Poodle Forum banner

Advice- Spoo being rehomed, afraid of stangers

4K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  jojogal001 
#1 ·
A 2 year old Spoo is being rehomed, the owner used her for breeding doodles. I heard about it and wanted to help. Sadly she is not fixed, and would need a full vet work up immediately. After meeting her, my concern is how afraid of strangers she is. She obviously was not socialized. She was happy with the husband and wife, did not show any fear. After visiting her for 45 mins she came over and took treats from my hand but when they the food ran out, she ran away. She would come with in a foot of me but never up to me. She did not show fear of anything else and when the owner called her she came happily. The owner did admit that when people came to the house for her puppies she would sit far away and bark at everyone.
I am concerned that taking a dog out of the only environment she has know, would scare her even more and she would be aggressive. I am putting calls into trainers this morning, but would love to hear your thoughts. I also asked the owner if she would give it up to a local poodle rescue and the owner refused.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I imagine you could work her thru some of the fears if you had her in your home, She would probably be fine with you given time. I'm not so sure how well she would do in public settings. I think your going the right route with checking with trainers. Only 2 and already used for breeding i sad. Depending on the rehoming fee I would take her just to get her out of that environment. I hope you find a trainer that would work with her.
She is 2 and has already had two litters back to back! It's heartbreaking. I just spoke with her vet. She said she is up to date on shots at least and the vet did not think she would turn her stranger fear into aggression. But, the vet did not think the owner was closing down. The vet thought she was keeping her other two Spoos and would continue to breed doodles. The owner told me she was not going to breed any more and that is why I wanted to help. I think I am being lied to.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
How much is the owner asking for this dog? They aren't going to give it to a rescue because the rescue won't pay them for the dog. I am sure a trainer will give you better advice than I can, but I honestly feel that this dog would be better off in a quieter home that doesn't have a lot of visitors.
The owner wants $500. My house is not quiet. I have two teenage boys. I am not sure my house would be the best place for this girl. I would not want to scare this poor dog even more, but the house she currently is in has 2 young kids and she was not at all scared of them or the noise when I visited.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Do you want a dog who will be timid for the rest of her life? She probably would get to be comfortable in your house, although maybe not with your kids friends coming in and out, but you probably wouldn't be able to take her anywhere without her being fearful. I have lived with two timid dogs, and it's not fun. You always have to pay attention to not upsetting the dog. She might become a fear biter, and I have lived with that, too. Not at all fun.

The second thing is that you would be supporting this person's doodle business. The same reasons for not buying a puppy mill dog apply here--you may be saving one deserving dog, but you are perpetuating the business.
That is exactly how I felt when I found out she will continue to breed. I wanted to step in when I was told she was shutting down, but I do not want to ever help someone like this continue to breed.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
I don’t want to add my dollars into unethical breeder coffers, but have read of various breed rescues attending dog auctions just to get their breeds out of the system. I wonder if you could contact the local poodle rescue, and offer to act as a straw buyer on their behalf. The dog will need to be spayed/gastropexied right away, plus the behavior issues. Rescues could handle all that and would love to help such a young dog. Your have a kind heart but her greeders are not worthy of it. I suspect they are limiting the number of breeders on site to skirt kennel licensing regulations.
I did contact the local rescue and asked if I could do exactly that. I was willing to buy her and hand her over immediately. I do not have experience rehabilitating dogs but was willing to hire the proper trainer, get her fixed and hand her over to rescue if my house was not a good fit. I wanted to help when I was told the woman was not going to breed any more, but might have to pull out completely now. I am waiting to hear back from the rescue to see if they can help me. Thank you very much to everyone for giving me such great advice, I really appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.