Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know those clippers with the adjustable blade lengths? Well, I always thought poorly of them (I always guessed they wouldn't work very well), but I saw a groomer in my shop using one and.. well it looks kind of nice lol. She swears by it, says "You HAVE to get one of these, they're amazing." Really cute, compact, and has settings for like a 10/15/30/40, something like that. I didn't closely examine it or anything.

Anyway, do any of you have any experience with them? Are they worth the money? I would LOVE to have the option to try a 15 or a 30 on Desmond, but I suppose I could just get the blades, huh? Just curious as to your opinions on these types of clippers. The groomers I know really like them, but I've heard mixed reviews online.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I have several different kinds of clippers/trimmers including an adjustable one (the Laube Speed Feed) I really do like my Laube for FFT!! I've read differing reviews just from the members here (some really like their Laubes, others prefer a different adjustable clippers, and yet others truly DISLIKE the Laubes...) It really *IS* a personal opinion on what works best for you!

I use my Laube on the 30 for face and feet... I've been doing a 10 reverse on Lucy's fanny (just because it's such a big area to clip since she was put in the CC pattern and I don't want her to look "skinned" back there! :lol:) I think I'll use the 15 next time I clean her up... I really like the adjustability of a clipper like this!

Good luck with your research! :)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
YES!! I have a wahl arco and i Love it!! It has an adjustable blade from 9, 10, 15, 30, 40 length. I use a 30 to shave Rys face/feet. I will not use any other clipper to do that. I dont feel comfortable with that short of a blade on a big bulky clipper. Mine is worth its weight in gold! Not cheap at all. We have them at work too. They power through anything. I have clipped up matted husy coats for ultrasounds, do surgery shaves, needle/catheter clips, cat shavedowns, etc.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah I think it would mostly get used for FFT around here. I mostly use attachment combs for the body anyway or just hand scissor it, lol. I may look into investing into one of these adjustable clippers... what are they like to care for in comparison to clippers with removable blades? I quite like being able to pop the blade off to wipe it down or let it cool down.

The groomer who was talking about them said that they are only like $100, the ones she had (which I really liked!! They were really compact and small, really nice for feet). I'm sure the fancier or bigger ones would be more expensive though.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Care is super easy! I just literally pop off the blade and set on on concrete for fast cooling. I wipe them easily too. I have also had to actually scrub and wash them at the clinic (you can imagine the things we sometimes have to clip). I just make sure to dry and oil them well and they are fine.

I got my arcos for around (or just under) 100$ seven years ago from petedge. The body is still going strong, but ive had to replace the blade a couple times (for 7 years that isnt bad). I can get a replacement at farm and fleet or a petstore for like 20$.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also have the Wahl Arco in pink. Love it :)
Yup, that's the one the groomer I was talking to had!! I'm thinking about getting it maybe... it's awfully cute looking, and I LOVE that it's cordless. Pretty cheap, too. Like $140 or less.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have the Wahl Arco Moser too. . . love it!

I used to have an Andis with two blades I used to rotate, and the blade got so hot it melted right through the paper towels and ice pack I had out to cool it. Of course I didn't notice in time and the blue stuff leaked out and ruined my kitchen table.

My Arcos never get hot, they don't vibrate, they're quiet, and the blade is easy to pop off and clean. I've had mine for around 4 years and have replaced the blade once. They're pretty cheap online. I only use mine for one dog, fft once every 2 weeks, and body every 6 weeks. I do everything with it, though it's pretty hard to do the body with the combs. The hair gets stuck underneath and it makes me crazy. I'd like to get a normal set of clippers as well as these so I can put on a big thick blade and just zip through the long hair of her body.I swear by these though. Even if I do get a regular pair, I'll keep these to do fft, and other tricky to get spots. Cordless clippers can go places corded clippers can't. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I absolutely love my cordless Wahl Arco trimmers, and wouldn't be without at least one! I use it for FF&T, sanitary, tummy, arm pits, and started using it to bevel the leg cuffs - amazing how nice it comes out. I often skim topknots with it, too, and the inside of ears.

I bought the original one back in 2003, and it's still going strong. Got a pink one for Maddy, and when Lucia joined the family, I got her a pink one, too. The blade doesn't get hot, and it's so much easier to use than the heavier corded clippers. When Maddy's in the Miami clip, I use it with a snap on comb to do her body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts