Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my Son and I took diva for her daily walk. Here she is before her walk...

then this happened..

BURRS!!! And lots of them.
“I’ll brush them out” I said.. Easier said than done! I never encountered burrs in a coat before. It’s the first time I’ve seen the plant, despite going on daily rural walks.
It was my fault I threw a ball into a patch of cover, As I always do, she loves going into cover and long grass to find a ball. She was only groomed a few days ago, luckily in a Miami trim so most of her coat is short.
They looked just a few but they hid within the hair, id part it and more would be there! Here’s some in the ear hair. I managed to brush them from the ears and topknot with the coat being softer.

The tail was another matter.

the tail was one mass of solid burr/furr mix and had to come off, her leg bracelets wet and the burrs were to the skin.
Anyway, she now looks like this...

A lolly pop head.

I have never had to clip Diva off. I can’t believe a plant could cause so much mess!

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,702 Posts
Wow, you've done a great job with her grooming! Sorry to see her fluff disappear, but you made the right call!

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Oh ugh. Burdock is horrible once it gets into the hair. Galen stuck his head into a patch of wood aven the other day. That was annoying too.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Had a similar experience trail walking this past Saturday. Fortunately, they were only grass seeds and not burrs. This happened once on a potty break between runs in an obedience trial . . but it was balding cypress needles. Ahhhh!

LOW-11Oct2020.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,021 Posts
Oh dear, looks like the walk was fun but the aftermath was not. You did a great job saving Diva's head fall and ear feathers though.

Reactions: Vee

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Diva is a lovely gal, no matter what ! She reminds me of my Beckie. I have burrs in my yard and even though I hand pick them twice during the summer, some remain and I find them in my dog hair everyday until the snow comes. I pick them out one by one.

I never had as much as you though. You did a good job, what matters is the dog’s comfort !

·
Registered
100 Posts
Such a pretty and proper pose in the before shot! But I think she's cute in the "lollipop head" pic as well. Her coat looks lovely and thick. I do love a black poodle.

My parents live in a rural area, and I'm very excited to go visit with our poodle once she's housetrained enough and we've convinced my dad she'll behave nicely in the house (he's not much of a pet person-- animals belong outside, to him). But even if we manage to avoid the properly sharp burs I know we'll be spending a lot of time picking out stick-tights. Other than keeping the coat trimmed short, does anyone have any tips for easier removal? And I'm guessing a missed one is mostly a concern because of matting, not because of migration like foxtails?

·
Registered
822 Posts
You can buy sprays such as "The Stuff" that make burrs easier to comb out. Be careful if you spray them on inside, though, because they will make your floor very slippery!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Her skinny little tail looks so funny wagging in comparison to a big poofy Pom 😆
Oh the look on her face in the second picture! You did the smart thing and she's lovely in any trim!
That’s her “come on! Throw it again!” Face 😆

Diva is a lovely gal, no matter what ! She reminds me of my Beckie. I have burrs in my yard and even though I hand pick them twice during the summer, some remain and I find them in my dog hair everyday until the snow comes. I pick them out one by one.

I never had as much as you though. You did a good job, what matters is the dog’s comfort !
I wasn’t familiar with burrs so left her searching and running amongst them, so she would have had far less if I’d of shouted her straight out 😑🤦🏽‍♀️

Such a pretty and proper pose in the before shot! But I think she's cute in the "lollipop head" pic as well. Her coat looks lovely and thick. I do love a black poodle.

My parents live in a rural area, and I'm very excited to go visit with our poodle once she's housetrained enough and we've convinced my dad she'll behave nicely in the house (he's not much of a pet person-- animals belong outside, to him). But even if we manage to avoid the properly sharp burs I know we'll be spending a lot of time picking out stick-tights. Other than keeping the coat trimmed short, does anyone have any tips for easier removal? And I'm guessing a missed one is mostly a concern because of matting, not because of migration like foxtails?
i find most bits and sticks that get stuck in the coat come out pretty easily and most of the burrs came out with brushing, combing and detangling spray, there were so many of these I thought there were too many anit would take too long to brush out

You can buy sprays such as "The Stuff" that make burrs easier to comb out. Be careful if you spray them on inside, though, because they will make your floor very slippery!
I did use a detangling spray but I’ll look at the stuff, thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Stuff is different from a detangling spray, feels almost like silicon. You spray it on before going out in the woods and then the burrs are much easier to comb out. If you don't spray ahead of time, you can still spray on the burr and it helps.
Oh I see. I will definitely get some of that! Thanks 🙂

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
If you carefully crush the burrs with pliers, then work some cornstarch into the mess you can usually fairly easily comb the bits of crushed burrs out of the coat. then use your hv dryer to blow the remaining cornstarch out of the coat. This has worked well for me.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
If you carefully crush the burrs with pliers, then work some cornstarch into the mess you can usually fairly easily comb the bits of crushed burrs out of the coat. then use your hv dryer to blow the remaining cornstarch out of the coat. This has worked well for me.
Genius!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good tip! I couldn’t have done this on her legs though they were wet and the coat enclosed the burrs 🙈

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I've used Cowboy Magic - it's a oily, silicone feeling product. I work some into the area of the burr and I wipe a little on the comb and patiently comb the burr out bit by bit. Emphasis on patience. I find it doesn't damage the hair. I do work in small areas, I don't try to comb or brush a large area at one time because that seems to tangle the burr more firmly.

Given how many you had I probably would have made an executive decision to cut most out and restyle my poodle - which is what you did beautifully. Diva is still gorgeous with our without her Miami Bikini.

I also carry a comb in my car for emergency burr removal when we're away from home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts