Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall, there was a thread on PF about downsizing, purging excess stuff, including living a minimalist lifestyle. I am fairly certain zooeysmom mentioned following Marie Kondo’s approach of evaluating “stuff” on whether it brings joy. I had never heard of this wildly successful Japanese author and advocate of organization and the joys of an uncluttered home. She has a new show on Netflix called “Tidying up with Marie Kondo”, which I plan to watch. At some point. Anyway, everyone is talking about Marie Kondo now:)

Our PF thread got me moving ahead of Netflix. I am now committed to spending one or two days a week, sorting, organizing or donating. Small car, bad back and a poodle are my legitimate excuses for not going full throttle. I’m not moving for another few years, so no rush. It does feel good and I can’t open a closet, any drawer or door without thinking about how I can phase an intervention. My problem is having a lot of storage and “stuff” that has multiplied behind closed doors.

https://nyti.ms/2RGuw4V
Don’t forget gifting to friends and family:)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I am doing a 30 day decluttering challenge where I do a project a day - something small like a kitchen drawer on a weekday and bigger projects like a closet on the weekend. It's going really well so far. I know Kondo's book and love the TV show!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I am so glad to see I’m not the only one here feeling the need to minimize my clutter! I have been working every day for the last 4-5 days to do my bathroom. Now I have moved on to my son and Luna’s bathroom. I am taking it slowly and have a mentor (she is the greatest!!) and I am saying goodbye to things that I have had for so long.

I read Marie kondos book(s) probably two years ago and started trying to follow her method. I have gotten rid of a lot of stuff but still have a TON. I got a new book for Christmas about minimalism and it has helped. I am now pulling some things from each method and my mentor to do my own thing and I feel like I am accomplishing more than ever so far. I could post before and after pics if you want this to turn into that kind of a thread.

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before and after pics will bring joy. I wish I had thought of that! Hate to confess but my master closet is still not done. Sweaters, jeans, tee’s and coats are gone. Shoes, dresses, skirts, suits and jackets remain. There is a Dress for Success Drive, I have in mind as the best destination for those things, along with my three nieces and DIL.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am a minimalist and dislike clutter. Unfortunately the rest of the fam jam...not somuch. I am so glad I was able to show them the Netflix show. I am glad to see they are intrigued. We don’t have very much clutter but could definitely use some refining.

But way to go you! Tidying up is quite therapeutic.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Chinchilla. I thought it was so funny that Luna and your son share a bathroom. Haha

Babykins has her own bathroom because my kids live in another city. Lucky dog doesn’t have to share.

I find it’s an ongoing battle.

Reactions: Mfmst and zooeysmom

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
asuk, I am kinda afraid that the contents of my SIL’s attic will eventually crush them. My sister’s favorite store is The Container Store, so not worried about her. I’m in the middle but making progress!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Oh my gosh, this thread sparks joy! So proud of my poodle friends for being on the decluttering/minimalism journey :D

chinchillafuzzy, wonderful idea for everyone to post before and after pics here!!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Chinchilla. I thought it was so funny that Luna and your son share a bathroom. Haha
You will probably find it funny to know that I am almost finished minimizing it and Lunas stuff takes up like 10x more space than my sons hahaha. I am so happy to see others on here working towards similar goals. My “theme” for this year is “SIMPLIFY”. I have never had a theme for a year before but a friend asked as a Facebook status and when I thought about it, that was the word that I want to accomplish and work towards this year. I used to be a couponer and have had that state of mind for so long, combined with hoarding tendencies because I moved a ton as a child and I think that caused me to cling to things for so long. So it will be a long process for me but I hope to work on it a little each day, even if only one drawer or tiny area.

I will post a few before/after pics. Warning, the before pictures are a huge mess. And the after pics may not be 100% complete because as I continue through the house, more items could migrate to those spaces. But hopefully not many items will move lol! Also I will say that part of the problem with Luna and my sons bathroom was that it just needed to be cleaned up since I had just groomed Luna. The first 4 pics are of my bathroom, unfortunately there is only one before pic, but it was horrific. The next 6 are the other bathroom. I still need to declutter some of Luna’s grooming stuff under the sink.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
That reminds me I have to get up in my attic and hopefully my legs will allow that one day otherwise I am going to need to hire someone to bring boxes of stuff down so I can sort and get rid of them. I know I have a boxwood of McDonalds toys up there, my kids saved all that and possible some toys even though most have been re purposed. I also know there is a saddle and maybe some bits up there in a container too. My daughter hasn't ridden since we moved here sand that was 19 years ago. Well you have me thinking now. I think I will try and find a handy person to bring down the boxes so I can go thru them. The other part that makes it difficult for me to get rid of things is my adult daughters live at home so they have lots of stuff too and some we have hung onto in case they move and need furniture. Ugh.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
I moved last summer from a medium house to a small house. I couldn’t do much by myself and I had help. It took 3 months to do the whole house and I had been there 10 years.

I gave tons of stuff to charity. I still have a bit of clutter here downstairs, mainly because my kids are leaving some stuff here because they don’t have room for it. I’m hoping it goes away within the next year or so.

Now I really want to be careful not to accumulate too much.

I watched Marie Kondo on Netflix and liked her but after 2-3 episodes I find it lacks substance, it’s all the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts