Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spoo Princess (8 years old) has always been more aggressive around other dogs than I would like her to be. She has the "alpha" mentality and will always growl and even bully other dogs. This usually only happens with dogs she is unfamiliar with. Most dogs seem to just back off, especially younger pups. But occasionally she runs into a dog with a similar temperament and then things can get ugly. Because of this I take them almost exclusively to areas where there are no other dogs, not so easy to find anymore. What would you suggest to quell this behavior?

·
Premium Member
22,759 Posts
Are you really sure this is dominant type aggression or is it fear aggression (which I suspect is more common)?

One thing that could be tried is counter conditioning to elicit calm behaviors around other dogs. This takes a long time even with young dogs and will be all the more slow with an older dog.

·
Premium Member
22,759 Posts
If you don't think you can read her to understand what her deep motivation is, get a trainer to watch for a few sessions. They should also be able to show you how counter conditioning works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts