Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so Cleo's play area is the gated off kitchen. Her crate is in there, and there's a door to the backyard. She naps in there, etc. The kitchen has a wood floor with a water-based finish (vs oil-based). When we got the floor and its finish, more than 10 years ago, and when we had it sanded and refinished a couple years ago, we did not have a dog. If we had, oil-based probably would be more durable. I can already see the scratches all over the place when the light hits them (they look like scratch-shaped indentations, for the most part, rather than gouges). I trim her nails regularly and file them until they're smooth. I have mats covering some areas (by the sink, by the back door). Is there anything I can do to decrease the scratching? or is this just one of those things we have to live with...?

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
They make these things that go on the dog's nails but you have to be careful about them because I've heard they can cause trouble if you don't change them regularly and make sure they aren't pushing up too much against the top where the skin is. So I think with care, you could try those. I have a neighbor who uses them. I have hickory floors and they are tougher than even big dog nails when they slip and slide when I have had other dogs in my house. I'm not sure what finish it is...I am pretty sure some kind of oil.

https://www.amazon.com/Canine-Soft-Claws-Medium-Natural/dp/B0006NE516

Or you might check out some kind of booties. (non-slip) I am not sure what's out there but you can google it and see what there is. I'm sorry your floors are getting scratched. Dang. :argh:

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have this issue slightly, but it is not too bad since my fur ball spends most of his time on the carpet or outside (thank goodness). I looked this up a while back and here are a few things I found that I thought were not too great and a bit of a hassle. But may work for you!
1. booties on the paws
2. Nail caps (really odd)
3. Socks on dog
4. Floor work/coating (not ideal at all)

I used the sock option once and it did not end well LOL!

I ended up getting some big floor mats in his most-visited areas of the kitchen... by the doors and in the kitchen sink area (he naps here). They luckily fit-in and do not stand out since we got some that matched our color theme.

Placing mats in his most trafficked area (by the doors, his favorite play spots) could really help with scratches in those areas. It may not be pretty but it worked for us!

Hope you find something that works for you!! :)

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Sadly all my wood floors have light scratches anthem that you can see especially when the light shines in. I guess if ever I move and sell I will have them remanded or make that part of the deal once I'm out. For now I won't worry.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Every time a new rescue comes in I say a prayer of thanks that we put in laminated floors when building the house. One reason people go with laminate is because of what dog nails do to a beautiful wooden floor.

You don't say what wood the floors have, but that also makes a difference in how well it holds up to high heels and dog nails. I think the best alternative for you is to lay down carpet or vinyl (for office chairs).

Keeping the nails shorter is also an option.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for these ideas! I am wondering if i can cut her nails shorter. I thought I was cutting safely just before the quick, but her nails look long to me. Though I don't really have a basis for comparison!

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Thank you for these ideas! I am wondering if i can cut her nails shorter. I thought I was cutting safely just before the quick, but her nails look long to me. Though I don't really have a basis for comparison!
I don’t think there is any magical way to prevent dogs nails from scratching the floors, unless you have 6 and 8 pound dogs like I do. You could install some good quality vinyl floor on top (they have nice ones that look like wood) of your laminated floors and remove it whenever you sell. That’s a guaranteed fix, and cheaper than having the floors resanded and revarnished.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Every time a new rescue comes in I say a prayer of thanks that we put in laminated floors when building the house. One reason people go with laminate is because of what dog nails do to a beautiful wooden floor.
Yes! I loved the laminate floors in my previous apartment. No damage at all, and Miracle went crazy running around on the floors.

While I loved the wood floors in my previous residence, I realized how careful even I needed to be to make sure nothing happened to them after I spent money refinishing them. I did ask the person who refinished the floors how I would protect them with a dog living in the house, and he just said to keep the nails clipped short.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts