Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm sending out the embark test shortly on my new standard poodle pup. But I like figuring these things out myself!

She is apricot abstract. And I understand that abstract is less than 50% White, meaning they don't make it 'all the way' to parti.

I'm surprised to find that my girl has ticking on her white feet (when I clip away the longer white hair). But then as I said above it is basically a parti without enough white genetically. Her paw pads are also mixed pink and black pigment.

So my guess is that she would be Sp/sp. A parti carrier with incomplete dominance by the Sp.

Just trying to get a better grasp on the multicolor genetics. I have an adult spoo that is a parti, clearing to Cafe.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
561 Posts
S/sp is a parti carrier (not parti) as there is only one copy of sp. My abstract is S/sp and also has ticking . From what I’ve been told ticking is caused by a separate gene that causes holes in the areas that have no pigment letting the color of the dog peeking through. My light apricot girl who had started fading her ticking is very light on her toes and is hard to see and one day it will probably not be able to be seen .
S/sp is typically almost always going to be less that 50% white but there have some poodles that have small white markings on the chest that are not carriers of sp at all (they were S/S) and there have been some S/sp that don’t have any white . Which is why testing helps.

I really like reading on the poodle color genetics forum on Facebook. It’s such a interesting topic🙂.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!
I enjoy the topic as well!
Yes, you're right I forgot about the ticking being a separate Gene.
L

1 - 3 of 3 Posts