Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Since Jaanu is arriving this week, I wanted to reach out to fellow poodle-forum members on this. Any advice on picking up and bringing home a puppy from the airport? Especially with COVID and all, just want to make sure I am able to do so as safely as possible and also make sure that it is not a stressful experience for Jaanu. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I'm sure you will need to take him outside to an area where he can relieve himself (be sure he is secure so he cannot bolt and get away). Then I'd either have him on my lap or return him to the crate for the trip home. I'd bring paper towels, hand sanitizer (for myself), a bottle of water and a small bowl in case he needs a drink, though he will probably be too our of sorts for anything. Once home I'd just love him! and take the crate to be sanitized before bring it in. He will be stressed more than likely but once your home in a safe environment it will all get better. Good luck and looking forward to pictures.

·
Premium Member
23,187 Posts
I helped a family member pick up an airport puppy a few years ago. We were able to let him potty there at the airport pick up area on leash. I think he really needed to relieve himself. We offered him water but he didn't drink *but it was December not July). I was able to watch the pup in the car (in crate) while the other person drove. It was about 45 minutes so we didn't stop after we got out of the airport. He had to introduce him to Lily and Peeves since he stayed with us until Christmas morning (yes a Christmas pup, not my idea of a great time of year for a baby dog). I agree with Mufar on paper towels, also some garbage bags and maybe even Nature's Miracle.

You should expect your pup to be tired when you get home. I would give a potty opportunity. Let the members of your household say a quick hello and then let the baby have a nice nap in the crate. For that keep the crate near people so they don't feel totally alone. Then move the crate to its permanent location for the first night.

If you speak with the breeder see if there is a way for them to rub a toy or a towel on mom and other pups that may still be there. Familiar scent can help the transition to your home. If the breeder doesn't have something that they can just give then offer to pay for them to pick something up and do that for you.

Reactions: RM<3Jaanu and Vita

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
...If you speak with the breeder see if there is a way for them to rub a toy or a towel on mom and other pups that may still be there. Familiar scent can help the transition to your home...
Yes! If they have an old clean wash cloth or towel and let the mother nap/sleep on it, it'll have her scent which will be comforting in a time of transition for the pup. Ask breeder to put it in a zip lock or plastic bag so puppy won't soil it during the flight.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
I don't know how old the puppy is, how long the flight is, or how far you are from the airport. I think it's quite possible you might need to do an emergency clean-up if the puppy leaks while in transit. Several cotton towels, a roll of paper towels, a jug of water for the puppy and spray cleaner for the crate, and several plastic bags will help if you find yourself dealing with a mess.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hello! Since Jaanu is arriving this week, I wanted to reach out to fellow poodle-forum members on this. Any advice on picking up and bringing home a puppy from the airport? Especially with COVID and all, just want to make sure I am able to do so as safely as possible and also make sure that it is not a stressful experience for Jaanu. Thanks so much!
Thank you everyone for the advice so far. Jaanu will be 9 weeks old and our home is 30 min away from the airport. The flight is about 2 hours.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Ok, so it sounds like crate time will be at least 4 hours. Some puppies can go that long; others can't.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so it sounds like crate time will be at least 4 hours. Some puppies can go that long; others can't.
Yes, he will be with a pet nanny, so hopefully it will be less stressful and he will be given a few chances here and there to relieve himself. But definitely will be prepared to clean up any accidents.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to say thanks for the wonderful advice everyone! Gosh the anticipation level is so high right now!!! One more day :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you speak with the breeder see if there is a way for them to rub a toy or a towel on mom and other pups that may still be there. Familiar scent can help the transition to your home. If the breeder doesn't have something that they can just give then offer to pay for them to pick something up and do that for you.
Thanks so much! Yes Jaanu will be arriving with a bag of toys that have been played with by him and his siblings for two days. I'm sure they will bring him some more comfort in his new environment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts