Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy has been having one of her gastric upsets, which didn’t worry me much till this afternoon when she had extremely bloody diarrhoea while we were out walking. A neighbour lost her dog to haemorrhagic gastroenteritis, so it has been on my watch out for list. I dashed both dogs back to the car, ready to drive to the vets, then remembered it’s Saturday so phoned them instead. Poppy was so bright and bouncy my worry abated a little, but the on-call vet agreed it could easily turn into a full blown emergency, and it would be best to start antibiotics at once. So a 20 mile drivel to meet her at the surgery there, where Poppy did a very good impression of a perfectly healthy dog - no fever, no tenderness, no dehydration, pink gums and bouncing in the hope of a treat.... She has started the ABs, had a very tiny supper of canned sensitive diet, which I now keep in the cupboard, and has now settled down for a snooze. I have poured myself a restorative whisky, and will be watching both of them like a hawk - if it is something infectious Sophy will probably get it too…

Thank heavens for a peace of mind bank account, and a car!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Will be keeping an eye on for updates, as you're able. Hope you all get some rest.

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far so good - she has asked for more food which I refused, has been out and strained a bit, but no more blood, chased next door's cat back into his garden, drunk a reasonable amount of water, and is now snoozing again. I think I might try for a few hours sleep in case of disruption in the early hours.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

·
Premium Member
23,184 Posts
Fingers and paws crossed for a quick and full recovery!

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Reactions: fjm and lily cd re

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Poppy was up a couple of times in the night, and then vomited blood streaked fluid around 7am. Straining a bit, but no real diarrhoea. I gave her a tummy settling tablet and, on the vet's advice, a tiny breakfast of sensitive diet - the current best practice is to feed little and often rather than to starve. I need to get the antibiotic into her next - the very young vet said to use gloves as it is possibly carcinogenic, which surprised me. On checking it online she meant it is possibly teratogenic, which as I am in my 60s is hardly an issue!

Poor Poppy is very miserable and uncomfortable, but reasonably settled - it's when she starts stretching and pacing I know she is in pain. So now it is keeping up the tablets and watchful waiting. The big danger is dehydration, but at the moment she is drinking well - should she deteriorate she would need to go on a drip ASAP. Vet told me to phone immediately if I have any concerns, and it is very reassuring to know there is advice available at the end of the phone line, and the vet hospital only half an hour's drive away (rather less than that yesterday, although I did try to stick to speed limits!).

I will get her in to see her usual vet tomorrow - Pippin is already booked in for a check up, and if necessary I can use that appointment and make another for Pip.

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Hope Poppy recovers quickly. Good thing you acted right away. Lily had a bout of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis about 8 years ago, it was very scary.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Good thoughts for Poppy! I hope she returns to good health in short order.

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, she has gone from moping to bouncing on the window sill to bark at the neighbours' dogs, so I think she is feeling rather better!

I found two formed but very soft, black poos on the emergency mat in the bathroom when I went up for a bath. It is usually Sophy that uses it, but Poppy slipped off upstairs at one point, and there were traces of grass, so I think they were hers, and a reasonably good sign. Oh the joys of pet ownership, when the colour and consistency of faeces becomes a topic of absorbing interest and concern...!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Good news! Hope the trend continues.

I’m a nurse, Conversations about poop and vomit are my wheelhouse ?

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Poppy is much better - lazy day yesterday with tiny meals and regular doses of medicine, then last night we went to bed around 8.30pm and slept till nearly 7.30am - she hardly stirred all night. This morning she was moderately bouncy, ravenous for breakfast, and no sign of the horrible vomiting that started our day yesterday. I suspect acute colitis rather than HGE, but am very glad I did not risk leaving it over the weekend. I will ask her vet about avoiding more episodes when we see him this morning, and stock up on emergency supplies at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
Does Poppy have any sort of formal diagnosis for her frequent tummy upsets?

My Gracie really did struggle so much with extreme reactions to food and stress and stomach acid, but I never got any answers from the various vets we visited.

For her, it began with bloody diarrhea as a puppy, which I at least managed to trace back to dehydrated liver treats, and then throughout her life: diarrhea in response to any excitement or food changes, and vomiting bile if she had too much fibre or didn't have some kibble before bed and again before any morning activity.

Luckily, a stable routine, occasional "reset days" of just plain white chicken or turkey, and a diet of Nutro Ultra Kibble soaked in a bit of water kept her going nicely for 14.5 years.

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We are just back from the vet’s. He reckons, given the very black, sticky poos she did yesterday morning, that it is probably a perforated ulcer. Treatment is just what she is already getting, but he recommended continuing the Zitac for several more days and keeping her on the sensitive diet permanently, limiting other food, including treats. He said anxiety and eating the wrong things are the probable cause of her IBS type gastric upsets, but this bout differs because of the quite considerable bleeding, hence the ulcer diagnosis. I shall bake some chicken and rice treats, and distribute those to the people who insist on giving her handfuls!

I now feel guilty for not being more sympathetic when she had me up in the night - shows how stoical even Poppy is, that she was not screaming in pain. The vet says she is doing well, and he doesn’t need to see her again unless things look dodgy.

Pippin cat, who also saw the vet this morning, is confirmed to be in remarkably good health for a big, nearly 17 year old cat with long term arthritis!

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Poor Poppy but it sounds like she’s getting over this and healing and you have a plan to avoid problems in the future which is good.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts