Poodle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Sorry for such a sad post. A friend's apricot standard was diagnosed with leukemia yesterday. Her spoo is also pregnant so many of the symptoms (lethargy, etc) they figured were due to the pregnancy. They never imagined a diagnosis of advanced leukemia. The sweet girl probably has only a few days. And they will euthanize her soon, but my friend and her husband aren't quite ready to say goodbye today. It's happening so quickly. And the fact there are unborn puppies makes it extra heartbreaking. I can't blame them for not being ready to let her go.

Question: Does anyone have suggestions about palliative care? Specifically, mucus discharge. Overnight her girl started drooling and has a mucus running out of her mouth which makes it hard to swallow. Any thoughts on what could provide some temporary relief while the humans get the arrangements made? I wondered about prednisone. But I can't think of anything else. I assume this means the cancer has spread to her lungs.

Ironically it's my 3 yr old cream girl's birthday today. I can't hug her tightly enough this morning.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all. The sweet girl improved temporarily this morning and is resting easier. Although it won't last long, it affords my friend time to contact the vet who will eventually come out to the house. Thank you all for your thoughts. I am sorry for the heartbreaking post, although I am warmed by the love and affection shared in these recollections. You all have good hearts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.