Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Hope your new year is off to a good start. I wanted to post an announcement to let you know that starting on Monday, January 18, you will begin to see banner ads on the site.

Registered users will see less ads than unregistered users/guests.

For now, the ads will primarily be driven by Google until down the road, we can bring on more sponsors or partners.

If you're unhappy or offended by this in anyway, let me apologize in advance. Since acquiring this site back in September, we have done our best to hold off on putting ads on the site as long as possible. At the same time, there are costs associated with this site (top-notch hosting and servers, around the clock tech support team to ensure this site is always up and running smoothly) and we need to offset those costs somehow. It's either charge the membership or put on ads. Now aren't you glad we decided to go the route of ads? :)

Let me reassure you with a few things:

1. The site will continue to be FREE for anyone to use and enjoy.

2. We will do our very very best to ensure that ads that go against our love for all things poodles (and for that matter, pets in general) will not show up.

SOMETIMES, an ad will be served by Google that bypasses the filters we have set up. If this happens, please try to stay calm and just send me a PM with the link in question and I will have it blocked.

I am leaving this thread open for your feedback and suggestions or if you really need to, your venting :). Please keep it as civil as possible. :)

Thanks again!

Yung

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I am leaving this thread open for your feedback and suggestions or if you really need to, your venting
OK... Here you go...

Seriously, though - I have trained myself to ignore most banner ads (hope the vendors don't mind!) :) They won't bother me, Yung - and THANKS for holding off on charging memberships just yet! :grouphug:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
OK... Here you go...

Seriously, though - I have trained myself to ignore most banner ads (hope the vendors don't mind!) :) They won't bother me, Yung - and THANKS for holding off on charging memberships just yet! :grouphug:
Nice sense of humor Plum!! LOL

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I for one am just very grateful to have a great poodle forum! I've been a member of others, but none are as popular as this one, and I know that this is primarily so popular and busy because you guys have been working hard to keep it at the top of searches etc too!!!

Most of the forums I'm on have ads, and I honestly don't pay them any attention, so it doesn't worry me that we will have ads here too!!! I remember on a pet rat forum that google managed to get through pest control ad, the uproar was stupid, but I had never even noticed it! lol. Honestly, if that sort of thing got through here, I'm sure we all know it wasn't intentional, google ads work purely by taking key words on the page and matching them to key words in ads, no one is purposely trying to advertise anything bad here with us! :)

Keep up the good work :)

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Flyinyduster: I'm shocked at your response. There really is a forum devoted to pet rats? :). More interestingly, people keep rats as pets?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Coping the best I can LMAO

Thought I would "get used to it" ha ha, but I do not think so :doh: - will just have to live with it ;)

I am certainly glad I have "pop-up " filter or I would go nuts otherwise LOL

Is there any other way /format of how adds can be displayed ??? It is really distracting to have every third/forth post displaced by a commercial *sigh ???

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's a little annoying when I cannot see the adorable TPFKAP because of the ads. I think that's going too far. They should not be on top of pictures or text.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The original post by poodleadm is from 2010 but he said he left the post open so that we could give feedback.

I am not sure what ability they have to block ads. I don't even understand who owns Poodleforum.com--the administration we talk to or someone in PetGuide.com as shown at the bottom of the pf screens.

It would be nice if the administrators could let us know what is and is not possible as far as these pop-up ads that appear on top of text instead of the banner areas which are between text.

Is the problem that PetCo paid their money to the forum or to PetGuide.com and we cannot do anything to delete their pop-ups ads, or is this a technical?

Please don't tell us to delete our cookies and it might help. I have done that. Most people are downloading AdBlocker+ in defense of these super annoying ads, and thus we are not seeing the other not-so-annoying ads. If you want ad support for the forum, then the pop-ups need to be prevented.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
As much as I've enjoyed PF, I won't be using it in the foreseeable future because of the Petco pop-up ad. Clearly administrators have no intention of putting a stop to it, and while there have been suggestions from members to install adblock+ to control it, I think this is so egregious that I shouldn't be responsible for managing it. I realize ads pay for the forums, and I'm happy to tolerate the kind that have been here in the past, but failure of the admins to stop what has caused chaos tells me they don't have much, if any, respect for the members.

Reactions: Gryphon
1 - 9 of 9 Posts