to the problem areas like armpits. For Phoebe’s longer topknot and tail, I work in a little coconut oil and comb while it’s still wet, but I sure am not drying her most days of the week!
I use Lisa Leady’s Miracle Ear Elixir after swimming and (usually) the next day. We’ve had a very swimmy summer with no issues since starting that regimen.
Water Dog Road surface Asphalt Carnivore

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That short, it is fine to air dry. Just make sure to do a thorough comb and pay special attention to the problem areas like armpits. For Phoebe’s longer topknot and tail, I work in a little coconut oil and comb while it’s still wet, but I sure am not drying her most days of the week!
I use Lisa Leady’s Miracle Ear Elixir after swimming and (usually) the next day. We’ve had a very swimmy summer with no issues since starting that regimen.
View attachment 495780
Thank you! That is most helpful!
Mel and Howie

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
4,201 Posts
Elroy just started a beginners Dock Diving class that I consider as Swimming Lessons. He air dried after class and I combed him out the next day. He didn't have any ear problems this time, but I have some concerns about that too. I'll probably clean them and give him a dose of ear cleaning elixer next time. I already have the exact same ear product that @Starla mentioned (recommended by my groomer).

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My new vet was excited to hear about the ear elixir too. It came up when she was discussing plucking/not plucking. She said she always recommends it for hairy eared dogs. I started using it because at the very beginning of summer, Phoebe’s ears were getting a bit pink. I noticed after the first few swims. No problems since! Also, I rinse her with tap water when she’s through swimming or her skin does tend to get dry and a little flaky.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elroy just started a beginners Dock Diving class that I consider as Swimming Lessons. He air dried after class and I combed him out the next day. He didn't have any ear problems this time, but I have some concerns about that too. I'll probably clean them and give him a dose of ear cleaning elixer next time. I already have the exact same ear product that @Starla mentioned (recommended by my groomer).
It was your post about Elroy's swimming lessons that precipitated my post - so thank you!
Mel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts