Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this doubles as my intro post. I've been a longtime lurker, and have really appreciated having this forum as a resource when I was researching breeders and preparing for my puppy! I picked up my poodle Maude in December, and she just turned 4 months old today. I took her to get groomed today for the first time since before she left the breeder. When I picked her up, the groomer asked me, "Is she really only 4 months old?" I thought maybe she was asking because of her weight (she's 30 pounds as weighed by the vet yesterday, which was more than I was expecting at this age!) However, she said she asked because her adult coat is already coming in, which she said usually starts around 8 months for poodles.

I've looked around here and online to see if this is possible, but almost everyone seems to agree that 8-10 months is usually when the adult coat starts coming in. Is the groomer crazy? Or is it possible my puppy's already getting her adult coat? I did notice her coat getting denser near the skin, but since I'm not at all an expert on poodles or their coats I didn't think much of it at the time!

I've included some pictures of her freshly groomed with her blow-out, and a bonus picture of her at only 8 weeks old the day we picked her up :)

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg IMG_0894.JPG

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
625 Posts
She's adorable! No experience on adult fur (yet) but if anyone should know, it would be a groomer, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
649 Posts
It still looks like a puppy coat to me, very fluffy with not many curls.

Adult coats come in at the roots though, I think. Maybe I just cant tell in a photo.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
117 Posts
It's possible for sure. Our girl Winnie was born on October 24 so she'll be 4 months tomorrow but is 17+ weeks. She weighs 28lbs. When she's brushed out she's super fluffy but her hair separates and is messy really fast because her curls are already an inch long. I want to clip her so bad but my husband isn't quite ready to say goodbye to the puppy fleece. If you look under her chin/neck where I clipped her short weeks ago you can see curls. She also lost her first tooth today. Our babies are growing up. 🐾😊

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Maude!

It would seem logical that a groomer should know but that's likely to depend on their experience, specifically with poodles.
I've always had miniatures but my most recent pups are the freshest in my memory. My boys were in coat change by 30 weeks/7 months. Four months seems very early for a standard to be in coat change.

ETA It seems 4 months may not be too early :)

examples
puppy fluff

to change in progress. The formerly straightish hair growing in literally changes to curly on the same strand, from the skin outward

to mostly adult coat. His coat is not an example of a good quality coat.but his light color is easier to see. His curls are fairly loose.

Reactions: CieCie

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
117 Posts
I forgot to say Welcome to you and your precious Maude!! 🤗

·
Registered
196 Posts
My little Winnie is 7 months and is quite curly now, in more places than others. This happened from about 6 months when we got her fluffy puppy fur cut off and she immediately went from a puppy that looked obese to one that looked lean and athletic. You could see through the puppy fluff that there were curly bits like around the top of the head and her ears but the length of the hair was pulling the curls out. She still has some waves but her back and chest is curly.
IMG_20210217_145311_427.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
Oona is 6.5 months and her coat started to get curly at the roots as early as 4 months. Not all over - mainly on her rump and her neck/throat (which I noticed when it came it curly after her first groom when they clipped her neck at 3.5) months. It was hard to see until I clipped her puppy coat down recently, like Winnie above. At almost 7 months now, her back, neck, chest, and sides are curly but her legs and belly and head are still pretty soft. Her curls are coarsest where they started to come in, on her rump. So I expect her to continue to get coarser overall over the next year plus.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oona is 6.5 months and her coat started to get curly at the roots as early as 4 months. Not all over - mainly on her rump and her neck/throat (which I noticed when it came it curly after her first groom when they clipped her neck at 3.5) months. It was hard to see until I clipped her puppy coat down recently, like Winnie above. At almost 7 months now, her back, neck, chest, and sides are curly but her legs and belly and head are still pretty soft. Her curls are coarsest where they started to come in, on her rump. So I expect her to continue to get coarser overall over the next year plus.
Yes I noticed Winnie's rump feels a lot more coarser than the rest of her. Her legs are so much softer.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you think it's curlier as the roots, then it probably is. I would trust your furparent instincts since you brush her regularly, cuddle regularly, etc. Plus, it's not like her health is in jeapordy. Line brushing will just take more of your time. Maybe consider a shorter cut in the spring leading into the summer. It saves a lot of time. It'll happen eventually.

Basil's a late bloomer, her coat didn't start to get curly until 9-10 months like a wine opener. But, I have this picture from the day I hacked her baby fluff off her back at 8 months old. It's pretty straight... I think the tips of her hair is brighter due to sun damage since I got her in June. It's an interesting "let's see what's underneath" type of picture...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts