Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really?!?!?! Why do people think it is ok to have their poo groomed every 7 months???? I have a couple of client that come in with poos and they want them all brushed out and to look pretty but they only come in every 5 to 10 months... grrrrr.... i have one on my table now that i did 7 months ago... and haven't seen since. she is not in too bad of shape but her tpkt is matted and her ears have some mats in them and we'll just have to see about her body. sigh.

So the question. What do i tell these people? is there any way to get them to come in on a regular basis. we have a pre book discount... but they haven't taken advantage of that yet, i just hate seeing these girls in such bad shape...
any sugg. would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
If they're matted, I shave them. :D If you don't take care of your dog, I'm not going to do it for you and you don't get a pretty groom!

There's a standard that came in every 5 months or so, sometimes longer, and she had to be completely shaved down. Despite only having been groomed a couple times in her life, she was a breeze on the table. Just amazing. That family recently got a new schnauzer puppy and gave the spoo back to the breeder.. the breeder said she would never look like that again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep they get buzzed! and they pay but it doesn't seem to phase them... happy note She's Spayed!!!!!!! little happy dance :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The good groomers around here require that you bring your dog in at minimum every 8 weeks. If you don't, they will drop you as a customer. Since they have waiting lists, they get to call the shots. :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
If they're matted, I shave them. :D If you don't take care of your dog, I'm not going to do it for you and you don't get a pretty groom!

There's a standard that came in every 5 months or so, sometimes longer, and she had to be completely shaved down. Despite only having been groomed a couple times in her life, she was a breeze on the table. Just amazing. That family recently got a new schnauzer puppy and gave the spoo back to the breeder.. the breeder said she would never look like that again.
This is probably a silly question but doesn't the schnauzer have to groomed as well?

·
Registered
924 Posts
If I had an owner ask me to comb out a matted dog I would tell them it would hurt the dog... so if they insisted it could be done I would tell them they had to stay and watch LOL! Worked everytime :) It didnt take too much for them to say to just shave them down!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
The good groomers around here require that you bring your dog in at minimum every 8 weeks. If you don't, they will drop you as a customer. Since they have waiting lists, they get to call the shots. :)
I can see just a couple of problems with this... one, if the owners can't find anyone to either groom (or at least shave) their poodle twice a year, it probably won't get done for a lot longer and cause even more discomfort for the poor dog.

The other one is that although I don't take Lucy to the groomer every 8 weeks, I AM anal about keeping her coat as nice as I possibly can (I'm even having success at taming the coat change monster with personal coaching from Barbara Bird at Chris Christensen!) I also do Lucy's FFT (or FF and Fanny now that she's in her continental) very regularly, so I don't take her in for a pro groom as often as 8 weeks apart... but when she DOES go, she's not matted, she's used to the grooming equipment and table, etc... So far my groomer hasn't complained too much, thank goodness!

I hope it never happens, but if by some strange occurance, Lucy gets severely matted, I will do whatever it takes to make her comfortable (including paying extra for a shave down) rather than put her through the pain of dematting...

·
Registered
159 Posts
If I had an owner ask me to comb out a matted dog I would tell them it would hurt the dog... so if they insisted it could be done I would tell them they had to stay and watch LOL! Worked everytime :) It didnt take too much for them to say to just shave them down!
I used to tell them to take the dog home and demat it themselves if they didn't want the coat shaved, because I refuse to inflict pain on an innocent dog. Especially since I know that the next time the dog comes in that it will be matted again. Most of the time the owners would consent to a shave, but there were a few who took their dogs home to brush them out. I would always have them buy a comb and dematter and show them how to use them. I can only think of one dog that ever returned mat free, and she had flaming red skin; she now comes in for monthly haircuts :D. All the rest of the dogs ended up coming back for a shave down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is probably a silly question but doesn't the schnauzer have to groomed as well?
Yup. My Schnauzer, Esme, gets haircuts just as often as Ivy (about every 3 weeks). She also needs her skirt combed all the time. Granted, she is alot smaller than Ivy, so it doesn't take nearly as much time. I can't even count how many schnauzers I have had to shave head to nubby tail because the owners didn't realize that they needed to be brushed. Not fun, because schnauzers (or really any dog, but they seem to be among the feistiest) who are not used to being groomed can be hell on the table.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Same here. I was new to poodles, and my groomer told me in no uncertain terms that I had a responsibility to the dog and she would only take him on if I committed to getting him done every 5-6 weeks. She's fantastic, and close, so I do as I'm told.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts