Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure the groomers out there have seen some dogs get acclimated to grooming in different ways and have developed a preference over the years. Is there a recommended way to get a little puppy used to being groomed?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I reccomend my clients come in every week or every two weeks, (they get more than 50% off the price if the agree) and we do a little face, feet, and tail trim, along with a bath sometimes without shampoo depending on how often we see them and then a blow dry and brush out. It only costs them 15 bucks a visit, so most of the time people are happy to come in.
I spend some extra time getting the puppy used to the clippers by rubbing them over the body, and around the face and such in addition to doing the basic clip. Usualy by the fourth visit we can get an all over haircut done with little to no trouble.

With my own puppy I'm doing basicly the same thing, she got face and feet clipped every week with lots of love and a few cookies here and there thrown in so she got used to it and learned to enjoy it. Basicly it's just a fact of life for her lol so she might as well enjoy the attention. She 6 months old now so rarely do I need any cookies for distractions and she does well for her all over trims and for scissoring but I still do face and feet every week to keep it routine for her.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How cool it would be to have a freshly fluffed puppy every week! I just figured that it would be waaayyyy too expensive and a waste of a groomers time. I can see how some may see it that way. It gives me another question to ask about. I can see myself brushing and combing her out daily. I don't think even with the most practice that I could get that same fluff that groomers do with their fancy hairdryers.

Now knowing that you give your little one doggie cookies. Is there a fun neat way to show appreciation for a groomer?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just did my 11 week olds fur but the face I am having a hard time with him playing and biting my hands...he was very good for the body and I got about 1/2 and inch off EVENLY! Still needs his face trimmed but for today that's enough. Hopefully soon I will be able to do it before it loses the pattern set by the breeder.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've seen some smaller salons that offer a "puppy package" basically you pay for about 6 grooms up front, lets say about $100 or so as long as the puppy is under 6 months of age. The groom the owner is wanting isn't promised until one of the last of the visits. The whole point is to easily guide the dog into the process of being groomed before the main groom takes place..

For instance on the first visit it might just be a bath and brush/fluff out, nails/ears and some training with the clippers, maybe clean face/feet of tolerated or if not then just holding the clippers up to the puppy to let them know they're safe and not going to hurt him.

The second might be more ear cleaning, maybe nail grinding if tolerated and starting to pull hair from ears if needed and if you can do so without hurting or scaring the puppy. There are ways to loosen this hair and make it not as painful to the pup.

The third might include setting a pattern but in all it depends on the puppy and how well he takes to the grooming. It's good business for groomers because hey you never know when you will have that puppy that lets you do everything, although I still prefer to break up the groom into baby steps to make it enjoyable.

I know the place here even if the puppy is fine the first time they still tell the person to come in for all 6 visits just to get used to the salon, the groomer, being kenneled, etc... there is plenty to get adjusted to and the earlier the better. It's definitely a good way to try and keep a good relationship with the puppy while at the same time not traumatizing them either.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've toyed with the idea of selling the puppy grooms in bulk but the problem I run into is that most people come in and already have an idea of what style they want and it takes some explaining to get them to understand why that might not be possible the first time and why it isn't reccomended. Sooo when they agree to the puppy visits they do so on the agreement that as soon as possible the puppy can be cliped the way they wanted all over and then they can go to monthly visits instead of every other week. lol. It would be almost useless for me to sell a set number of puppy appts in those cases so I've always talked myself out of doing it. I can understand where they are comming from I suppose, I would be reluctant to purchase 6 visits upfront myself.
My answer to the cash flow issue that occures when you get an abundance of puppies in one week is to charge full price for their first visit and the 15 dollars for every "puppy visit" after that. It's been working pretty well.

Something I've noticed about young puppies is that usually they are pretty good for their first visit. I tell my clients that the second visit is the real test of how much work we have ahead of us to get the baby used to grooming lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts