Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are at the lake and our 16 year old grandson & friend are staying with us, Abbey loves all people and has been fine with them for 3 days before this. Last night seemingly out of the blue she took a dislike to the friend, he's a great kid whom I've known all his life and he's a dog lover to boot. His family has labs and he's very involved with them. The boys drove back to camp in the golf cart and the girls did their initial bark thing, then when they walked in Abbey did a low level growl thing and lifted her lip. It was definitely directed at the friend and she wouldn't even take a treat from him, she had been all over him getting petted 2 hours before that. We are stumped. He said he'd petted another dog while they were gone, but really, would, could that be it? Today not as bad but she was still very apprehensive. If my dogs ever react to someone like this I take note and believe they sense something I don't, but I know this kid, and even if I didn't he hasn't been alone with her. Any ideas on what could be happening, or how to respond to her fear/uneasiness?

·
Registered
737 Posts
was he wearing anything different? a hat? crinkly jacket? reflective clothing?

if she's treat motivated, I'd try nonstop petting and treating from both you and the boy (assuming she'll let him close enough). If she won't, perhaps treats from a distance every time he sees her?

·
3,110 Posts
I'm thinking she smelled the scent of the other dog, and didn't like what she smelled. I'm trying to think of other possible reasons, but I can't, and I keep going back to that one.

Reactions: Caddy

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good points, but ones we've thought of, except the drugs, he's honestly a great kid and has been with us many times. Between our granddaughter & her friends, grandson and his friends, she's been around them all summer and LOVES to interact with them at camp, in the boat and swimming. He's not wearing anything different either, it's so very strange. I did wonder if she wasn't feeling well but she's playing with Dolly, running and swimming the same as usual. I will keep trying the treats, she's very food motivated and that's what really made me take notice. Dolly was taking the treats and Abbey stood back. One other thing is we were inside watching the Olympics last night, Abbey laying on a love seat with our grandson, the friend on a chair right beside her which she didn't seem to mind until he was petting Dolly and then she did the low growl again. Never, ever has she done that around people.

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
How odd. Probably the Axel Body Spray the kid was using! I would have given the teenager treats to give Abbey and treats to the dog savvy teenager to help me figure out why this happened. It would have my attention too.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Resource guarding? You, your grandson, or Dolly being the resource? I've had a little issue with this recently. Nothing major here but ...
A majority of the time everyone gets along then suddenly a small growl when others get too close to the resource which has been mainly ...me. It's strange because it only happens at certain times. Usually when I am on the floor petting a certain dog.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hans went through a phase where he would growl and bare his teeth if another dog got near me or if I was petting another dog so I think StormeeK's suggestion about resource guarding is a good one. Hans doesn't normally have issues with resource guarding, apparently I'm the only thing he doesn't want to share. We just worked on making sure he got really good stuff any time I was petting another dog, and he seems to be over it now.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I am very happy and relieved to say Abbeys stomach won out and she is now giving him kisses, shaking a paw and bringing her ball to him. I doubt we will ever know what caused it, but certainly had me concerned. Before dinner I gave him some very special treats and he was very patient and calm with her, now she's being a pest again. Very strange, and still has me baffled. I wonder if it did have something to do with me or Dolly, something to think about for sure.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
There was once a lab that loved me. If I took off my hat he would growl and stand back in fear. Any change a dog sees in a person can make that person a stranger to the dog for a while. Appearance, Sound, scent or behavior all can make the change.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know streetcar but I guess it's possible it had to do with Dolly, but why is still the question. You are so right Eric, sometimes the smallest things that we don't notice, they do. She was herself with him again last night, it will be interesting to see how she is this morning when the boys get up.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was so hopeful we got past whatever it was last night, but that wasn't the case. She wasn't as leary of him this morning, but still definitely not herself when he appeared. I really would like to get to the bottom of this but its doubtful I'll ever know what's bothering her. We are back at home now, and there's nothing physically wrong with her. I'm so perplexed by this.

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
For whatever reason, she needed another desensitizing session with that teen who's not part of the home team. Just guessing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts