Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents' dog recently passed away, just short of 14 years old. My mother would like to find an adult spoo or possibly a very large mini (their yard is large and there are a lot of coyotes). We had located a breeder who had a retired show girl that he wanted to rehome, but he is having trouble parting with her since she has also been his house pet. My parents are elderly, but healthy. If the dog were to outlive them or they were unable to keep it, they have two daughters and one much younger sister all of whom have dogs and would be more than happy to provide a home. They have a large fenced yard and are financially able to provide regular grooming and veterinary care. The dog would get regular walks, play with the neighbor's dogs, and would be generally spoiled. They even live across the street from a private, members-only dog park. Any ideas for locating an adult dog of either sex and any color?

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
When I was puppy hunting last summer, one of the breeders I contacted asked if we'd be interested in one of their older spoos that needed to be re-homed. They were helping the owners out because he wasn't playing gently enough with their children.

I'd probably just reach out to every good breeder within your desired radius. Let them know what you're looking for. Maybe the stars will align.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Yes to previous responses. I'd also add that once things start to recover from Covid there will be a lot of young dogs needing rehoming. People will be going back to work right as their new puppies hit adolescence. And many won't be able to cope with it. So if you can't find anything currently, waiting several months is likely to help.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
Yes to previous responses. I'd also add that once things start to recover from Covid there will be a lot of young dogs needing rehoming. People will be going back to work right as their new puppies hit adolescence. And many won't be able to cope with it. So if you can't find anything currently, waiting several months is likely to help.
That is so depressing and so true. :(

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Oh gosh, yes, this will be awful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where are you located? I got one of my dogs from the NorCal Poodle Rescue and I know there are other organizations in other states. Also I got my other Standard through a Craigslist ad because he was an owner surrender.

Also I agree with what others have said, contacting breeders is a great idea!

·
Premium Member
23,582 Posts
If you are in the Northeast you might try Connecticut Poodle Rescue. Sadly I suspect the likelihood that people who go back to work in their offices deciding they can't do right by their adolescent dogs may happen, but I also am not so sure about how big that flood will be. I didn't get a puppy during this whole thing, but I also will not be returning to campus anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
My parents' dog recently passed away, just short of 14 years old. My mother would like to find an adult spoo or possibly a very large mini (their yard is large and there are a lot of coyotes). We had located a breeder who had a retired show girl that he wanted to rehome, but he is having trouble parting with her since she has also been his house pet. My parents are elderly, but healthy. If the dog were to outlive them or they were unable to keep it, they have two daughters and one much younger sister all of whom have dogs and would be more than happy to provide a home. They have a large fenced yard and are financially able to provide regular grooming and veterinary care. The dog would get regular walks, play with the neighbor's dogs, and would be generally spoiled. They even live across the street from a private, members-only dog park. Any ideas for locating an adult dog of either sex and any color?
I can tell you go to a poodle rescue, several..lol Our local rescue gets many dogs to be rehired. Recently two standards that had to go together, a 6 month old, a 2 years old. Some come from older owners that can no longer care for them, others come from homes where they don't understand puppy behavior and others simply are just thrown away because people are moving no longer have time change in job etc. My neighbor got a beautiful 2 year old well trained boy. I almost got a 9 month old girl however she was a reactive pup with a prey drive for cats and small dogs, I have both so I was not a suitable home (although I could have worked through those issues) it was felt, in the dogs best interest to find her a home where she would be with an adult standard or alone. I would definitely get another from them at some point. You could also go to your local poodle club and they will be aware of responsible rescues for their breed in your area.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A dog is for life, not just...covid🐶🐕🦮🦧🎅

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Our poodle club handles rescues, but we rarely have any dogs who have been rescued. That's a good thing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts