Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a really long time since I groomed a puppy. Alfie is 13 weeks old. I wanted to clip him down because of the heat, but his coat is so fluffy and soft that the clippers (I'm using a 30 blade and a 1/2 inch comb) just don't engage very well. He looks kind of moth-eaten with little tufts here and there, far more than I used to leave on grown dogs. I don't want to have to scissor him because I have arthritic hands and he's still pretty wiggly.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Have you tried going over him a couple of times with the attachment?
I found that when Evie had her puppy coat that seemed to help get it more even.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went over him some more today with my husband supplying a steady stream of treats so that I could scissor the reluctant bits. It's still kind of a chop-job, but puppy coats only last for so long anyway. He's extremely orange with the sun-faded outer coat removed!

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Is he a toy or what size?

What kind of clippers are you using? Name, model etc?

What kind of attachment comb is it? Metal or plastic?

How long is his hair?

Do you have a picture of him to post here?

Some of these things might make a difference. That is why I ask. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's a standard.

I use an Andis AGC Super 2 Speed clipper with Andis plastic combs and and Andis Ultraedge 30 blade which I have only rarely used.

My old poodles mostly went to the real groomer with home face/tail/paw touch ups in between groomings. Occasionally I clipped them with a 5F blade for the summer, but mostly they went to the groomer. However, I clipped the last poodle myself for the last year of her life because she was quite frail and would refuse to stand up for the groomers (but not for me, the old fraud! She was a mama's girl.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
He looks great! This is the same method I use. Puppy fur is so light that it doesn't always catch well in the clipper. I think it gets a little better every time I groom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts