Poodle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the option to adopt a 3 year old female standard poodle. The poodle is currently living in the exburbs. I live in the city. Do you think it will have a hard time adjusting to city life? Will it bark? Will it be nervous all the time?

Given it’s age, will it have a hard time forming a bond with a new person?

·
Super Moderator
11,670 Posts
All of those things are possible. It depends a lot on her history and temperament, as well as your lifestyle and what you plan to do with her.

Do you have any information on her history and current living situation? And do you know why she needs a new home?

Also: Have you met her yet? And is this rehome through a rescue or breeder?

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
I have the option to adopt a 3 year old female standard poodle. The poodle is currently living in the exburbs. I live in the city. Do you think it will have a hard time adjusting to city life? Will it bark? Will it be nervous all the time?

Given it’s age, will it have a hard time forming a bond with a new person?
I got my older minipoo when she was almost a year old. She is tightly bonded to me and my family. You would never know I didn’t raise her as a puppy.

She was a puppy held back for conformation and was never taught to sit or lay down … all the things puppies normally learn. Conformation dogs can’t sit down when in the ring. I took her to obedience classes and through the training we bonded. You can do this too.

Does she bark now? My older minipoo is not a barker. I can take her anywhere and she won’t bark. My puppy is a barker that we’re having good success minimizing his barking. He’s stopped barking in the house and only barks under certain conditions outside. He generally doesn’t bark when he’s away from home, but I wouldn’t trust him not to bark.

Is the dog nervous now or not? If it’s not nervous now it should do well.

What do you know about this poodle? Did you meet her?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Peggy is right. There is no one size fits all answer to these questions. You need to meet her and ask all these questions to the people who know about her. But I hope it works out for you, and if so, that you will post lots of pictures. :)

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Did you forget your login for the account you created a few days ago? The mods can help you join them up.

(9) Should I get a poodle? | Poodle Forum

I'm not sure you're truly excited over this particular poodle. You mention that she's a female but refer to her as "it" several times. This seems like you're distancing yourself from her. I may be misreading your phrasing.

Would you mind telling us what your prior dog experience has been? You'd mentioned being interested in poodles but prior dog experience will be very helpful. Standards are lovely dogs but can be quite challenging for a first time owner.

Answers to the questions you've asked about the poodle's potential behaviors, to the questions posed to you, and those that would be answered by someone who knows the dog and the circumstances of the need for her to be rehomed will be helpful.

Without more detail about her and you, the answers can only be "maybe yes, maybe no". Dogs, poodles are individuals, just as humans are.

Reactions: Liz

·
Super Moderator
11,670 Posts
Did you forget your login for the account you created a few days ago? The mods can help you join them up.
Ahh! Good catch, Rose. Thank you!

@Atomabr1 / @Atomabr - Please send a message using this link, letting admin know you’ve inadvertently created two accounts and letting them know which username you’d like to keep: Contact Us

Until they respond, please only post from the account you’ll be keeping. I’m here to help if you’ve got any questions. :)

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
As with most things in life, you can never be 100% sure of anything. You could just as easily adopt a young dog or puppy and it could end up with the same issues. I'd meet the dog and ask to spend some time with it perhaps as a foster to see how it adapts. Most dogs will adapt to new environments pretty well. I had a dog that lived in a wood box in a barn for most of 4 years. When I adopted him he was so shy he would poop if you tried to handle him, but in the end I had him 12 years and he turned out very sweet and adapted well to house living.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
After you have a chance to meet the dog and get a feel for it's temperment then we can help with the acclimation to the city and give you our best tips.

Like, putting up an opaque material around the bottom of the windows to prevent the urge to bark at dogs that walk by, or how it's the same slow process for acclimating them to city noises like siren's, garbage truck breaks, buses, motor cycle mufflers, etc. A handful of us live in the city and can share our experiences with best practices. It's not like a night and day difference, but there are some similarities and differences. Leash manner are a must lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts