Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have started a list of names for our male standard pup we expect to get in the spring. We both like the name Cosmo but I am concerned there could be confusion with the command Come. I know we could train Here, but that takes training not just the pup but family and friends too. Last thing I want is a dog with a poor recall. I had that with my Wheaten. So I’m really interested in hearing thoughts, especially from trainers and breeders. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
My husband and I have started a list of names for our male standard pup we expect to get in the spring. We both like the name Cosmo but I am concerned there could be confusion with the command Come. I know we could train Here, but that takes training not just the pup but family and friends too. Last thing I want is a dog with a poor recall. I had that with my Wheaten. So I’m really interested in hearing thoughts, especially from trainers and breeders. Thank you.
I think it is fine. When you say come you will say Cosmo, COME! so it is a different command than just cosmo. It should sound very different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "o" at the end of the word makes it different enough. He won't confuse Cosmo with come.

A poodle is nothing like a Wheaton terrier. Wheatons are smart, but much more independent.
Which is one reason why my next dog will not be a Wheaten. I think I had the best one ever and don’t want to risk any more “independence.” 😊
BTW- also from Michigan.

·
Premium Member
24,132 Posts
I know some Wheatens and for me there isn't enough money in the world. You will adore Cosmo when he arrives.

Reactions: Sarah S

·
Premium Member
24,132 Posts
Oh yes terriorists for sure. A friend is a Wheaten devotee. She has a youngish (2 year old or so) male who she swears is the perfect best one she has ever had, I passed him for a CGC (by a hair and on a fair amount of faith that she will improve him with age) but honestly I can't stand him for the most part. He is getting better, but it has been slow. Maybe now that he has been neutered he will mature a bit more quickly. I would love it if every recall did not require barking to wake the dead.

·
Registered
626 Posts
We have a lot of fun at our house at naming time. Mostly because my husband would rather name everything stuff like: Fred & well... he once had a dog named Icky (yeesh). I like unique names & that drives him nuts because he can't remember them or pronounce them. So it's always an ordeal to pick out a name. That you found one you both like (YAY) is wonderful. Like the others have said, "Cosmo, COME" shouldn't be confusing to the pup. I've trained with a few Cosmo's & have not seen any problems with the name & any commands. It's a good name, has two syllables, good sound. Easy to remember. Easy to say.

PS... I love the little terrorists. I grew up with Dobermans & Cairn Terriers :) They were awesome but we had some moments & would go to war in the blink of an eye. My dad holding me by the back of the pants while I had my Mother's prize male by the hind legs dragging him out of a hole in the dam of our lake as he was after a muskrat... O'Shea was as fine a dog as they come & he behaved like a champion should. His counterpart, my mother's other best male was McTavish & that dog got one end of a groundhog & O'Shea had the other end & both boys had a lady Cairn with each of them & the fur was flying. Thankfully the dogs were unharmed. The groundhog however looked like he'd been through a wood chipper. Mr. Groundhog did not ever come back to see the terrierist. The Cairns were terribly disappointed. I was a kid but Dad & I had a few gray-hair moments but I truly love terriers but they should all come with little leather jackets & the understanding that they are going to be naughty when they have their sights set on something.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I use 'here Norm!' The trainer said to use what we wanted as long as we're consistent.

btw, terriers are my first love, but I never had one with good recall if he got out. That's why we got a poodle. And today when Normie and I were in the front yard doing a few training exercises a couple walked by and he started to join them. One 'here Norm!' and he was back.

I knew that his 20' lead would stop him, but he didn't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have a lot of fun at our house at naming time. Mostly because my husband would rather name everything stuff like: Fred & well... he once had a dog named Icky (yeesh). I like unique names & that drives him nuts because he can't remember them or pronounce them. So it's always an ordeal to pick out a name. That you found one you both like (YAY) is wonderful. Like the others have said, "Cosmo, COME" shouldn't be confusing to the pup. I've trained with a few Cosmo's & have not seen any problems with the name & any commands. It's a good name, has two syllables, good sound. Easy to remember. Easy to say.

PS... I love the little terrorists. I grew up with Dobermans & Cairn Terriers :) They were awesome but we had some moments & would go to war in the blink of an eye. My dad holding me by the back of the pants while I had my Mother's prize male by the hind legs dragging him out of a hole in the dam of our lake as he was after a muskrat... O'Shea was as fine a dog as they come & he behaved like a champion should. His counterpart, my mother's other best male was McTavish & that dog got one end of a groundhog & O'Shea had the other end & both boys had a lady Cairn with each of them & the fur was flying. Thankfully the dogs were unharmed. The groundhog however looked like he'd been through a wood chipper. Mr. Groundhog did not ever come back to see the terrierist. The Cairns were terribly disappointed. I was a kid but Dad & I had a few gray-hair moments but I truly love terriers but they should all come with little leather jackets & the understanding that they are going to be naughty when they have their sights set on something.
So i understand why you all would think I’ve been through dog hell with a wheaten and the new poodle should be comparatively a breeze, and I hope you are right, but I did have an unusually obedient and attached terrier. He got his CGC and was a TDI therapy dog for many years (assisted living and elementary schools, hospitals did not work for him). Which is exactly why I am moving on. Still anxious about the puppyness to come. And now the name is slightly questionable after youngest adult son pointed to an unpleasant association. While it is his, I’ll take into consideration.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
You have plenty of time. :) I’ve never understood how people can name their puppies before they meet them. I’ve tried. I have a long list of “dream dog names” and would love if one would stick. But they never do. My last three dogs were named right away....and then re-named days later when I started getting to know them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sarah S,

I had some amazing terriers throughout my childhood. When you get one that locks on to you & will step outside of terrier-ness to work with you is amazing.

You have plenty of time for your Poodle name list to grow & sometimes when the pup arrives s/he does not match a single name on the list but another name will appear. That happens to us a lot. Long ago I had searched for many years for a working Doberman with all the old traits. I'd looked so long. When I found a breeder I gave the go-ahead to & he approved of the plan I had, he asked if I had a name. I gave him the name without hesitation & had never given it any thought. The men I trained later nicknamed him Boss, & that's what he was til the day he left us. But that was a 1 time deal. I had 20-some names picked for my Giant Schanuzer... she was named none of those. I had no idea what to name my Standard Poodle. I wanted a solid color female. But the pup that was right for the job I was getting the pup for was a black & white parti male... so I had no boy names. Everyone here is named after movie, book, or tv characters. I know a lady that names all her dogs after some kind of alcohol. Another names hers after musical things.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,808 Posts
I love Wheatens! Mia's first friend was a Wheaten, and Copper has for ever endeared the breed to me (although Wheaten Terrorist rings true 🤣)

There are a lot of fun ways to teach recall, most involving a long line, two people, and plenty of treats. You and your new dog are going to do great! Don't let anxiety over prior experiences spill over into future training sessions, as your dog will pick up on it and it can create problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts