Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

My little guy arrives next month.

He is very sweet and calm, but he is a bit shy.. (not afraid or jittery, just shy)

He is 3 years old, and not used to a lot of people, so I wanted to socialize him a little. My house and environment is very quiet and calm so on an everyday basis he won't have a lot of humans to socialize with.

Does anyone have any advice of what I can do without overwhelming him? I want to be able to bring him out with me in public and have him be comfortable and not nervous with other people.

Thank you!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Always let him approach people, dogs, things he is nervous about on his own, don't try to force him and don't let people swoop down on him. It's hard for people not to lean over a small dog when they are greeting, but try to get them to let him sniff the back of their hand and pet from under the chin, not on top of the head. If he wants to retreat, let him.

If he's afraid of something, just pass it by, don't make a fuss about it. Let him hide behind you if he wants, let him know you've got his back and will protect him. Don't make a fuss, don't scold him for being timid. You want to ignore fearful behavior and try to notice and encourage any signs curiosity or attempt to approach a scary thing and praise and encourage those behaviors.

Find a place where you can sit and just watch people go by. Some of them will want to stop and pet him. Again, tell them under the chin and don't bend over him any more than they have to. If he wants to back away let him, and tell the people that he's not friendly. Many people see this as a challenge and respond with "Oh, all dogs love me" and try to barge in and pet the dog anyway. Don't let them. Be as rude as you need to be to protect your dog.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Dog friendly places you can go: Petsmart, HomeDepot. Most sidewalk cafes allow dogs under the table. Other big box home stores probably allow dogs, but I only know about Home Depot.

One thing you should not do is put your dog in the shopping cart. That's likely to really scare him/her.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
I agree with both posts above and really would make sure you go by baby steps. Learn to read body language as to how your dog is feeling and respect his expressions of nervousness and such. Look for tense laid back ears, tight lips (also any curl of the lips), tail down, "whale eye" (showing whites), trying to hide, a growl and such.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I would look for a dog club that offers basic obedience for dogs (not a puppy class)- the kind of club that also offers other dog sports such as agility and rally etc.

The class will help you get started with training your dog and you'll have a knowledgeable resource in the teacher and club if you have some problems with socialization.

My minipoo was almost a year old when I got her - I took her to a basic obedience class followed by the AKC Canine Good Citizen etc. and I found those two classes invaluable in learning how to handle my dog in public and socialization.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Everybody so far have given you great advice! I sat with my girl on bench, in a mall, armed with treats and a cup of coffee. Stayed only as long as it took to finish my coffee so she was never overwhelmed by the ruckus going on around us (ie; shopping carts, strollers, skateboards, running children, other dogs, noisy vehicles) A treat was always given to anyone who wanted to pet her ........ It worked for us. and she went on to be pretty bombproof! LOL!

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Excellent advice, but I would add that at three years old there is no rush - give her time to relax and trust you before you work on her nervousness out in the world. One bad experience while she is still anxious about being in a new place, with new people and everything strange, could set you back months, so it really is worth taking things very slowly at first.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I invited my friends with dogs to come for cocktails while the dogs got to meet each other. My friends played with my dog and I played with theirs. I trained them at home to stay n a blanket before I took them in the public. I take them to restaurants where you eat outside. It worked great on all but Cayenne, she is excellent when taken someplace unless she sees a big dog she is 3.6 pounds and the bigger the dog the more she wants to go after it. I still keep the leash on them, I should have named her TAZ, she has the little man syndrome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts