Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 6 month old apricot/cream parti standard poodle here in my area that is up for adoption. We've been looking at breeders and think we have found a good one in the area that will be having a litter between feb-april. I just happened to stumble across this 6 month old on craigslist and am thinking about going to meet him.

Any ideas on things to look for or ask about for adopted poodles? Any pros/cons of adopting a 6month old rather than getting an 8week old that I may not think of? If this puppy has adapted bad habits or not been trained properly, how hard is it to correct behavioral problems? We plan on doing as much obedience classes with whatever pup we find, but being a first time dog owner, not sure what red flags to really look out for other than aggression, being overly shy/fearful in an older dog...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What do you mean "adoption?" Do you mean there is a breeder that has a puppy for sale? If adoption does it come from a place like a mill resuce or some similar situation? What's known about the dog? What's it's temperament and energy level?

I'd think a 6 month old is still very young and would adjust just as easily as an 8 week old.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
There is a 6 month old apricot/cream parti standard poodle here in my area that is up for adoption. We've been looking at breeders and think we have found a good one in the area that will be having a litter between feb-april. I just happened to stumble across this 6 month old on craigslist and am thinking about going to meet him.

Any ideas on things to look for or ask about for adopted poodles? Any pros/cons of adopting a 6month old rather than getting an 8week old that I may not think of? If this puppy has adapted bad habits or not been trained properly, how hard is it to correct behavioral problems? We plan on doing as much obedience classes with whatever pup we find, but being a first time dog owner, not sure what red flags to really look out for other than aggression, being overly shy/fearful in an older dog...
Aggression would be a real biggie and fear is another.. Make sure that the dog will come to you without either... The dog is in rescue for a reason.. Find out why the dog is there ask a hundred questions....What happened to the owners why is he here Blah Blah ...

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
If it's for adoption it's kind of an AS IS situation. It's 6 months so it should be fine on training. I would also want their previous shot record/vet visits, just ask the normal questions not saying you will get all your answers though because sometimes they do not have the full history.

I see adoption ads on craiglist a lot anymore from shelter and HS. I would say go for it if the pup looks healthy and adorable, it sounds like it:) You may just save a poodle life! Good luck!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean "adoption?" Do you mean there is a breeder that has a puppy for sale? If adoption does it come from a place like a mill resuce or some similar situation? What's known about the dog?
I think it is in a foster home right now... I emailed and asked why is he up for adoption... and haven't heard back yet... there was no other contact info other than the the craigslist email... and I'm actually not sure if it's a foster home, the way they wrote it made it sound like it. Hopefully I'll get some more info.

I honestly hadn't thought much about adoption just since I've never seen a standard in our area at any shelters or on petfinder.com... I like with a breeder that you know more about background, how pup was raised ect... but if it's a good-natured spoo I can't think of a reason why not?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think it is in a foster home right now... I emailed and asked why is he up for adoption... and haven't heard back yet... there was no other contact info other than the the craigslist email... and I'm actually not sure if it's a foster home, the way they wrote it made it sound like it. Hopefully I'll get some more info.

I honestly hadn't thought much about adoption just since I've never seen a standard in our area at any shelters or on petfinder.com... I like with a breeder that you know more about background, how pup was raised ect... but if it's a good-natured spoo I can't think of a reason why not?
I cannot agree more with your last statement - I have just went through a similar situation where the dog was in a foster home and then back to the breeder no bad circumstances and an older dog but basically they were looking for a good family oriented home that could provide more individual time. I am new in and so far so good, although I did get a good deal of info again you may not get all that but as you said if it's good natured I would do this first. Some people get all kinds of pet and turn around and not want them so they do not take care of them and drop them off somewhere they get cleaned up, just like kpoos has recently done and they go to a good home, maybe it will be a fit maybe not - but I think it's worth a try.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after talking to the lady I realize this pup was from a litter she couldn't place. She said they are asking $300 for him. She also said this was a first and last time breeding her poodles as it was more work than she expected!

I attached a picture of the dog, doesn't look anything like an apricot/cream parti as described, and I know I'm still learning, but the coat looks like it needs some help or is this normal puppy coat?? It might just be the cut around the face, but something looks off.

I honestly don't think we'll go meet this pup... I would love to, but if I'm going to go through a breeder, I *think* we can wait for the right breeder. :) If it was in a shelter I would have been much more interested in meeting the dog...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Poor guy... :( I think if it were me, I'd wait too... I feel really, really bad for this poor dog who didn't ASK to be brought into this world by people who didn't know what the heck they were doing. I agree that something looks hinkey with his haircut (is there a ton of extra hair on the sides of his face and under his jaw?)

I'd want my first experience with a new dog to be right - either from a good, respected breeder, or a true rescue from a shelter (especially if the rescue dog is older; that it would fit my family dynamics)... I'd be afraid that if I took a "left-over" puppy from a BYB and it didn't work out, there'd be no one to go back to (the breeder who offers a lifetime agreement to help/assist/listen or a shelter who also would have additional resources to assit with any issues)

When you find the right pup for you - You will know... It will feel right... Gooooood LUCK!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What a poor unfortunate looking puppy. I hope he doesn't end up in the shelter and it often times happens. I'd wait too. No need to provide this woman money for doing something stupid.

·
Registered
646 Posts
See me I am a impulse person and I would snatch that little cutie up in a heartbeat.
No he didn't ask for his spot in life but other then a botched face clip which can be fixed in minutes he looks adorable to me.
Both my guys are from peoples houses. I am not bashing breeders but we did the great breeder thing with all tested dogs and ended up putting down a dog at not yet 3 for major aggression.
I personally love dogs that are peoples pets that breed as you see the real personality not kennel dogs that sometimes come in the house if they have a litter.
I don't show nor never plan so a pet is perfect for me. Only issue ever had this way was Mastiff who lived till almost 7 Normal for mastiff unfortunatly but not long enough for me.

Anyways good luck to you on your search you have a lot more patience then me. I want what I want when I want it and have no patience to wait LOL.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
See me I am a impulse person and I would snatch that little cutie up in a heartbeat.
No he didn't ask for his spot in life but other then a botched face clip which can be fixed in minutes he looks adorable to me.
Both my guys are from peoples houses. I am not bashing breeders but we did the great breeder thing with all tested dogs and ended up putting down a dog at not yet 3 for major aggression.
I personally love dogs that are peoples pets that breed as you see the real personality not kennel dogs that sometimes come in the house if they have a litter.
I don't show nor never plan so a pet is perfect for me. Only issue ever had this way was Mastiff who lived till almost 7 Normal for mastiff unfortunatly but not long enough for me.

Anyways good luck to you on your search you have a lot more patience then me. I want what I want when I want it and have no patience to wait LOL.
Yes if it will be a pet only - I would agree but would want the price lower. Mine are all pet only not a show person. So all of my dogs have been at a discount:) But are healthy and great looking. He is cute and I like the color - not a parti which would suit me better. BUT if your looking for a high quality/price puppy keep looking:) Why has he not been chosen I wonder....?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Why has he not been chosen I wonder....?
On top of the stigma poodles already have, cream/white MALE spoos are less desired as cream/white is a feminine colour. The same happened with Mitchell. He's an amazing guy, but no one wanted a cream male pup.

There could be other issues with this particular pup, but I know gender and colour are also a factor.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
On top of the stigma poodles already have, cream/white MALE spoos are less desired as cream/white is a feminine colour. The same happened with Mitchell. He's an amazing guy, but no one wanted a cream male pup.

There could be other issues with this particular pup, but I know gender and colour are also a factor.
Had not thought of that with the gender....How true - my Olie is a light apricot and he's a total sweetheart!! LOVE LOVE this little guy:)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Well, as you know Flip is an adoption/rescue from a 'breeder relinquish'...whatever that means. However that was out of state...so I will never know what really went on.

Anyway! The questions I asked were:

1) How much, if any, training has he had?
2) Is he house broken?
3) Is he crate trained (he was until I f'd it up! :p)
4) What is his appetite like?
5) How does he behave for grooming?
6) How well socialized is he with people/other pets?
7) How long can he be left alone?
8) Is he allowed/does he go on the furniture?
9) What age was he neutered (if he was)?
10) Do you have any/all medical records for him?
11) Do you know of any health problems he may have had, or might be predisposed to?
12) How does he behave in the car?
13) How is he with children?
14) Does he walk nicely on a leash or will he need to learn?

:) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know... I might go and meet him... I do feel bad for the little fella, unsure of what the home he is in is like. The one color we really didn't want was white! Though I love the look the upkeep scared me a bit... maybe since I've never had a white animal, I picture them getting dirty and hard to clean up? She said he would be very large too... oh and yes she said he is papered, so no doodle.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I didn't find the one I had any harder to keep clean than the black. They get into the same amount of stuff it's just more evident with whites if they've been in dirt but you'd still wash either color if they were dirty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't find the one I had any harder to keep clean than the black. They get into the same amount of stuff it's just more evident with whites if they've been in dirt but you'd still wash either color if they were dirty.
Gotcha. What I was worried about, does the white fur get stained and/or is it harder to keep pretty white looking? I've seen people talk about special "white" shampoos and stuff...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I think I've seen some people use Dawn to get the coat really white (I'd only do this if it's really dirty) and then a good conditioning shampoo with a light conditioner rinsed very well. You can buy whitening shampoo but it's pretty harsh on their skin so you'd only use it when you really needed to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts