Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Candy was previously on Revolution but we changed her to Sentinel because she's just 4 months, finished with her shots and would have to keep visiting the vet to change the dosage with Revolution whereas Sentinel stays the same. So I have seen with my own eyes two fleas on Candy. I have read up on Sentinel. It makes the female flea sterile, so it cannot reproduce; however, if your dog goes into a flea infested area (I live on a farm property), the dog can still contract fleas...bottom line is I need to supplement the Sentinel to get rid of these existing fleas. What does everyone else use?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I use advantix and heart guard for mine.
Ditto, here.

I've always been nervous of the combo type drugs that do fleas and heartworms. Not sure why. My vet doesn't reccomend revolution for dog at all and I beleive has stopped carring it. Something about gaps in what it covers VS what she believes they need.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ditto, here.

I've always been nervous of the combo type drugs that do fleas and heartworms. Not sure why. My vet doesn't reccomend revolution for dog at all and I beleive has stopped carring it. Something about gaps in what it covers VS what she believes they need.
Revolution does not cover ticks....That is what it does not cover that dogs need. Advantage multi does not cover ticks either. Advantage also covers maquitoes and blood feeding flies as well. I use revolution for my cat but he is strictly indoor.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Even though I don't have my puppy yet, I called my vet to get prices on spaying, flea/heartworm protection, and shots. I wanted to be able to budget her first year. She recommended Sentinel and has not carried Revolution for dogs in a long while. They still carry it for cats.

After researching Sentinel, I am not convinced that is the way I want to go. Particularly after your experience. Sentinel doesn't cover ticks either. I also want tick protection. Then I start getting overprotective (?) and wonder if that is too many chemicals in her system.

It would be helpful to know what everyone is using in their neck of the woods. It sounds like Frontline used to be one of the best ones for fleas, but is no longer effective in a lot of locations. :mmph:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I knew it didn't do ticks and in Fla thats a big deal lol. I want to say there was something else it didn't cover or something heartgaurd does better. One of the internal parasites?? They strongly reccomend it for cats but not for dogs.

Frontline doesn't seem to be working well where I live, it's right down there with the walmart crap lol. Thats sad considering how much more expensive it is.
I'm noticing a trend in the grooming salon, Dogs on frontline or any flea preventative purchased off the shelf of a pet store are LOADED with fleas. Dogs on comfortis and Advantix have no fleas. I;ve only had one dog on revolution come in and she didn't have fleas either however the product was applied just three days ago when she was adopted.

Not very many people use products like program.. is that even still on the market? or Sentinal. I also don't see a alot of people using advantage here so I have no opinion on that one.

So far only one dog not on prevenative at all has been flea free, though his mother admits to using whatever she happens to pick up at the clinic if she see's a flea in the middle and last parts of the summer.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just had to deal with fleas... you could probably do a search for my posts. I got all sorts of awesome advice from poodle forum!

I used capstar (one time pill) and frontline.... apple cider vinegar/lavendar baths... worked like a charm!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts