Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone has had the experience of adding a toy poodle to your home when you have a standard poodle. Is it a good idea or is there too much size difference for it to work?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Wow I cannot give any advise as I have all toys, but it would scare me. My 3.5 LB ran into Sage my 5 LB and both yelped and she knocked Sage down.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
My minipoo and my daughter's rough collie love each other............ but they struggle to play together because of the size difference. Also my minipoo has to be wary and keep her distance from the collie when the collie is moving around because she's so much larger and heavier - she could hurt my minipoo. With a toy and a standard you have an even greater size difference. Personally I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have a 3.8 pound pom and a 50 pound standard and they are great together. I did start out with the pom first then added a standard puppy, which in some ways may be good and bad.
Good cause the standard starts smaller and so the pom can give him the what-for and the standard will listen.
Bad cause the standard is a wild puppy who doesn't necessarily listen to anyone haha.

I certainly don't regret having both, but obviously you want to keep a good eye on things. My pom knows to look out for the standard and move out of his way. They play well together but I supervise and make sure the the standard doesn't accidentally get too rough.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I’ve had medium and small breeds together and the smaller dog is the one that pays for it. I won’t do it again.

If you absolutely want to, get a bigger toy and make sure it’s very confident. And you will have to carefully monitor them. The thing is, even if you do, the smaller dog will soon learn that it has to be careful or else it risks getting hurt.

So they become more quiet and keep to themselves for their own protection. I find it sad for the little one.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
We have two standard poodles and a nearly 100 pound German Shepherd dog. My mom has a small mpoo (just over 11" and about 11 pounds). He is always careful around our dogs. They make him nervous. I always supervise very carefully. I would be very very cautious about a toy with a standard.

Reactions: Dechi and ericwd9

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input! It's seems my thoughts of it not being the best fit are right on point! Appreciate everybody's response!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Oh my goodness my pom certainly doesn't hold back. He begs my standard to play with him!
https://www.facebook.com/priscilla.kornelson/videos/10156361977875132/

and this is how they play 90% of the time, with Asher upside down. (sorry for the video of a video)

They love each other so very much.
I'm not saying it's always a great fit, but it certainly can work out well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cute! We used to have a german spitz and a lab, the video with the pom remains me of them. I have seen many cases where dogs of different sizes get along really well, you just need to be a bit more cautious at the beginning, in case the larger dog gets too excited and accidentally injure the smaller one

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I love the video of Asher and Haku playing. Our 60 lb Lab, Opal, and 11 lb minipoo, Zoe, are enthusiastic playmates. What Zoe lacks in weight she makes up for with agility. I know that Opal will be over the moon when Zoe comes home next month. She keeps checking the place where Zoe's crate goes hoping that Zoe will appear.

We had Zoe before we got Opal, so perhaps if the small dog is there first it makes a difference.

Our smallest dog, Miss Molly the Chihuahua, rarely invites play with any of the other three dogs. Zoe picked on Molly constantly trying to get her to play, but there is almost 8 years age difference. We will see what the dynamics are when Zoe returns. She has been in a home with standard poodles, so maybe she has learned a bit of respect?!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Jasper is around 8 pounds and Miracle is around 13. She has accidentally jumped on him before when she didn't realize he was on the sofa and he yelped. This has happened several times. I would be worried about the weight difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
we have a toy poodle, Border Collie, and a 3 year old crazy lab. All is well in our household. Poodle watches out for herself just fine. Make sure poodle has its own time away from larger dog to adjust and get to play without having to watchful of bigger dog

1 - 14 of 14 Posts