Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Today my 50 pound baby is turning 6 months old!

So far he has only had puppy trims (feet, eye clearing, privates, etc) and does great. He has never had his face shaved because I love the teddy look.... but I really want to try it!!!

I REALLY am in LOVE with the classic poodle cuts but I am a bit gun shy on doing it. I think my hesitation is not knowing how long it takes for the hair to grow back???

He is so beautiful and I love him no matter what he looks like... but I want to start having some fun with his hair (and get rid of some length to avoid more mats)!!! Do you all have any suggestions on how he should be cut for his and my first time LOL! I know there are many types of hair cuts but am not versed enough and thought y'all would have great advice for me!!

**I have found a few great groomers here in North Alabama but am open to suggestion if anyone lives around here!!**

Thank you :)

Registered
Here are a few of my favorite haircuts for poodles.
If you want to go with the regal handsome look you might want to try a German Clip, which if I remember correctly has a shaved face, and feet, and can go pretty short.
I currently have Evie in a Miami Clip which, is the clip with a short body and bracelets-pom poms on her ankles, a topknot, tail pom, and a shaved face and feet.

Then if you want to go traditional you could try a shorter version of the Show Puppy Clip, which is the clip you will see poodle puppies in the ring. It has shaved feet, and face, a mane, and a tail pompom.

If you want to go ultra-traditional you could try a Modified Historically Correct Continental, which is the regular continental without the hip rosettes, and much shorter. I think that Mystacrim, Asher's mom has Asher in the MHCC.

If you like to long face, you could try a teddy bear clip.

I know that Evie's hair takes very little time to grow back, except on her tail which takes a long time.

Hope this helps.

Here are the links for some threads and photos of poodles in the different clips. http://www.groomers.net/discus/messages/126/249271.html?1256732436 HCC.
https://www.poodleforum.com/9-poodle-grooming/234369-german-modified-cut-winging.html
https://www.poodleforum.com/27-showing/8081-puppy-clip-hips.html
If you find the thread that says Evie's New Haircut you will see photos of Evie's Miami.

Registered
I think Norman would look sooooo handsome in that modified German clip that was posted.

Of course if that is too much of an extreme change you could always do a puppy/pet clip. Shorter all over and clean face and feet. I would love to see how handsome his face is underneath that beaaauutiful coloring!

Please let us know what you choose & post pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Okay yall thank you!!! So sorry I didn't respond faster, I dont know how to work the forum on my phone and respond.

But I just dropped him off this morning to the groomer and I requested a German cut (but no ear shaving). Thank you all so much for the suggestion. This is one that I was considering so yall just pushed me over the fence! Thank you!!

I am so nervous and excited to see him... nervous because will I like the shaved face??? I love his black on his body but unfortunately its only the tips of the hairs so I will be going to pick up a very blonde/cream poodle boy later today!!! I will post pictures when I get some :)

Registered
I鈥檓 sure he will look super handsome!

Make sure to share pics with us! I鈥檓 trying to decide on a cut now for my pup. Same kind of issue.. I love his deeper coloring on his ears so maybe I鈥檒l do a long eater modified German.

I also thought about an unorthodox cut like a Mohawk but am trying to see if it suits him. Or maybe I could just give him a hipster man bun. who knows!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Love the Mohawk idea, too cute!! Why not have some fun??

I am just trying to take some baby steps getting there with the more adventurous cuts so I loved the German cut idea I was given...

As I am typing this I just got the text that Norman is ready to pick up!! Apparently he had more matting in his sides (hes a big wrestler at home, WWE match daily!) and so they cut him a bit shorter than planned. SO anxious and excited!!

I will for sure post photos!! I need to figure out how to post them without making them sideways... maybe it wont go sideways if I use my phone to post?

Premium Member
The German clip is one of my favorites for a male. All of the official clips can be modified. It is SO much easier to clean a shaved face and brush a shorter body trim. Can鈥檛 wait for pictures! A new puppy, too?! Exciting!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts