Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes! I am nervous just typing that out! Am I :bird:? LOL! So we are planning a road trip in June to go down to visit my parents in FL. We are all driving down together, my husband will stay a week and fly back, the kids, dogs and I will stay another 2-3 weeks, my husband will fly back and stay another couple days, and then we will all drive home together again. We usually fly down to visit my parents, and kennel Cricket, but this time we are staying longer and need to take the dogs. Any advice? Any pet travel/safety product recommendations? I am very nervous about this!!! :doh: We will pack everything in a cargo box on top of the car. We have a Toyota Sienna Minivan, so there is room on the back row for at least one of the dogs to sit/lay down, and the other can lay on the floor in the center aisle I guess. We plan to bring the dog crates, bowls, leashes, etc. What else should I bring? What hotels are pet friendly? We will probably spend the night in SC. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Honestly it sounds as if you have all you need, make sure to store some papertowels somewhere just in case. Google for your pet friendly places there are so many- because some charge really weird prices per pound how many dogs etc. Jameson Inn and Suites take pets.

·
Registered
300 Posts
We love AmericInn. I think they are mostly pet friendly and pretty nice accomadations for the price.

I would suggest crating the dogs if you have room. A lot of people may disagree with this, but here's my reasoning... It eliminates the Oh, No, when one of the kids opens the car door at a rest stop or something and the dog jumps out too quickly to catch. It eliminates the possibility of the dog climbing over and on the kids and adults during the drive (It's frustrating enough to listen to the kids complaine about not having enought room, let a lone throwing a dog in the mix. The dog can relax in the crate without being pestered by people in the car.

The dogs will probably need to stop about as much as the kids, so that should work out fine, just make sure to give them some exercise too. If you can find rest areas that have playgrounds that is great for the kids and the dogs can get out, on leash and give them some time to stretch their legs. You can probably get on line somewhere and check out the rest stops and such before you start your trip.

I'll send any more ideas as I think of them (we drive almost everywhere). Good luck!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
We love AmericInn. I think they are mostly pet friendly and pretty nice accomadations for the price.

I would suggest crating the dogs if you have room. A lot of people may disagree with this, but here's my reasoning... It eliminates the Oh, No, when one of the kids opens the car door at a rest stop or something and the dog jumps out too quickly to catch. It eliminates the possibility of the dog climbing over and on the kids and adults during the drive (It's frustrating enough to listen to the kids complaine about not having enought room, let a lone throwing a dog in the mix. The dog can relax in the crate without being pestered by people in the car.

The dogs will probably need to stop about as much as the kids, so that should work out fine, just make sure to give them some exercise too. If you can find rest areas that have playgrounds that is great for the kids and the dogs can get out, on leash and give them some time to stretch their legs. You can probably get on line somewhere and check out the rest stops and such before you start your trip.

I'll send any more ideas as I think of them (we drive almost everywhere). Good luck!
I won't disagree with this, I just didn't have the room in my car in the last travels....but you bring up a GREAT point, I kept the leashes on mine when we traveled JUST IN CASE. And after reading MCM's post a while ago - dogs bolting can happen....

·
Registered
300 Posts
sometimes (especially with our Pyr) I will tie a knot in the leash and close it in the car door (back hatch works great) Then the dog can have a little room to move about but is still teathered and cannot climb on people too much. This is also great because you can get out of the car with out the dog bolting and go to the door with the leash haniging out of it and get a hold of the leash before opeining the door for the dog. You'll already have a hold of the leash so the dog can't bolt! Works like a charm!

Oh, and a DVD player for the kids is priceless! lol -
along with some special snacks and small games/toys that maybe they aren't allowed too often! (Anything to make a cross country drive more pleasant!)

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you go to hotels.com you can check pet friendly as one of your requirements for a room. We've had good luck with Ramadas and La Quintas. We don't crate our dogs in the car, but they do wear a seatbelt/harness combo. Ours has enough give that Midge can sit OR lay down in the backseat. She will sometimes get carsick inside the crate, but seems to be ok with the seatbelt/harness. We have done LOTS of trips with the kids and dog from NYC to Virginia when we lived on the east coast, to see my brother. We also drove back and forth from Iowa several times too. I try to stop based on the age of my youngest son. He's two, so he needs the most breaks.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
La Quinta has no pet restictions what so ever (they don't care about size, number or breed) but they vary in how nice they are. I honestly don't care as long as the staff is friendly and the place is clean. I prefer hotels/motels where the room door goes directly outside. I think they have better insulation (in case of barking) and you don't have to walk your dog through the lobby every time you take them out. Oh and leaving the tv on can help w/ barking too.

The only other thing I would suggest is to make sure they have some kind of ID w/ a reachable number, just in case. (Cell phone, you parents home phone, etc.)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I think I'd take dogs and kids on a few short trips around with the dogs in the same places as they will be in to travel. That way everyone gets used to thing. I always take a stash of inexpensive new things and treats when we travel just to keep everyone amused. I pull them out when too much whining starts.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Pick up a package of Tushie Wipes next time you're at PetCo (or similar). They are good for a messy bum, of course, but they are also good for wiping off dirt, food, etc. Those are for the dogs, btw. :D

For the kids, I suggest bringing along saltine crackers and ginger ale in a cooler. They work wonders for a carsick kid (once they're already feeling queasy). I speak from my own experience as a child who went on numerous cross-country drives with my parents and grandparents.

Good luck and have fun! I'm dying to go on a road trip with Teddy.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I'm crossing my fingers that a Arreau poodle reunion will happen this summer or next in Oklahoma City - we won't have any kids along, but we'd make the trip with Lucy for sure. I'm looking forward to it and hope we can pull it together! The driving time will be approximately 15.5 hours one way...

Make sure you take notes and report back here after your trip to help the rest of us out!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Poo poo bags for picking up after fur babies will help keep motels/hotels pet friendly. Dog licenses and tags with phone no. on them and shot records.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When we travel we stay at Hampton Inn......not all of them accepts dogs but most do...and they do not charge....I also do not crate my dogs, I use the seatbelt/harness, it is also a safety feature...especially if there is an accident.....a dog that is not secured can be thrown out of the vehicle....I drive everywhere and drive once a year to Florida with my grandkids...a DVD player is a must....it will keep them quiet for hours (a least 2 for the length of the movie)...some hand held games and a variety of other items...the more you have the better....we do stop often.....pack some lunch meat, snacks and drinks and have a picnic at one of the rest stops...some are nicer than others and the kids will love it....everyone needs a break and to stretch their legs.....give yourself extra traveling time.......Have a great trip and BE SALE!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts