Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am having a problem and feel bad cause I feel like I only post when I have problems!

My adult daughter is moving back into our home this week. She is bringing her 8 month old pomeranian/american-eskie puppy. He is a good puppy, but way too much energy for my quiet/subdued Sammy and really for myself and my son. He also is twice Sammy's weight and much more physically active than my dog.

I'm worried about how this will disrupt our daily schedules. For example, Sammy is used to lying on my feet while we watch T.V., but Chief ( daughter's dog) will not let him do that. Sammy has his "safe place", where if he goes there, he knows he will be left alone - Chief does not honor that. And her dog barks at an ear splitting level! I have worked so hard to make sure Sammy doesn't bark for no reason ( amazon delivery, mail ). Sammy is now taking up the chorus and barking insanely when anyone comes to the door.

I have posted 2 adds today, looking for doggie daycare for my daughter's dog, for at least 4 hours daily. she most likely won't like it cause they want $15 dollars an hour.

All this ramblinging, but I'm just worried about my dog.

Our family went through alot, so I'm glad the family that is left is coming together. Can't sacrifice my dog!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Well I have always been a multiple dog household. My adult daughter lives at home and is getting a small breed dog. That will be fine with our terrier but not with my standard poodle. We will section off her room and hallway for the pup, and Renn periodically gets sectioned off in our dining/foyer area. Each will have their freedom time in the house. Perhaps when your daughter gives her dog his freedom time she could keep him on a leash tethered to herself, that way he won't bother Sammy and when she isn't there she will have him gated off in another section of the home. You will just have to play switch for awhile. Could be in time they become accustomed to one another and ignore each other.

·
Super Moderator
1,274 Posts
I would use physical barriers - baby gates in the doors, crates, and/or x-pen panels - to separate the dogs when the youngster is getting too rambunctious. A lot of times the young one is acting up because he's over-tired, so putting him in a crate or a quiet bedroom is really what he needs.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Last year - your daughter was me. I brought a wild and crazy 5 month old spoo puppy into mom's house with a somewhat timid small yorkie. It was rough at first, but now they are great friends, and were very unhappy when I moved out again. It was also ultimately very good for the yorkie's confidence to have a bigger buddy.

Here's what worked for us.
  1. I was committed to training Annie.
  2. I kept Annie on leash for most of the first week
  3. I had a crate in the living room, and used it
  4. I taught Annie that Trixie came first - if I fed the dogs, trixie was fed first. If Trixie wanted attention, I ignored Annie. Trixie thought I was hers, so I made sure to spend time with her independent of Annie.
  5. I intervened if Annie was too rough, and redirected or removed her
  6. I exercised Annie well at the dog park or on long walks.
  7. Rinse and repeat, for months.
It was tough, but with your daughters help (she needs to understand that Sammy needs to feel safe in his own home) you can do it. If the puppy is bouncing on Sammy during evening TV time - the puppy can be crated.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I agree with the use of physical barriers. I would also second the idea that your daughter is doing appropriate training to get her puppy to settle into being a pleasant family member. Doggie day care sounds like a good idea too. I wish you all success in getting this to work out well for all people and dogs.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I think you've got some great advice here. I also think you're right to be concerned, and wanted to pop in to support you in feeling those feelings.

Peggy spent just two one-hour classes with a dog reactive dog and has barked at every dog she's seen since. It doesn't take long for those bad habits to rub off.

Then again, it can work the other way. The humans need to back Sammy up and teach Chief some boundaries. This will be good for him (and your daughter) in the long run.

I think the most important thing will be ensuring Sammy has somewhere to escape to—keeping his "safe place" his safe place. If that means tethering or gating Chief, then that's what needs to be done.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your suggestions and support!
Daughter will be completely moved in tonight and I am very happy to have her back home. But, we will have our challenges.

Since I am working from home and my daughter works on-site 10 to 12 hours daily, the majority of training is going to fall on me. Chief does have a large crate and is used to being crated for about 4 - 5 hours daily. It's the rest of the time I'm worried about. Gates would be difficult due to my open floor plan, Chief's ability to jump like a gazelle on crack and loud, and I mean LOUD barking. But, I'll give it a try if necessary. Tethering, to myself or my son is also a good suggestion to give Sammy a reprieve. Sammy isn't perfect either ( although I think he is ). I cannot crate him or even leave him in another room for 2 minutes, when I am home.

Hopefully, as Chief adjusts to living here, he will calm down.

PeggyTheParti, I am so sorry that happened to your dog.

·
Super Moderator
1,274 Posts
As well as baby gates, you can purchase sturdy x-pen that stretch out the full width of a room, bolt to the wall or link together into a pen, and have a gate so you don't have to move them to pass through the room. I have two from North States, but you can get others.

·
Premium Member
9,620 Posts
Can you post a picture of Chief? Can’t figure out what that cross looks like or how big he might be. I loved For What’s advice and if your daughter is as diligent, as she, barriers in place, it can work. Instead of doggy daycare, how about obedience classes? Maybe a private class on the weekend, or during the week? Keep us updated and wishing you forbearance, patience and a sense of humor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was a pillow that was unstuffed. Two bath mats and a lamp cord ( luckily unplugged) were also among the casualties. Daughter does not crate him at night and I guess he got bored? Chief is confined to her room only overnight. all cords that are plugged in are out of reach.

It did go much better than I expected today. I basically spent my entire day doing nothing but over-seeing the dogs. Chief made good progress with the new "hush" command I am trying to teach him.

My groomer and I are going to have to have a more serious relationship. Sammy is a white poodle, who is turning brown in places and matted rapidly, due to the fact that Chief thinks Sammy is his own personal chew toy. Within 10 minutes of the two pups playing, Sammy's fur is WET, his eyes are leaking/gucky and most likely, Chief has peed on him. I am thinking a very short cut and frequent wipe downs for now.

I also need to be very vigilent that play doesn't get too rough. Although the size difference isn't too great ( 16 lbs - or so, he hasn't been weighed in awhile vs 9 lbs approximately), Chief is much stronger and pounces on Sammy repeatedly. He is also very mouthy, grabbing Sammy's legs,ears,neck and wrestles him down to the ground, drags him around etc. if I don't interfer.

We will get through this and make it work! It's wonderful to have this forum's advise and support while we struggle to combine our much loved pets into one household.

·
Registered
281 Posts
How much outside exercise does Chief get? It might help if your daughter took him for a good fast walk before she left for work in order to tire him out. He could probably use a walk or long fetch game in the yard with you later in the day. Outside exercise is a great time to work on training also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts