Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found today moose chewed up our drip system lines near the fence. He must have been playing around in the bark and saw a nice black chew toy :rolleyes:

What kind of exercise do you do for your poodle and how often?

Moose can go FOREVER, it takes about 2 hours of serious walking to really tire him out for the rest of the day. He also cat naps and has tons of energy again.

SO, what is your exercise routine?
Should I get him a brother to play with to help cure the energy? It seems like we (humans) will never be enough!
-Todd

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exercise

Hi

Wow your poodle is active. What type of poodle is it - minature? How old is he? I have just bought 2 minature boy poodles (7 weeks old) and they are quite active and getting into everything - they do love to chew. Having two helps too as they can tire each other out and are good company together when we are out. They fight a fair bit - I suppose I can't really stop this. One tends to be more aggressive and hurt the other more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Get hiim a brother or sister! This was the best thing we did for Donner... we got Molly. Before that I was having to chasing him around the back yard for play. (You might try that because chasing him around was a lot more active than just walking).

My dogs get to run on 60 acres on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Then during the week they are tired and get one "sleepy dog day". Then the rest of the week they play with each other. Of course, we have no lawn to speak of in the back yard!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about getting him a brother or sister but I didn't want 2x my hands full. I think I will probably do that eventually.

Donnalee- Standard poodle, about 10/mo now. Still a lil kid I gues :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure how old moose is.. But our trainer had us only allow Carlo in certain areas of the house. In fact unless he was out to eat or go to the bathroom he was in his X-pen up until he was 12 weeks old. We used baby gates to keep him in certain rooms. Then as he grew older, we would let his world expand. Poodles as you know don't have fur, they have hair like you and I.. so if you are cold, they are cold. Does Moose live outside? We have a doggie door so Carlo can go out, but he also has been trained where to "go" when he goes out in the back yard. If he goes out, he will generally sit on the recliner under the portico and watch the birds. Now mind you, Carlo is not a calm dog. The best thing we ever did was get his brother Sergio. The two wear each other out, running up and down the stairs and wrestling with each other. We take them out at least twice a day for a half hour to run around. We also give them lots and lots of raw hide chews. I can tell you it is easier with two... since they are very social and do not like being left alone. Dogs to chew up stuff when they are bored and if they don't have any rawhides to chew. We go through about 10 pressed 4 in rawhide bones a week. The only negative part is of having 2 it is twice the cost to feed and groom them, but it is much easier on them and you.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Well have 4 dogs in the main house so Tues gets to play all day in the frount yard. I take her for a 1 mile walk/jog at least once a day (well not so much lately but will be getting more regular thought) but she is not overtly active.

If you are not ready for another Standard what about a different sized Poodle or just find him a play buddy with a friend or neighbor.

Oh and you may want to get him a Buster Cube for when he is alone in the yard. I have heard many many good things about them. Also a Kong is a good play thing inside the house or if they are heavy duty chewers like mine or if you just want to change it up you can get a Shin Bone. But don't leave him alone with it as they can if determent enough break a piece off ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Our miniature poodle (4 yr old male) is impossible to tire out, too. Does your dog like to fetch? We take him to the park every morning for a half hour and play fetch with a chuck-it (it throws much farther than an arm). Although he's never really "done," it does take the edge off so that he's pretty mellow the rest of the day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our girl is 11 months old and has tons of energy. She has a big, fenced in back yard that she does "laps" in, many MANY toys, two teenage boys to play with and we regularly play fetch with her. Or even hide and seek. I don't know that it really tires her out completely but we don't have any problems with her chewing on things she's not supposed to or really acting out at all.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moose loves to do laps in the backyard and around our kitchen table :rolleyes:

He tires out after a while if he gets bored... if not he keeps going and going then he just PASSES OUT!

Moose will be 1yr/o next month.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I read somewhere once that if you don't give poodles something like an agility course to work on that they will make their own. Our back yard is totally landscaped, with a patio and a stone walkway to a firepit surrounded by gravel, several different stoned off flowerbeds, trees, etc......she definitely made her own. She also has to have one of her favorite toys in her mouth while she's running her laps. She's hilarious. Our own comic relief.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is Moose Fixed? He is still very young. He won't calm down until he is about 4... and also our trainer/breeder tells us it is "all what you get them accoustomed" to. So if you walk them for an hour a day every day, that is what they will get used to and expect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own an 18 month old miniature poodle who seems to have an endless supply of energy also!
I would highly reccomend agility as a way to relieve your poodle of his excess energy. My boy loves it and it really does tire him out as it works his mind as well as his body. He also attends obdience classes and although these are much less physically demanding they do also tire him out as he spends a solid peroid of time concentrating and working hard :)
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Inca and Coco walk on the lead for about an hour a day. They also play up the meadows for about half an hour - pulling each other about, running, sniffing and generally messing about. I dance with Inca, take her to agility 3/4 times a week and have agility equipment up in the garden. We also do obedience training and both poodles do doggy games - searching for things, doing tricks, opening boxes and I also have a particular dog activity toy that they both use. I think exercising the mind is as important as the body.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts