Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently aquired a rescue poodle who has been neglected so his coat is needing some TLC, I am new to the breed but have been reading up on line, am I right in thinking he should not be bathed till his coat has no mats in it? To look at it is not matted but I cant get a comb through it, I have a metal slicker and that has fluffed up some of his coat but his legs are still quite tight curls, would I be better to shave him short and start from new or will it be possible to save his coat? His coat is clipped short at the moment any way. I will be investing in some clippers soon but until then will human clippers be able to cope with his coat or should I wait? Sorry for all the questions but would like to get him sorted out.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
two things come to mind right off

1) the comb you are using is to fine, meaning the teeth are to close together, to get through your poodles thick coat. I cannot get the fine portion of my metal comb through my standard's coat, I have to use the medium.
Depending on what kind of comb you have too. If you're trying to use a plastic comb like what my husband uses for his hair thats not likely to do it through do hair. You need metal, with or without handle that is a personal thing. I perfer no handle myself.

2) Using the slicker brush you are not getting down to the skin of your poodle, this can happen even with short hair, and so you're just brushing through the top layer of coat leaving the hair next to the skin matted. I see this a lot and it's no wonder why, it's super easy to do.
Split the hair with your hands down to the skin and see if you can see matts. Sometimes curls hide matts or act like matts when using a comb. I can't comb through either of my girls when they are curly without first taking a pin brush or a slicker through them to pull the curls out, then I can comb.

Feel the coat too, does it feel "clumpy" ? Can you run your fingers though it?

As for the clipper it depends on what kind you have. I have a set of human clippers that I use frequently on my spoo girls. I have used them to clip their coats all over with no trouble. Clippers bought from walmart I doubt I would even attempt to use.

Do you know much if anything about your poodle's history? I ask because grooming is not as simple as it seems, even a shave down. It's not rocket science maybe but it can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and are not using the correct tools. Clippers for instance that have the types of blades that adjust lengths via a little lever on the side of the clipper are dangerous. Being that your baby is new to you and you are new to grooming him I might suggest taking him at least once and having a pro do it. That way there are no surprises and the risk of injury is greatly reduced. Especialy if his coat is matted, the risk goes up. Once he is all sorted out you can continue to groom at home and keep up with his coat in whatever style you wish. You'lll also gain vital information on how he behaves for grooming. If he has a problem with something you won't be surprised. If he has any sort of trouble at all the pro can deal with it and not hurt him, thats part of what we're trained to do. If he has trouble with something to first time you groom him and you are not prepared for it serious injury could result.
The pro can also take a look at your brushes and combs and make sure you have what you need which is a much faster and more accurate way to get info than posting on a forum really :)

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and congrats on your new friend!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Poor dog! I would go to a pro if your not sure even on the brushing to be honest. They can help you on this. And call around for pricing. I dont know your area but where I live the price can be intimidating because it is horribly competitive. Also there is a thread or two on here about good grooming questions to ask. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My rescue boy was a matted, pee stained disaster. I just had him shaved down and started over, and I'm glad I did. :D

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
if it were me

I would go ahead and take to a professional and let them see what might be saved and what will not be saved ,some times they can come up with some sort of groomed that is not shaved.
Groomers have MANY new lotions and potions and impmlements to take matts and snarles out of the hair

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi thanks for yor replies I was tempted to take him to the groomers, I know one from dog training but at the moment he has a bronchial infection I am fairly sure it is not kennel cough as the dog he was rescued with is not coughing but the vet has said to wait to be on the safe side, which is another reason I have not even attempted to bath him. I have trimed his feet and face with scissors as they were disgusting, he is very laid back and enjoys the brushing. I think you are all right and I might continue to comb him till his cough is better then treat him to a hair do! I had planned on getting my daughter a puppy next year so had begun researching the breed but this little boy turned up as my mother does rescue its only the second Poodle she has had in 10 years so I thought it was fate.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Awww sorry to hear he has medical issues, poor baby. Hope he recovers soon!! It does kind of sound like fate, he was sent to you maybe :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts