Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm very excited to be getting a spoo puppy at the beginning of September, and want to have everything ready for her. I would love to get some advice on sleeping arrangements. We have a 2-story house and two cats, who wander around freely at night. Originally I wanted to put the puppy in a crate in our guest room (next to our room--our husband doesn't want the dog in our room right now) and was thinking I could sleep in there with her the first few nights until she gets acclimated. This could work fine except that I will need to take her downstairs for potty breaks. Our last poodle, a mini, slept downstairs in a crate and I would literally pick him up and carry him outside, which worked very well since he never was on the floor inside until he had done his business outside, so it helped a lot with accidents. I am thinking this would probably be safest for the new dog, but I am concerned about the cats, which we didn't have then. I am worried about them hissing at the dog and scaring her! It would be difficult to keep them away if I am not there since they can easily jump over a baby gate.

Probably I am overworrying (LOL). If the puppy sleeps upstairs, I am worried that to avoid accidents I would need to carry her downstairs to go potty rather than just let her go down the stairs herself. I don't want to really carry her downstairs, especially during the night, since I am afraid of tripping while carrying the puppy (my daughter broke her ankle last year walking down some stairs so I am a bit paranoid!). I also thought of having puppy pads upstairs outside the crate, so she doesn't have to go downstairs during the night. I know some trainers think puppy pads can be confusing and it's better to avoid them if possible.

Probably she would be fine downstairs and I am just a worrywart! Please let me know what you all think...Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,819 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the cats scaring the puppy, as long as the puppy is confined in a crate. The puppy will probably be more curious than frightened by a hissing cat (at least until the first time he corners one.) My bigger concern is that the cats will tease the puppy, which could result in some frustrated barking in the middle of the night.

Right after I bring a puppy home I prefer to sleep on the sofa nearest the door with the puppy sandwiched between me and the sofa back. When puppy wakes me by squirming I tuck him under an arm and sprint for the door. Once the puppy gets to the point where he's sleeping most of the way through the night (or won't stay on the sofa) I switch to confining him in an x-pen or crate to sleep.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Our puppy was both pad and yard trained with no problems. He used the pads on the porch during the winter, then come spring we taught him to use the yard. He still uses the pads on rainy days or when we can't have our gates locked.

We crated our pup and took turns sleeping in the bed beside the crate for the first month. We carried him to the pad on the porch when he woke at night.

Have fun with your puppy and try not to overthink. Lots of things become more clear when we actually experience them.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I think keeping the crate downstairs will be fine. If the cats are bothering the crate you can always put an x pen around it. You can sleep downstairs on a couch (or airbed or sleeping bag w/e) the first few nights. Though I did not do this for my pup. He slept fine alone in the kitchen. He did cry for a while but he stopped and fell asleep alright.

·
Registered
Beau 1yr old Mini Poodle
80 Posts
My puppy Beau is 9 months old now and what I did at first was have him sleep in a play pen in my room with a washable pee pad down for him. He has no problem being trained to use the pads and go outside, in fact now at 9 months old he prefers to go outside and will only go potty on the pads if he really has no other choice. He is now crate trained and sleeps in there at night. I'm a night owl so I do take him out to go potty at about 2 am, and then he goes straight outside at about 7:30 am when my Mom takes him out.

I also have 2 cats and I'm not gonna sugar coat it, it has been a bit difficult to get the 3 animals to live together in peace. Mainly because Beau seems to think the cats are moving furry squeak toys. What I have found works the best (for me and Beau) is teaching the "leave it!" command and being strict about it. Under no circumstance is he allowed to bother/chase the cats, it is a work in progress but slowly things are settling down.

I also tend to be a bit of a worrier ;), and I had a lot of the same thoughts and worries before we brought Beau home. But everything has worked out really well, and I'm sure it will for you to. Enjoy your new baby and try not to worry too much. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
Good call on not carrying puppy down the stairs. That's how my last girl got severely injured: hip dislocation followed by a femoral head ostectomy. Extremely traumatic for all involved. :(

Peggy sleeps in a crate connected to an x-pen in the living room with no issue. The first few nights my husband slept on a cot next to her. But she slept fine each night until we woke her to potty. If she seemed a little restless afterwards, we sat on the floor with her until she fell back to sleep.

We also use a lightweight black blanket to cover the top and three sides of the crate, with only the side closest to the wall open for airflow.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I feel the puppy will be fine downstairs. We also have a two story home and that is what we did. The first week I did sleep on the couch so I could hear him, the 2nd week my daughter listened for him but by week 3 he was good, though I did wake up in the middle of the night and take him out anyway. I also have 3 cats that roam freely. It wasn't a problem at all. They were curious at first but mostly stayed away from the crate. (I also covered the crate with a blanket at night.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts