Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all iv got beautiful mini poodle Marley the advice I’m looking for is I’ve had mild stroke which has left me weak in left arm and leg just wondering if you could give me advice on best cut for him to make things easier for myself to keep him smart and Matt free he goes to groomer but for daily brushing thank you
Dog Sunglasses Dog breed Carnivore Water dog

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
He's a doll! Have you asked your groomer to suggest a low-maintenance clip for him? If you could manage a little brushing, you could keep a slightly longer head and tail, and keep his body and legs short enough that they don't need much brushing. If you don't mind a clean face, that would be one less area to worry about in between groomer visits.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's a doll! Have you asked your groomer to suggest a low-maintenance clip for him? If you could manage a little brushing, you could keep a slightly longer head and tail, and keep his body and legs short enough that they don't need much brushing. If you don't mind a clean face, that would be one less area to worry about in between groomer visits.
I’ll ask her she coming next week he’s over due with me being poorly thank you.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
4,633 Posts
Short hair is the answer for low maintenance. A shorter Retriever Clip (#7 body/#5 legs) is my go to for summer and low maintenance. This cut is still poodley and requires brushing the tail, ears, and top knot. Depending on how long these are, determines how frequently you'll need to brush (from every day to twice a week, I'd say).
Dog Plant Flowerpot Water dog Carnivore

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
I’m so sorry you suffer a stroke. Marley is adorable.

I too agree with asking your groomer. I was once in a grooming salon and had my minipoo in a Miami and someone came in with their poodle. After seeing my dog, she wanted the same clip. The groomer tried to talk her out of it, but then agreed to do it when the lady insisted. Groomer then explained quietly to me that this poodle was overweight and had short legs. Everything about poodle grooming is about balance…. Pompoms on the legs would make the short legs look shorter and the close cut on the body wouldn’t mask the dog being overweight. IOW, this was a flattering cut on my minipoo but a poor choice for this dog.

OTOH my girls tail looks better with a pompom but my male’s tail looks great in a carrot style as part of his German clip.

I do suggest a German clip, basically short everywhere including ears and tail. There is a top knot but that can be a little shorter. It’s very stylish and easy to maintain.

Edited to add a picture of my puppy Theo in. German clip. He’s looking a little scrufly here, he was due for a grooming session. very easy maintenance because its short everywhere.
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Yellow

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Short hair is the answer for low maintenance. A shorter Retriever Clip (#7 body/#5 legs) is my go to for summer and low maintenance. This cut is still poodley and requires brushing the tail, ears, and top knot. Depending on how long these are, determines how frequently you'll need to brush (from every day to twice a week, I'd say). View attachment 495890
Beautiful may I take a picture to show groomer please.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Would something like this work? Depending on what you like you could leave the ears longer and/or the the tail puffy. There are definitely options. This cut has worked really well for us and while, as with any poodle, I still have to keep on top of things, Joey is pretty easy peasy when it comes to daily grooming maintenance.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would something like this work? Depending on what you like you could leave the ears longer and/or the the tail puffy. There are definitely options. This cut has worked really well for us and while, as with any poodle, I still have to keep on top of things, Joey is pretty easy peasy when it comes to daily grooming maintenance.

View attachment 495898
Beautiful that looks more easy to manage Marley likes been brushed and pampered I’ll show my groomer all these lovely pictures everyone sent thank you.

·
Administrator
14,844 Posts
I’m so sorry you’ve had a stroke. :( I hope you’re managing okay as you recover.

With short body, short ears, and a short tail, I can forego brushing at home for about 4 weeks. Any length, though, such as fluffy ears, is going to require maintenance.

I would be honest with your groomer (and yourself) about what you’re presently able to do, and go with whatever they recommend.

As we’ve been travelling, I had Peggy’s groomer take her down short all over. At this length, she occasionally required a sweater indoors, and then, as the summer weather heated up, I had to be mindful of how much time she spent in the sun. Such a short clip provides very little insulation.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grey Companion dog

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m so sorry you’ve had a stroke. :( I hope you’re managing okay as you recover.

With short body, short ears, and a short tail, I can forego brushing at home for about 4 weeks. Any length, though, such as fluffy ears, is going to require maintenance.

I would be honest with your groomer (and yourself) about what you’re presently able to do, and go with whatever they recommend.

As we’ve been travelling, I had Peggy’s groomer take her down short all over. At this length, she occasionally required a sweater indoors, and then, as the summer weather heated up, I had to be mindful of how much time she spent in the sun. Such a short clip provides very little insulation.

View attachment 495899
Thank you I’ll remember that she’s beautiful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your health challenge, and I wish you continued healing and improvement.

Marley is so cute! What a little doll. There are so many options for poodles, as you've seen from all the adorable pictures on this post. My husband has always preferred a really short-all-over cut, so that 's what we've done with our last three dogs. It's super easy to maintain, and it's also a good excuse to go clothes shopping! Our little Sweetie amassed quite a wardrobe. LOL

Wishing you and Marley the best. 💖

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Mammal Working animal

1 - 20 of 22 Posts