Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still a wanna-be spoo owner but I come on here daily and lurk. :) I so hope that we will have our own soon. We just need a few things to happen before I make that commitment.

But, while I've been researching and reading posts, etc. I've found that I really think agility training would be fun. I realized though, I probably have to be able to run in order to compete in this event, correct? I'm saddened by this. I have a really bad back that wouldn't always allow me to do this. I know I could do obedience or rally obedience - agility just seems so much more fun. Am I right in thinking there is no way to compete in agility if you can't actually run?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
YES!!! There are plenty of people who, if determined, can and DO teach their dog to compete in agility with very minimal running! Distance control will be *vital*, and obstacle distinction (ie knowing a tire vs a tunnel vs a jump) so you can use your body language and voice cues to be able to stand in the middle and direct the dog around fairly easily, only needing to move closer for tricky bits or something....

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
My friends and I compete on a regular basis against a man in a wheelchair and he does great. I know a lady that runs a really fast Terv and she can't run at all. These people just get themselves to key positions on course and direct their dog from there. Of course, their dogs were taught distance and verbal cues to make up for the handler being unable to keep up.

Necessity is the mother of all invention!

You should do agility with your dog - you will both enjoy it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yea! I was so sad yesterday when I thought I had to run. Now I'm excited again! :bounce: Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts