Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_7612 (2).jpg
Please think good thoughts for my boy.

After all the vet visits, tons of meds, loads of tests, a lousy diagnosis of pseudo cystic pancreas and pancreatitis.

Walter has had a pancreatitis flare up that was making him aggressive because of the pain he was in. Two weeks ago he bit me in the back of the head right after I updated he was doing well, he was put on heavy duty pain meds, anti nausea meds, that helped a lot but he started throwing up again this past weekend, the vet put him on corticosteroids, a risky move with the pancreatitis, it will either help tremendously or make the pancreatitis much, much worse.

It seems to be working, as you can see he looks very relaxed and happy looking again I finally feel I have my boy back . But I worry it might not last

If this treatment fails doing a surgical biopsy would be next, this doesn't bode well for Walter. Walter's pancreas is full of pseudo-cysts, treating, draining these "cysts" is extremely risky.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Aww I am sorry to see this news. Fingers and paws crossed here.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
That’s too bad Twyla. Poor Walter.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Sending positive thoughts and prayers for Walter Gray. I'm so sorry he is having such a bad time.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Poor Walter, I sure hope this latest attempt brings him lasting relief and to you, peace of mind! You are the best pet Mama! You go the extra mile with all the love and compassion that is possible!
:hug:

XXXXXXXXXXHUGSXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Me & Molly

Reactions: twyla and Mfmst

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Poor Walter, he hasn’t been very lucky lately.

When I saw the picture, I immediately thought he looked very unhappy and uncomfortable. Funny you say he looks relaxed. Maybe you’ve seen him in so much pain that this looks comfortable in comparison ?

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
All good thoughts and paws crossed for you here - be well, Walter.

Reactions: twyla

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Wishing comfort and relief for you and Walter.

Reactions: twyla

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Twyla I am sorry for Walter Grey. I have heard that pancreatitis in cats is on going and will be create problems thru pout their life. Hopefully it sounds like your vet is a good one and will find the combination that works for Walter. My friends is a big cat person..she took in her dads cat when he passed, it was diabetic.. she has been treating this cat for 8 years and suddenly it has gone into remission. I can hardly believe it. But unfortunately he is now quite old and is having many other health issues. She can hardly get him to eat anymore so she is cooking for him with hopes. I hope Walter remains feeling well.

·
Premium Member
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, Walter is being very sweet and affectionate, which is not like him. I am usually treated like a lackey only appreciated for my opposable thumbs :wink:

I talked to my vet we will continue to give Walter the corticosteroids every three days and carefully watch Walter in the meantime.

This was Walter right after he bit me in the head wide eyed and distressed and not only at the vet.
43756841_10212329519857699_1226744935793819648_n.jpg
This is Walter today happily waiting for his dinner, looking pretty freaking pleased with himself
IMG_7613.jpg

I wanted a cat so bad when I got Walter. I wanted to rescue an older cat. The poor cat had been at the shelter for almost a year when I brought him home, he has had a tough shake in life, he was a abandoned because his owners got divorced, he contracted ring worm was in isolation for months undergoing treatment. Walter was diagnosed with megacolon two years ago it is just not fair he continues to have such painful troubles.

I will continue to do my best by Walter no matter, keep my big guy in your thoughts, please send good thoughts that he can stay the course

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
That was so kind of you to rescue Walter. Older cats were the hardest to place at the pet shelter where I used to volunteer. The kittens went quickly, but not the cats. No one wanted a rabbit. I will keep sending good thoughts for him to continue to look satisfied.

·
Premium Member
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Mfmst, I have adopted all my kitties, most of them were adults. I've even adopted some truly ancient kitties. I've had cats with medical issues before, I usually was able with my vet's help able to be them sorted out, I just hate to see my boy in such pain.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Continued good thoughts . Two of my cats are rescues. One "lucky Conrad" was found near a bayou, someone told my daughter there were several kittens back there. It was behind place she was working, so off she goes and found only one. I am guessing alligators were present in the area. He was not more than two weeks old, I hand fed him with a eye dropper or my finger. He is a big boy now. I will have to take a picture. Then we have Gracie, we got her from the shelter after my daughter had some issues and thought it would be a good companion for her. Lucky became boded to me. Then a friend who I previously purchased a persian cat from was going our of business and gave me Penelope. She is a very small cat, maybe 6 lbs, We lost her "cousin" a few years back to renal failure, his name was Harley. I think Penny is not the healthiest cat but holds her own.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
My SIL’s cat showed up at their back door as a kitten during a terrible storm. Of course, they took him in. He is a beautiful all grey male and whenever Walter Grey is mentioned, I think of Max. He mewed at the right door.

·
Premium Member
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
IMG_7615.jpg
Another few days has passed by and Walter is still doing well, he is back to his old self. I do hope it lasts for him,

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm glad to hear that Walter Gray is doing better. He's had a rough go of it, and I'm sure you have, too. Hang in there!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts