Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking the Pedigree dog breed selector quiz for fun and they suggested the miniature poodle for me. When I clicked on their profile for the mpoo it mentioned "some...may require careful socialization to prevent or reduce defensive aggressive tendencies."
I know this information is from Pedigree, not the Poodle Club of America... but how true is this really?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
... in terms of breed standard, I should say. Obviously every breed has individual cases of aggression.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
That sounds like nonsense to me. Miniature poodles in general are dog-friendly and human-friendly. Some may be a bit aloof to strangers but should never be aggressive. I don't think even reactivity really runs in the breed, though it's somewhat common in many breeds so it wouldn't be that unusual.

Poodles from backyard breeders have a reputation for being poor tempered, nervy, snappy, and yappy. But this is very different from a well bred poodle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those were my thoughts exactly, Raindrops. I was a bit surprised by this statement, but am still learning so I thought I'd put it out there.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yeahhhh Pedigree doesn't seem to be the most accurate thing. I mean:

What does this even mean? "Oh, yeah, usually I can keep my dog secure." ??? Like on your property I guess??? I am bewildered and bamboozled!!! It recommended mostly herding breeds to me... As well as a Chinese Crested and the Standard Poodle. I don't know if I would recommend the Chinese Crested to the same person that I recommend a Belgian Tervuren to, lol. It does say something similar about the Chinese Crested, as well as the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel:

"Their small size makes the Chinese Crested attractive to children; however, as with all dogs, extremely close supervision is needed to prevent accidental injury to the dog and its subsequently developing fear-based defensive aggression."

Which I guess I kind of get, defensive aggression can occur if the dog is injured by a kid.

But to answer your original question, Poodles should never be aggressive by nature.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to laugh at that question about keeping your dog secure, also found that bewildering, Floofypoodle.
Fortunately I didn't have high educations of the accuracy of this test, it was just a timewaster for me. Need a lot of those when you're recovering!

·
Registered
476 Posts
bahah sounds like bs to me..

aha you could own a a border collie or a bulldog with your little to none training experience, your apartment with no outdoor space, and your work schedule that has you away from home 12 hours at time!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aha you could own a a border collie or a bulldog with your little to none training experience, your apartment with no outdoor space, and your work schedule that has you away from home 12 hours at time!
Oh you've got to be kidding me! I knew I'd have to take it with a grain of salt going in, but that's just ridiculous! Ha ha!

So judging from the general accuracy of content on that dog food website, their miniature poodle profile is a bunch of hogwash.
Like I said, I wasn't expecting it to be the AKC but... really.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Umm, maybe it's late and I'm tired. I have never known a poodle ( in my small sample of maybe 5 ) that was in any way aggressive.

This concerns me,and maybe it is not accurrate, I just glanced through the responses:

" your apartment with no outdoor space, and your work schedule that has you away from home 12 hours at time!"

My poodle would NOT do well being at home alone for anywhere close to 12 hours at a time. I am hoping I mis-read this. Poodles are very bonded to their people and I do not think it is far to expect a poodle to be alone for 12 Hours a day.

If that is the case in your household, I would seriously re-think getting a pet ( dog/cat ).

·
Super Moderator
7,800 Posts
This concerns me,and maybe it is not accurrate, I just glanced through the responses:

" your apartment with no outdoor space, and your work schedule that has you away from home 12 hours at time!"

My poodle would NOT do well being at home alone for anywhere close to 12 hours at a time. I am hoping I mis-read this. Poodles are very bonded to their people and I do not think it is far to expect a poodle to be alone for 12 Hours a day.

If that is the case in your household, I would seriously re-think getting a pet ( dog/cat ).
I think Ava was just trying out the quiz, picking the most extreme answers to see what the results would be.

·
Registered
476 Posts
yeah I was just just clicking random crap just for fun :p

·
Registered
476 Posts
still WIILD that with the information I spammed into that site gave me those results LOL

Reactions: NaturalPoodle

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll say, Ava! Those results were just plain crazy.

Thanks to those who answered to the Poodle aggression question, as well!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do most of my reading up on Poodles from more trustworthy sources than Pedigree lol! Actually looking into books any PFers recommend specifically on the Poodle, that'll have to be my next forum search :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I once read on one of those breed overview sites that you must take your poodle to the groomer every 6 months :eek:

I think they made a typo or mistake somewhere and changed 6 weeks to 6 months. But I found it annoying and funny because this site claimed to help you find the most 'ethical' breed to buy. It said that there were welfare issues with breeding and keeping poodles because their fur can get matted. Essentially putting them in the same category as pugs and dachshunds who have conformation requirements that are problematic...

Well if you only groom a poodle every 6 months then yes you will have a welfare problem on your hands... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts