Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I would greatly appreciate your input.
My 2 year old standard shows teeth and I'm wondering if it's aggression. I have a link to a video below. Notice that shows teeth 3 times, including when he is jumping. He also shows teeth if I reprimand him.
Please ignore my embarrassing baby talk.
Thank you so much to anyone who responds!

·
Registered
243 Posts
My parents sheltie did this when he was happy. I also used to dog sit a doberman that smiled like that all the time when she was excited/happy to see you

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
A happy smile - dogs who live with people who smile a lot often mimic their expressions. I cannot see a trace of aggression, just soft eyes, soft mouth and a happy face. Making the face when reprimanded is probably an attempt at propitiation.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Well fjm, I had to look up "propitiation". I was pretty sure from context what it meant, but it was a new one for me. Thanks for challenging my vocabulary. Kahalaplum, my old girl used to smile when she knew she was in big trouble; usually for jumping up on the kitchen counter and getting into the breadbox. I could never stay mad at her when she made that sweet face.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
This made me smile. I think you have a very sensitive, happy boy ?

Edit: I babysat a doodle that did this when he saw my husband. He LOVED my husband. The lifted lips appeared to me as a show of pure submissive adoration, with a dash of over excitement.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Your dog is smiling ! Consider yourself one of the lucky ones !

I’ve had a Yorkie who did this, many years ago and it was so endearing ! I’ve encouraged other dogs to do it, to no avail. They either have it or they don’t.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Our last poodle used to smile. She had to be really excited to do it. One of her real sisters was also a smiler. My parent's Irish setter has a big grin that he holds for a long time whenever anyone comes into the house. He looks like the picture of a wolf in a fairy tale book, but he's so clearly happy when he does it.

Our poodle had ticklish lips. She would reflexively curl her lips if you tickled just above them. It made face shaving tricky.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
The body language of this dog is pure happy. Loose and wiggling, tail wagging rapidly, mouth open and relaxed. I see no signs of aggression in this video whatsoever.

Aggressive posture is stiff. Eyes are hard and intense. Tail may wag slowly. Mouth is often closed. Many dogs will freeze momentarily before air snapping or worse, biting. I see none of this here. Just one happy dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts