Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wahl Arco 5-in-1 has started making strange sounds while clipping. It’s almost stopping, making a weird sound, sort of like a lawnmower that can’t cut through deep grass. It’s still working but it’s unpredictable and I don’t want to risk hurting the dogs while doing their face.

There are no shops around, there is the pandemic and I figure the shipping fees and repair costs through the internet would be between 100$-125$ so I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I was hoping to find another 5-in1 model as I really liked my Arco. I know the Wahl Bravura 5-in-1 is an even better clipper and comes with a lithium battery.

What clipper do you like and recommend ?

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Dechi, I have the full size Wahl bravura and the Wahl miniArco. I had the bravura when I decided it was worth buying a mini trimmer for the feet. Except for the smaller blade and smaller, lighter body on the mini, I don’t see much difference. I could have bought a bravMini but chose the cheaper Arco. I did study the specs carefully and I only groom one dog. I felt the advantages of the competition didn’t make a difference for me. For example if I was a professional groomer, the speed to recharge the battery would be of prime importance it not to a home groomer doing one or two dogs.

Read the differences between the difference trimmers and chose based on the specs that are important to you. Check the ratings too.

Reactions: kontiki and Dechi

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Here's a screenshot of the Wahl 5 in 1 models so you can see get a quick comparison. Ignore the Arco Vet model, it's not a 5 in 1.

I chose the Motion for 2 reasons over the others even tho it was more pricey. I felt the detachable handle would help me keep it in my grasp better and the battery recharge life cycle was listed as double the best of the others.

I haven't read anything that makes me think there's a huge performance difference from one to another. I think you're likely to find the Arco or maybe the Figura at the best prices, if any are still to be found :(.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Read the differences between the difference trimmers and chose based on the specs that are important to you. Check the ratings too.
Thanks for your input. I’ve been looking online but often can’t find what I’m looking for. I’m leaning towards the Wahl Bravura so far.

Here's a screenshot of the Wahl 5 in 1 models so you can see get a quick comparison. Ignore the Arco Vet model, it's not a 5 in 1.
That is quite helpful, thank you ! I don’t see the Wahl Beretto, but it looks like the Figura is the same with a different name ? I like the description of models because I need something light because I have very little muscular endurance and it shows weight. Based on weight and price, the Bravura looks like the best choice so far.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I think you'll be very happy with it. The weight difference isn't much, it'll charge faster, you can use it plugged in or unplugged, the battery doesn't have "memory" like the ni-cad type in the Arco (that's good), the blade is the same and the Bravura motor has Constant Speed Control to keep the clipper at the same power output, whatever it's cutting thru.
And you actually found one available!

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you'll be very happy with it. The weight difference isn't much, it'll charge faster, you can use it plugged in or unplugged, the battery doesn't have "memory" like the ni-cad type in the Arco (that's good), the blade is the same and the Bravura motor has Constant Speed Control to keep the clipper at the same power output, whatever it's cutting thru.
And you actually found one available!
I was considering cancelling my order but your post is helping me to keep it. I made more research and found out the problem is most probably my blade, which I never changed or sharpened in 5 years... I should have thought about it but I guess unconsciously I wanted the Bravura...

I need 2 new batteries, metal combs and a new blade, which is getting close to buying a one.

I’ll get a new blade for it and I’ll have two working clippers. Or I can use the Bravura blade, which is the same.

I’m still hesitant as I am writing this. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If I were voting here, I'd vote keep the order and try it. If it comes to it, you'd be able to return or sell it on to another PF member or...
I know you don't want to spend more than you need to but when you come this close to the new purchase price to repair or refresh an older model, I usually find it's almost always cheaper to go for new and buy sooner than later. Plus you'll have a backup if you keep it :).

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know you don't want to spend more than you need to but when you come this close to the new purchase price to repair or refresh an older model, I usually find it's almost always cheaper to go for new and buy sooner than later. Plus you'll have a backup if you keep it :).
You’re so helpful, I feel better now ! :)

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Dechi, do consi there are parts inside the clippers that need replaci too, n just the blades. I haven had to do it yet myself but I believe some parts can be replaced at home.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have the Wahl mini arco, the Figura, and the Bravura. There is a very long story that explains how I wound up with two larger clippers: short version, we were building a house, and the clippers were buried in storage, so I bought the Bravura.

I don’t find a big difference between the Bravura and Figura, the biggest difference was when I upgraded to metal combs. Don’t know how I lived without them!

The mini arco is great for feet and face. I bought in when I brought home 3 lb Gracie puppy, because I couldn’t imagine using the big clippers on her.
I had an Andis clipper for a few years before this, but it stopped working. I love the Wahl products, they’re very ergonomic, the cordless is so convenient, and the 5 in 1 blade makes everything easier.

Reactions: kontiki and Dechi

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dechi, do consi there are parts inside the clippers that need replaci too, n just the blades. I haven had to do it yet myself but I believe some parts can be replaced at home.
That’s true ! Maybe it’s not just the blade, it might be the motor itself.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The mini arco is great for feet and face. I bought in when I brought home 3 lb Gracie puppy, because I couldn’t imagine using the big clippers on her.
I’d like to have one of those one day. And I can’t wait to try the metal combs. Everyone says it males a big difference. I’ve been using plastic combs for five years...

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have 3 blades for my Bravura. I have had them sharpened and it makes an enormace difference. Of course, I have spoos, not a toy, but I only use the Bravura on FFT, not the body so I dont use combs with it.
Not to hijack your thread... but has anyone had the battery replaced in their Bravura? Mine is 5years old and not holding a change. I have had to use it pugged in the last 2 grooms. Wasn’t sure if they could be replaced?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I am late to the conversation but wanted to tell you I LOVE my Bravura clippers and the metal combs. Poppy has a very thick coat and I have been doing all of her grooming with the Bravuras for about a year now. They do a great job and the light weight is easy on my old hands and worn out wrists. Because Poppy is a standard I usually clip her body with the clippers on the cord and do her face and feet with the clipper cordless. I have a couple of extra blades just in case I need them. Hope you enjoy using them as much as I do.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because Poppy is a standard I usually clip her body with the clippers on the cord and do her face and feet with the clipper cordless. I have a couple of extra blades just in case I need them. Hope you enjoy using them as much as I do.
It’s impressive that it’s strong enough for a standard with a thick coat ! :)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Do any of the mini's do a bit longer cut? My spoos skin (he is white) is so sensitive that I have to use a 10 on his face and feet.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The Wahl Mini Bravura and Mini Figura both come with a #30 blade, so even closer than the #10, but the Mini Bravura comes with a snap on guard comb to give a 1/4" cut length.

The Mini Figura has two guide combs to give 3mm to 6mm cut length and 6mm to 12mm cut lengths

If you're considering your full size Bravura, the longest adjusted cut length on the blade is a #9, a bit longer than the #10.
Looking at the blade in this view #9 would be the longest - slide the tab to the left. #15 is the position in the picture and the shortest is #40 to the right

The full size Brav comes with a set of plastic guard combs or you can get individual stainless steel slide on guard combs to do the longer cut.

Wahl Professional Animal Stainless Steel Attachment Guide Combs for Wahl's 5-in-1 Detachable Blade Pet Clippers

• Size: #4, 1/4 Inch
  • #0, 5/8 Inch $12.26
  • #E, 1 Inch $6.95
  • #1, 1/2 Inch $6.95
  • #2, 3/8 Inch $6.95
  • #A, 3/4 Inch $11.04
  • #4, 1/4 Inch $6.95
  • #5, 1/8 Inch $6.99
  • #C, 7/8 Inch $13.22
  • Wahl Professional Animal Stainless Steel Attachment Guide Combs for Wahl's 5-in-1 Detachable Blade Pet Clippers

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update : I’ve groomed Merlin this morning with my new Bravura. Here is what I noticed :

- it vibrates and the Arco has no vibrations at all

- I found the finish wasn’t as close as with my Arco when doing the face and feet (position 40). I thought they had the same blade, so how is this possible ?

- It definitely cuts better, but I am wondering if this might just be due to my new metal combs

- the battery definitely lasts longer than the Arco’s

- it makes less noise than the Arco. It is very quiet.

To sort this out, I will try the Arco with the metal combs, to see how it is. Hopefully I can make it work with a new blade...

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Blades vary from one to another, seems to me, even in the same model.

Also just checking you refresh the gear lube in addition to oiling the blade. I started thinking about your original post. My clipper is also the Bravura, and I use Wahl blade oil, but Oster gear lube since that was what I found most easily. Gear lube doesn't have to be used as frequently as blade oil, but it seems important from the little I know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts