Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys! I have a standard apricot poodle and he just turned 1 year old. I was wondering if you guys could rec shampoos and conditioners for him. My problem with him is that he's prone to skin infections. Of course I've taken him to the vet and he did go on meds but sometimes he still gets a couple of these super tiny things... They look like very small pimples on his inner thigh and sometimes by the groin. He also gets dry skin and tbh his coat tends to look dry by the tail. Any recs or advice on dealing with this? I don't care about the cost because I'll do whatever it takes to make him happy.

Also, what brushes do you use? He HATES the slicker brush but doesn't mind regular combs and brushes. I feel like my problem area is the face. It's not shaved and I have to stay on top of it or else it gets matted.

Thank you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use baby shampoo exclusively on my poodle mix who had has skin and allergy issues his whole life (he’s 13). I personally use the Parent’s Choice lavender (Walmart private label) because it smells good and is cheaper than J&J. I don’t use conditioner on him. Hope that helps!

I know you’ve said you been to the vet, so you’ve probably already heard this. Skin issues can be caused by things like food allergies that won’t get better until the root cause is addressed.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use baby shampoo exclusively on my poodle mix who had has skin and allergy issues his whole life (he’s 13). I personally use the Parent’s Choice lavender (Walmart private label) because it smells good and is cheaper than J&J. I don’t use conditioner on him. Hope that helps!

I know you’ve said you been to the vet, so you’ve probably already heard this. Skin issues can be caused by things like food allergies that won’t get better until the root cause is addressed.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the info. I think I'll give it a try. I just want something that will help out his skin, you know?

Tbh, I don't think his vet feels like it's the food. I'm not sure if maybe it was the weather because it was really bad in July and that's when he had to go on meds for it. He's also bad with his ears. Poor guy has so much hair in them that it's a welcome mat for yeast. We're very strict about what we feed him. No junk. Although, he doesn't eat grain free and I've heard that grain free can help but at the same time I heard that it's actually bad for their hearts. He eats Nutro. It's a chicken/sweet potato/brown rice blend and gets fed about 1 cup 3 times a day. Treats are usually non gmo and I try for organic.

·
Super Moderator
5,118 Posts
An important note from that AKC page, regarding human shampoo:

"One thing you don’t want to use is shampoo made for humans. The pH level of our skin is different from that of dogs: ours ranges from 5.5-5.6, while dogs’ pH is between 6.2-7.4. Human shampoo will be too acidic for dogs and can cause skin irritations. If you’re going to mix up your own dog shampoo, you’ll be aiming for a pH level around 7. Luckily, others have done the math for you and devised simple homemade dog shampoo recipes."

I didn't know that and always assumed baby shampoos would be gentlest.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sometimes bribery is the answer lol

If your pup is eating something he’s allergic to, he’s gonna be allergic to it whether it’s in “junk,” conventionally grown, organic, gmo, non gmo, whatever.

Ear infections are also associated with allergies. Get him tested if you can, if not for anything else but just to rule it out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
An important note from that AKC page, regarding human shampoo:

"One thing you don’t want to use is shampoo made for humans. The pH level of our skin is different from that of dogs: ours ranges from 5.5-5.6, while dogs’ pH is between 6.2-7.4. Human shampoo will be too acidic for dogs and can cause skin irritations. If you’re going to mix up your own dog shampoo, you’ll be aiming for a pH level around 7. Luckily, others have done the math for you and devised simple homemade dog shampoo recipes."

I didn't know that and always assumed baby shampoos would be gentlest.

I have heard that too but never had an issue with the baby shampoo. I think (don’t quote me, not a chemist) the baby shampoo is more basic than adult people-shampoo.

It does sound kind of fun to experiment with homemade shampoos. You would have a lot more control of recipe and could change it to suit your pup!

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Mint, I would definitely consider the skin and ear problems maybe caused by food - either an allergy or irritant. If not directly caused by food, food might be aggravating. It's not a question of junk food or good food - it's the basic ingredients. My dog is allergic to legumes and fish. You can find both of those ingredients in junk food and in healthy food - both of which I can't give to my dog or she will bet sick. Food can also impact ears - although you mention he has a lot of hair in his ears. I"m sure you are taking care to thin out that hair and keep the ears clean and dry. There are certain products you can use in the ear to help - probably your vet has discussed ear care with you.

I have used a human shampoo on my dog - one without any perfume/scents/fragrances. Whether it's a dog and/or human shampoo - looks for one without perfume/scents or fragrances which can be irritating and drying to the skin. I'm not concerned with the difference in pH because you use a lot of water both to wet the hair and in rinsing which changes the pH. Plus shampoo is only left on the skin a short time. If this was a product that you left on the skin a long time, then it's more of a concern.

I do prefer certain dog shampoos over human shampoo because they are easier to rinse out. I spend a lot of time rinsing shampoo - shampoo left on the skin can be an irritant and drying.

As a child, I had such serious skin rashes that I was only allowed to bath with oatmeal until I was old enough to take showers. Oatmeal is wonderful for sensitive skin and I see that link had a recipe for oatmeal shampoo.

Perhaps while you are figuring out how to handle your dog's skin issues, it might make sense to shave your dog's face so you don't have problems develop along the lip line. It's easier to keep a shaved face clean than one with hair. You can grow the hair back once you have routine that works to keep his skin healthy and problem free.

Combs are the best to get down to the skin to keep any mats from forming.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My puppy had a yeast infection on his groin area and HexaDerm Max Shampoo cleared it up almost after the first time using it. I recommend using it when your puppy has major outbreaks. I think it’s gentle enough to use it often. It’s hard to find the shampoo online though. It’s usually out of stock from EntirelyPets and other retailers. I recently started using Fresh'n Clean Skin & Coat Essentials Purifying Medicated Shampoo and like it because it’s gentle. I ordered it from Amazon. I also use Dechra TrizCHLOR wipes, they are small circular medicated pads. They are good to use between washes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts