Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, call me crazy. I drove 400+ miles both Saturday and Sunday to go to the Jackson, MS shows. Hadn't really planned on going back Sunday but when I woke up at 3:15, I said, "What the heck?!" Love having books on CD to pass the time. Watched both conformation classes and obedience and took many, many photos. Surprisingly, there were enough Minis competing to make a major. I am smitten with the silver and blue poodles and golden retrievers. One of these days...hopefully, soon.

Here's a sampling of some of the dogs that were there.

Isn't this little girl precious?

I believe the white standard is the #1 standard for 2009, although she didn't win yesterday. Loved the blue girl.

This is a friend and her poodle competing in Open for points toward her OTCH. She came in third and earned 2 points. She now has 48 of the required 100 points and has already met the rest of the requirements. Go Wendy and Whoopi!

Sweet, happy golden.

(Hate to admit it but it's been so long since I've posted any pics that it has taken me awhile to refresh my photo-posting skills. Good thing I'm off work today!)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Great photos! I love the mini especially.

I have to say, that white standard has too much hair on the top of its head for my liking. It's slanted to the side there's so much of it!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, if you want to see some big hair look at this one. The dog was too big and had too much hair for my taste. I much preferred the smaller blue. (But, of course, I may be partial!)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Wouldn't it be fantastic to go to the Eukanuba show? You got some great pictures! My favorite is of the mini. It reminds me of my Zulee. :love:

I'm like you. I rather see smaller dogs without so much hair. A poodle should be light and springy. Besides for breeding stock, I'm not interested in a beehive hairdo that you know they use wiggies to get that look anyway. I wish they would concentrate more on structure. JMO.

The only exception is toys. I don't like seeing the toy being breed to be super small. I think it's a detriment to the breed in all sorts of ways.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I acutally showed at one of these in the 90's I won the breed went into the group ring and there were al these cameras HA HA ,needless to say I did not win the group . So I never even apeared on TV . Of course that was with my Irish Setter Sunshine :) Not a spoo...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't mean to leave out the toys.

She thought the judge had a treat!

And a few more minis...

I'm thinking some of these photos may help me with show grooming once I get a puppy. And don't the black poodles stand out? Wonder if that's why blacks (and whites) win more, because it is so much easier to see their profile and their movement around the ring. But I guess it could work against you if you had something you really didn't want the judge looking at.
Only thing you can't see as well is their expression, and I miss seeing that.

No reds were entered in standards or minis.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wonder who won Eukanuba? I meant to look at the AKC website earlier today and see. It would have been wonderful to go there and see it in person. Maybe someone on the forum went and can tell us about it.

I'm impressed Bigredpoodle! Winning the breed was quite an accomplishment.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Wonder who won Eukanuba? I meant to look at the AKC website earlier today and see. It would have been wonderful to go there and see it in person. Maybe someone on the forum went and can tell us about it.

I'm impressed Bigredpoodle! Winning the breed was quite an accomplishment.
Thanks she was a very pretty girl :) She was my Bred by Exibitor bitch and she also won Best Bred By That day ... She won the breed several times and had a 5 point major and lots of singles ... but I nver finished her as her hips were horrible I was devastated...Any way this was my Sunshine baby doo...
I hope someday to be in this same palce with my red poo :) Fingers crossed ...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Amerique, any idea which kennel those silver minis came from? The more I see the silvers, the more I like them, although I also still love the blacks. :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Really nice shots. Thank you for sharing this with us. The white definitely has way too much hair for me. It gets to the point where they start to look ridiculous. I love the blacks!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was curious myself. The silver in the puppy clip is Cratan Pandora's Box at Calliope, and the one in the Continental is Ch. Amity Mystical Horizon's Heaven Sent.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yup too much hair on those dogs. They stop looking like dogs at some point and start looking like something else. Not sure what but definitely not something that you want to own as a pet or hunt or go hiking with that's for sure. Great pictures though, thanks for posting them.:)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, let's see. I marked my catalog during the mini competition because someone said that's the best way to learn how to count points. Laughing at myself right now, because I am just now figuring out that all dogs have odd numbers and bitches have even numbers. See, it's already paying off!

Saturday:
MINI:
Best of Variety: Silver in Continental in the pictures above (Ch. Amity Mystical Horizon's Heaven Sent)
Best of Winners: Brown Puppy from 6-9 mos. class (Ash's Mystical Mama Mia Amity Queen)
Best of Opposite Sex: (Forever Confettis What a Class Act)

STANDARD:
BOV: Didn't mark the catalog during standards and can't read the number from the photo so I'm not sure of name. It was the black dog that I posted and said had really big hair!!!
BOW: Sharbelle Man in Black from Open Dogs class.
BOS: the beautiful blue, Pajak Pretty Woman from the Open Bitches class.

Sunday:
MINI:
BOV: Silver in Continental in the pictures above (Ch. Amity Mystical Horizon's Heaven Sent)
BOW: Eaglehill's A Season of Hope from Open Bitches class.
BOS: black puppy, Legend Ladies' Man from Puppy Dogs 6-9 months class.

The pretty silver mini bitch won her class (even though only 1 entered)--Puppy Bitches 9-under 12 mos.

And I missed the Standard competition because I was in another building watching Obedience.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thank you so much for posting these photos. It is always great to see the dogs that are showing and the ones that win, and to see the clips they have. Very helpful!

Yep, that dog has tooooo much hair for me too! I think they are just getting too carried away with that! Oh, well, I'm sure there are those that love it.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Thank you so much for posting these photos. It is always great to see the dogs that are showing and the ones that win, and to see the clips they have. Very helpful!

Yep, that dog has tooooo much hair for me too! I think they are just getting too carried away with that! Oh, well, I'm sure there are those that love it.

me.... I just wish I could know that when I see a Spoo look like this that it is natural and there is no cheating involved.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Even if there were no cheating involved, that dog can't just be a dog or someone's pet. It has to be banded and treated with kit gloves in order to maintain that hair. What are we doing with these dogs if we aren't loving them as pets first? If they are just living in some handler's kennel waiting to finish their championship when their family is at home waiting on them, it's just sad. What I like to see are the ones that are beautifully groomed where they look like they can be someone's pet and someone's show dog at the same time. It's a lot less hair but oh well. If judges put a stop to all of that and stopped putting up the dog with the huge mane of hair this wouldn't get out of hand more than it already is.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts