Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it turns out that the groomer didn't do that great of a job.

I noticed before his hair got curly again, but thought maybe it was just hair standing oddly on him... like a cowlick almost. Tate has fully de-fluffed from being at the groomer's and now all these random tufts of hair are sticking out all over his body. (Longer than the rest of his hair.) As well as his top knot is oddly uneven, like an accidental chunk was taken out and tried to be covered up. I've been finding them and cutting them off with scissors, but I would think that before I was called to come pick him up that someone would have given him a thorough once-over.

I understand that he is a dog, and dogs are wiggly, and really on the same level of a 2 year old getting their hair cut... but it just kind of bothers me that more attention wasn't paid to cutting his hair on the big parts of his body - like his back and sides.

That, and don't mark that he got an A+ on his doggy report card if he really wasn't that great. If he's bad, I would be happy to bring him in more often for feet and sanitary touch ups to get him more used to being at the groomer... but how am I supposed to know if no one tells me the truth?

*sigh* Maybe I'm nit-picking this too much. Just tell me if I am. It just kinda bothers me that I paid to have my dog's hair cut, and I'm ending up cutting quite a bit off myself because there are hairs that are twice as long as the rest still sticking off of him.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I know what you mean, Panda came home with longer hair on the side of his lip and under his eye, we trimmed the one on his lip but daren't touch his eye. I appreciate that Panda has only been clipped 3 times and this was his first full groom though so he is bound to be wiggly.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Something similar happened to me the first time I used our regular groomer. I just called her and told her (politely) and she told me to bring him back over and she would correct it. And she did--and that's why she is now our regular groomer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The groomer made the same mistakes when Stella went in for her haircut. I had been trimming her face and feet but the groomer left them very uneven and I found tufts of long hair. Now I am looking for a new groomer.:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
bummer :( maybe call and ask if there was a problem. sounds like the groomer didn't go back over during the final clipping/scissoring (dunno what kind of cut you got) to fluff and refluff the hair to make sure it was all even.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't get me wrong, I love the ladies that work there. They're adorable, and they love Tate to death. They're always excited to see him, and he is just as excited to see them. But the haircuts I'm getting aren't rocket science. I'm not getting any patterns set... usually just his entire body at one length, and this time we shaved the ears and started to grow out a little beard. No rosettes, no bracelets...

From everything I've read on several different forums (when I first got him), I shouldn't be taking him there anyway. They use the cage dryers, and I'd read before that that was enough for many people to just say no.

It's a small shop, owned by a woman and her daughter... so they don't have the newest and the best, but they make do and from the other dogs I have seen while dropping off/picking up, they SEEM to do a good job. (Emphasis on seem.) They're the sweetest people... but if I were getting my hair cut by the most adorable hairdresser, and she kept messing up my hair, I wouldn't continue to go back. I'm torn.

I have info for another groomer in the area - kindly given to me by one of or awesome members - but haven't called her yet... maybe I will go get his feet/sanitary touched up by her to see how T does with her.

I would be really gung ho about learning to do it all myself (because then I have noooo one to blame but ME), but I'm a littler nervous after my previous hack job on his hair, and cutting BOTH OF his little flappies - you know, the skin that goes from leg to tummy. I felt so bad! And oh... the blood. It was traumatizing.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I have a cage dryer that I use all the time, BUT it's never used on a curly coated dog (ie poodles/bichons) or I'd never be able to get an even clip on them! perhaps that is the problem; if they're cage drying a poodle then there's no way they can get the coat straight and fluffy enough to get a smooth even clip...

Ok, so you love the ladies, but the groom isn't coming up to par? Have you talked to them about it???? Seeing both you and Tate like the place and the people I'd be first recommending you talk to them about being less than happy about the quality of the groom. I know I'd hate to find out later that a good client decided to go elsewhere over the style or something that I'd done, when I can easily and happily work with a good client in making them happy with the groom!

Talk to your groomers. Ask them if he can be force dried right through rather than cage dried (there is NOTHING wrong with the proper use of cage driers; they are only as lethal as sharp scissors and clippers that we have to learn and know how to use correctly too!!) or at least talk to them about bringing him back in to fix up missed bits this week...

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
When I dry Vegas I turn the cage dryers around and have two blowing soft air on him while I'm using two force dryers to dry him (I like it done FAST!) But the ones blowing soft air are blowing only on the already dry hair, and I use them hoping that the mist I blast off him doesn't go right back onto him, but rather gets blown away by the soft dryer.

Curly hair can be iffy, if you didn't blow it dry perfect, then what may look like a perfect fluffy cut might turn into an uneven one when it unfluffs if some hair wasn't dried straight. Don't be afraid to call the groomer and ask if the groomer that did him can do a few fixes, I'm never afraid to fix dogs whos owners wanted them a little different. I would much rather deal with someone that wanted it fixed than to just talk to them on the phone and have them bitch about it to me and say they're going somewhere else and just called to complain for no reason. (It happens.)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for your replies... I guess I never actually took into consideration that talking to them might fix the problem. Most of the time I'm very non-confrontational, and tend to well up in tears... even if it's nothing big, lol. (Any Grey's Anatomy fans? If you are... just think... Arizona Robbins talking to the chief. I cry for no reason :) ) As of now, I think I've lobbed off all the stray hairs myself, but will call them when they are next open to ask if they have any other way of drying him. They have the oddest hours, so it's hard to catch them actually open!

Haha, wish I lived near some of you groomers on PF... then my life would be so much easier!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts