Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys feed your pups that’s affordable but still good quality? I’ve been told that the PC dog food is good? Nutro? Kirkland Nature’s Domain? Any other suggestions? I don’t think I will be able to afford Acana on ODSP, I don’t get my pup until Nov/Dec and am doing my research but want to provide the best that I can.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I've heard the Kirkland is good. I am a fan of Purina Pro Plan. They make tons of formulas including for puppies. https://www.chewy.com/s?query=purina pro plan&nav-submit-button=

I recently had to purchase Purina Beyond Simply9 at the grocery store because our Chewy order for their regular Canidae had not arrived in time. Wow, they went nuts for it and didn't suffer any digestive issues! I think they only make an adult formula--I got them the lamb. But yes, there are plenty of good foods that don't cost as much as Acana or Orijen (and those are so rich, they tend to make many dogs sick).

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I use Victor dog food. Its affordable. You should go to dogfoodadvisor.com you can get different ratings for many different foods, then you can choose. I look at it in affordability and availability. You should also keep the pup on the breeders food for about a month then transition in order not to upset their stomach. I always use the 4 week plan 25% new 75% old, week two 50/50 week 3 75/25 week 4 100 percent new.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard the Kirkland is good. I am a fan of Purina Pro Plan. They make tons of formulas including for puppies. https://www.chewy.com/s?query=purina pro plan&nav-submit-button=

I recently had to purchase Purina Beyond Simply9 at the grocery store because our Chewy order for their regular Canidae had not arrived in time. Wow, they went nuts for it and didn't suffer any digestive issues! I think they only make an adult formula--I got them the lamb. But yes, there are plenty of good foods that don't cost as much as Acana or Orijen (and those are so rich, they tend to make many dogs sick).

I thought Purina was a bad food, similar to IAMS etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use Victor dog food. Its affordable. You should go to dogfoodadvisor.com you can get different ratings for many different foods, then you can choose. I look at it in affordability and availability. You should also keep the pup on the breeders food for about a month then transition in order not to upset their stomach. I always use the 4 week plan 25% new 75% old, week two 50/50 week 3 75/25 week 4 100 percent new.

That one doesn’t look like it’s available in Canada. I do check dog food advisor but sometimes it has food I don’t consider quality such as science diet rated highly so I don’t know what to make of their ratings. My breeder feeds an online pet food called TLC.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Purina dog chow is lower quality, but the newer Purina formulas are pretty good, actually. Many show breeders feed it to their dogs.

And on the topic of Iams, we used to feed that to our dogs in the 1980s and they lived to be 16-18 years old, so :dontknow: My friend who is a former show breeder of Scottish Deerhounds has always fed Iams to her dogs and continues to feed her three dogs Iams and they are super healthy.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
That one doesn’t look like it’s available in Canada. I do check dog food advisor but sometimes it has food I don’t consider quality such as science diet rated highly so I don’t know what to make of their ratings. My breeder feeds an online pet food called TLC.

Science Diet is another one we have fed over the years with NO problems. Science Diet has saved Maizie every time she gets a bout of gastritis. Where do you get the idea it's a bad food? I would listen to vets and breeders over lay people.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
My Asta loves Nature's Recipe - anything they make. I'd call it a mid-range food. Very affordable. He is a real picky eater and this stuff is the only one he likes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Science Diet is another one we have fed over the years with NO problems. Science Diet has saved Maizie every time she gets a bout of gastritis. Where do you get the idea it's a bad food? I would listen to vets and breeders over lay people.

Maybe their dog food is better quality than their cat food then. I am still working on my dog ingredient reading vs cats, but their food sucks for cats. My cat was so dandruffy on their food.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
To clarify, I am also talking about the prescription Science Diet, which may be way different from the other formulas.

Well, I hope you find a great food for your pup that is affordable. There are so many choices out there, it is very overwhelming, I know!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To clarify, I am also talking about the prescription Science Diet, which may be way different from the other formulas.

Well, I hope you find a great food for your pup that is affordable. There are so many choices out there, it is very overwhelming, I know!

It’s obnoxiously overwhelming . I just want to do the best I can for my pup while also being able to afford to eat lmao.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Believe it or not, Walmart has a 4-5 star food called 'Pure Balance' that is reasonably priced. I have purchased both the Venison recipe and the Salmon recipe and both were liked by Molly!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Believe it or not, Walmart has a 4-5 star food called 'Pure Balance' that is reasonably priced. I have purchased both the Venison recipe and the Salmon recipe and both were liked by Molly!

That is a good price! I know my future roommate feeds his dog Nutro from there.

Looking more into the TLC food that my breeder feeds, I wasn’t looking into buying online food but dog food advisor rates it 4.5 and it’s only 63.95 for 30 pounds. Does anyone else feed TLC puppy or dog food?

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I just found out Petco is also in Canada, and Petco's 'Whole Hearted' line is also good and is very reasonable!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm currently feeding my boy Pro Plan puppy. I know some will say it's not "the best" but he's doing well and that's my litmus test. Honestly, I wouldn't stress too much about food. Dogs evolved eating human scraps, meaning they probably got a lot of "bread" with unprocessed grains and rabbit meat and bones.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Nutro pretty much ruined my previous sweet girl's stomach, and for years I read others post similar stories. However, she passed in 2007, and hadn't eaten it for years before then, so I do not know now. I do know it will not cross my door again, though.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Just saw you are considering buying huge packages. Be very, very careful about storing that food, and keep it in the original bag inside whatever you put it in, is what I've read. Food can easily go rancid and/or get moldy or get bugs, and that will make a dog ill.

If you will only have a single dog, and until you find a food that you *know* suits his/her stomach, it's better to buy smaller packages, as some experimentation is typical.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
take a look at viking queen's posts in the thread 'dry food drama making me crazy.' some good points to think about. a lot of us don't even feed ourselves very well (me included) because we fall for this or that fad. may not be the best rule for our dogs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
take a look at viking queen's posts in the thread 'dry food drama making me crazy.' some good points to think about. a lot of us don't even feed ourselves very well (me included) because we fall for this or that fad. may not be the best rule for our dogs.

Thank you I will check it out!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just saw you are considering buying huge packages. Be very, very careful about storing that food, and keep it in the original bag inside whatever you put it in, is what I've read. Food can easily go rancid and/or get moldy or get bugs, and that will make a dog ill.

If you will only have a single dog, and until you find a food that you *know* suits his/her stomach, it's better to buy smaller packages, as some experimentation is typical.

If I go with the breeder food, TLC only ships 30lbs in a 2 15lb bag case. So if it’s stored unopened would it still go rancid? My future roommates keeps his dumped in a big tote storage bin.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts