Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to teach our new to us three-year-old spoo to potty in one area of the yard. He prefers to go on walks, which is fine when it’s me or my husband primarily looking after him but my teenagers are lazy and I want him to be able to use the yard if needed. It just seems practical.

My husband does not want the grass to get yellowed all over so we have sectioned off a piece with fence and planted a few pee-height bushes.

So far my efforts have been for nothing. With only one pee in the section, which I believe was a coincidence and lots and lots of waiting.

My current process is to bring him here each time he signals that he needs to go out. My theory being that once he goes, we celebrate, have a treat then go for a walk, which for him is the ultimate reward.

The problem is, he has more time than I do. He has out-waited me every time I decide that today’s the day I wait him out.

It’s currently 6:30 am, I have been waiting here for an hour. He was up at 5, had food and water this morning, we played for a bit and he was last out to potty at 10 pm last night. He should have to go! Shouldn’t he?!

I’m getting close to giving up again, I have to be logged on for work in 45 minutes and still have to walk him so he doesn’t bug me all day, make coffee and eat myself. He’s napping with his head under a bush and the only thing I’m currently accomplishing is feeding the mosquitos!

At this point I’m just training him to hold it longer .... sigh. He’s definitely training me.

Should I give it up until I truly have the time to wait for him to go? Make this a weekend only project when I could wait 3 hours if I had to.

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
I've had Pogo, who is not a morning dog, hold it from 9 PM to 10 AM the following morning on a few occasions.

Pogo is definitely more likely to pee where another male creature has already marked.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Start by teaching him a pee command on walks. Every time he starts lifting his leg, say « go pee » or whatever you like. Then give lots of praise. And maybe a treat if he is food oriented. After you’ve done that 100 times, he’ll start knowing what it is. Next you can start using the pee command in the designated area in your backyard.

Teaching a pee command is essential and much easier when they’re puppies but it can be done at any age. If he’s been relieving himself on walks for 3 years, you will have to wait a long, long time before he goes in your spot so that’s not a good strategy.

Also, what you could do (I know, it’s disgusting) is bring poop from another dog that you encounter on your walk and place it in the designated area. You could also collect peed on grass on your walk, from him or from another dog (even better from both), and place it in his spot. He will want to mark his territory and will probably pee on it. Make sure you say the command word and praise lots ! Then hopefully he’ll start to want to do it more.

Or, if you can bring another dog to pee in his spot, it will trigger his marking as well.

Good luck !

·
Registered
662 Posts
Zephyr can hold it seemingly indefinately. I let him out typically between 7 and 8 PM. When I ask later if he wants to go out he says no. In the morning I ask if he wants to go out, he says no. We usually go out for our walk at noon, but if we don't walk sometimes he won't go out until 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

He poops once a day, when we go for our walks. He rarely poops in the yard. If we don't walk I think he usually holds it until the next day.

He can and does poop and pee in the yard, it is his choice to hold it until the next walk.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My dog is a mini but he also prefers to pee on walks. He will sometimes pee in the yard if he really needs to. But if it is damp or wet out at all he won't even set foot in the yard. Only wants a walk. When he does pee in the yard he likes to mark specific spots. Usually will not pee in the same area for a while. He would never approve of this small area to pee. He often will go 18 hours without peeing. Some dogs just have an iron bladder.

One thing that would work even for mine is using the pee from other dogs to trigger him. He likes to mark over it. You can even buy canine pee spray to use.

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
My husband often takes the boys out for their evening tour of the yard. He never seems to have trouble getting them to choose a bush. Hmm 🤔

·
Registered
939 Posts
24 hours. I asked the same question when my spoo, with long hair at the time, refused to pee under cover of an umbrella on leash. I didn’t want to deal with the repercussions of long wet hair. He will still avoid going out in the rain, and I trust him to wait until it stops.

·
Super Moderator
5,733 Posts
Peggy's last toilet is around 10:30 these days, and sometimes she doesn't pee the first three times we let her out the next day! When she does finally go (sometimes as late as 12:30) she shows no urgency whatsoever.

Compared to my last girl who often needed to go out every 1-2 hours during her most senior years, this has taken some getting used to.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Mine also has a good bladder. I am up at no later then 6 and take him out and he will potty then he eats and plays in the house with his toys. About 2 hours later I will take him again and he usually will go again. But that could be it until 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Then one more time at 8pm then we go to bed. He does potty on command.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, we had an unexpected poop in his potty spot tonight mid play. We were playing fetch, then he suddenly dropped the toy and ran away to his spot and got down to business. No prompting, all on his own. He got told he was the worlds best boy.

How it happened suggests to me that he might get what he’s supposed to do there. It was a very purposeful trip to that corner.

So maybe when I’ve been trying he genuinely hasn’t had to go, or hasn’t had to go that badly. To be able to speak dog would be wonderful.

I’m going to double down on connecting the dots for him when he lifts his leg on a walk, and putting that on cue (goodness knows he does it often enough that there will be plenty of opportunity).

I think I will still give him the opportunity to go in his spot but I’m not going to wait him out anymore. It’s really just wasting my time, he’s too patient.

When we are in yard playing or hanging out if it looks like he might be thinking about going, I’ll bring him to the spot, so he has more opportunities to get it right and ideally no chances to get it wrong by going elsewhere in the yard.

Once it’s on a cue we will revisit going more reliably in the spot. Eventually the weather will turn yucky, which will work in my favor - he’s a fair weather dog!

·
Super Moderator
5,733 Posts
Good boy!!

One thing to consider is that dogs often like to choose new spots for their pees. Peggy will predictably poop in one corner of the yard, but she anxiously seeks out fresh grass for each pee. My last girl was the same. Asking her to repeatedly pee in the same small area would have been very stressful.

Maybe you could establish a few different pee spots for him?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Well that was very good. He will get it. All my dogs are trained to go in one area of the yard. It is enough space for them to pick where they want to go, (its like 1/3 off to the side part of the yard) . I must admit though the rest of the yard is ruined anyway since that is where they run and play ball, so now it is weed heaven.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well, we had an unexpected poop in his potty spot tonight mid play. We were playing fetch, then he suddenly dropped the toy and ran away to his spot and got down to business. No prompting, all on his own. He got told he was the worlds best boy.

How it happened suggests to me that he might get what he’s supposed to do there. It was a very purposeful trip to that corner.

So maybe when I’ve been trying he genuinely hasn’t had to go, or hasn’t had to go that badly. To be able to speak dog would be wonderful.

I’m going to double down on connecting the dots for him when he lifts his leg on a walk, and putting that on cue (goodness knows he does it often enough that there will be plenty of opportunity).

I think I will still give him the opportunity to go in his spot but I’m not going to wait him out anymore. It’s really just wasting my time, he’s too patient.

When we are in yard playing or hanging out if it looks like he might be thinking about going, I’ll bring him to the spot, so he has more opportunities to get it right and ideally no chances to get it wrong by going elsewhere in the yard.

Once it’s on a cue we will revisit going more reliably in the spot. Eventually the weather will turn yucky, which will work in my favor - he’s a fair weather dog!
Verbal may work. When I noticed my spoo lifting his leg on a tree in the yard I said “pee on the tree.” He will now do this on command at trees anywhere. Or even lamp posts! It’s been more effective than my old potty command for all dogs, ‘hurry up.’

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I may also need to calm down! I am wound a bit tightly at the best of times and like to plan/prepare for every eventuality.

Realistically he gets 4-5 walks per day so there’s no lack of opportunity for him to find a place to go while out walking.

It’s more contingency planning, there will be a day eventually when we can’t go for a walk and I want him to know that he does have a spot he can go in the yard.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, giving me lots to think about!

·
Registered
116 Posts
We’ve got a dog run (fenced off area with a gate) that my spoo goes to use the washroom. She knows it’s her spot and will go straight there when we go outside but she also won’t pee/poop on walks so 🤷🏻‍♀️. She can easily hold it from 12+ hours depending on when she last goes outside and often won’t go to the bathroom when we first let her out for a couple of times either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts