Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, haven't been posting for some time as I had some major changes in my life.

I was shaving Ariel near her ear and I accidentally nicked a small piece from the inside. I had stopped the bleeding but the earflap has a wound now. I wonder if the wound will merge together again?

I am open to tips on how to avoid nicking the ears as they are so thin and fragile. Also if you have tips how not to feel very very very very guilty, please share.

I will try to take a photo of the wound because I don't think I explained it clearly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi all, haven't been posting for some time as I had some major changes in my life.

I was shaving Ariel near her ear and I accidentally nicked a small piece from the inside. I had stopped the bleeding but the earflap has a wound now. I wonder if the wound will merge together again?

I am open to tips on how to avoid nicking the ears as they are so thin and fragile. Also if you have tips how not to feel very very very very guilty, please share.

I will try to take a photo of the wound because I don't think I explained it clearly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Aw! Think you are very brave to tackle grooming yourself. I am far too much of a chicken.

Sorry this happened. I guarantee Ariel forgave you immediately, but you are a loving owner and are beating yourself up.

I'm sure the ear will be fine, and the Poodle owners who do their own grooming will jump in with suggestions

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
When shaving the ear short on the inside I would use a 30 blade rather than say a 10 blade as the teeth are smaller and closer together on the 30 so less space to get skin caught. You can use longer blades like a 4 but use the same technique. I wouldn’t use a 7.
You also want to always go from the center of the ear outwards. Never take the blade ‘along’ or ‘with’ an edge. When scissoring around an ear leather use your other hand to hold the ear and touch your thumb and pointer finger together just at the edge of the ear so you can’t cut the ear unless you cut through your finger.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Also it just happens. Even I as a groomer with more than 11 years experience have nicked dogs, even my own dogs that are extremely well behaved for grooming. Sharp objects and animals is always a gamble no matter how careful you try to be.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
I’ve done the same to Beckie and it really does bleed a lot ! If some skin is hanging, I would go to the pharmacy and buy some butterfly closures, to close it back. And maybe tape it (only if your dog is trying to remove the closures or if you think they might fall) but not too tight, because you don’t want to end up with dead tissue. If you tape, you need to check the bandage at least once a day to make sure it is healing well, there is no smell, ect. I would also desinfect the wound with fast acting antibiotic polysporin. Stop the bleeding before desinfecting and using the closures.

Beckie’s skin wasn’t hanging but she had a good cut. It healed fine with polysporin. Thank god they can’t lick their ears...

I won’t be using the clippers on any of my dogs ears again. Too risky. I’ll use scissors.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you find that you need to tape it, as Dechi said, be very careful not to cut circulation off, and to allow airflow, and check it frequently to see if it's healing.

A member recently had a very bad experience with a taped ear wound.

---------------

Hoping things are settling for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts