Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I used to chuckle reading the many threads about poodle poop problems, 'cause Beau has been regular as clockwork in the six months we've lived with him.

I'm not laughing any more.

A week ago, he had a few loose ones, which has almost never happened. Nothing in his diet had changed for months. The next day, on our walk, he tried to go, strained and strained, and nothing came out. Happened again later that day. Now I started to worry. He eventually passed some very loose stool, which I figured I'd better save to take to the vet. He began skipping meals. At this point I'm getting scared.

Beau is a veritable wizard about grabbing papers out of trashcans, pencils off desktops, or any small plastic object from who knows where, so we're always taking things away from him. I'm thinking, "Oh lord, he's probably plugged up with the cap off a sport bottle or something." (Why, oh why can't the kids throw those things in the covered trash can!?)

To make a long story short, his stool sample came back negative, and the vet assured us that, unless he began vomiting, just to keep an eye on him and switch his diet to something bland. Research online pointed me toward boiled chicken and plain brown rice, so I cooked up a batch.

Much to my surprise, he loves this "bland" meal, eating with more gusto than he's ever shown with his usual fancy and expensive Nature's Variety Raw frozen patties. (He's been on a raw diet forever.) Two days of eating that, and everything seems to be back to normal. Phew!

Now I'm wondering if I can just keep feeding him boiled chicken breast and brown rice, enhanced with a good supplement. It's easy to make, inexpensive, and he loves it. Heck, I can always eat it if he won't!

What do you folks think?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i would NOT keep that diet up for too long. If he already eats really good and well balanced patties that contain everything needed, just do the chicken and rice thing for variety once a week.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If you want to add variety or switch him from just raw medallions to home cooked, I highly recommend the book by Dr. Pitcairn, New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. Not only is it a great source for recipes, it has all the information you ever wanted to total, natural dog health. Here's the link:
Amazon.com: Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats: Richard H.…

I also wouldn't worry about feeding the "complete and balanced" diet. It's all about balance over time. The dog food industry makes it sound like you need a PhD in order to feed your dog. I've managed to raise my kids on my own home cooking without any trouble. ;) I also don't believe that any brand of dog food (even the best ones) are nutritionally balanced for all dogs, there is just no such thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts