Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
My name is Lacey, I am a white standard. My human is Kris. We live in Salt Lake City with 3 other dogs, Kris's husband, and 2 kids (16 & 21). Our other dogs are Blitz (10 yr whippet), Midge (10 year mix), and Maari (12 yr chihuahua). We refer to them as the grannies :)
I came to live with Kris just before Thanksgiving 2009. I am almost 2 years old (May 2010). Originally, I intended to teach Kris how to handle me in the conformation ring before moving on to rally or agility. However, a few weeks ago I got really sick (bloat and torsion) and I had to have some emergency surgery. Thanks to a great emergency crew, I am recovering nicely now.
Kris doesn't know what the future holds for us, just that she is so happy I'm still here and I'm going to be okay!! We would like to share your journey as we share ours with you.
Nice to meet you :)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Hi Lacey! Nice to meet you... Tell your mom to use her opposable thumbs and take some great pictures of you to post on the forum - we LOVE to see pictures of beautiful poodles!! :lol:

I'm glad you're OK after your scary experience with the bloat/torsion - SOOOO Scary! :scared: Wishing you many happy healthy years with your human and canine family!!

Welcome!!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the Welcomes!!
I will post pictures soon. I, too, love looking at all the great pictures! So many amazing, cute poodles to be seen here.
I know Lacey's dam and sire off the top of my head. I know her sire's pedigree is on the web.
I do not have Lacey registered with the health registry. She was going to have her health testing in May or June when she turns two. She will now be spayed when she has fully recovered from her surgery.
I am not new to dogs, but she is my first show dog. I have always done rescues, but I've dreamed of having a standard poodle for the past 25 years.
I've been a professional groomer for the past 27 years. I love everything about poodles, their look, their attitude, their temperment, and especially their smile.
Lacey is everything I've ever dreamed of and more :) I hope to have many wonderful years with her!! Luckily with my job, she gets to go almost everywhere I go.
I look forward to hearing your stories and learning from your experiences. Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Welcome Lacey and Kris... I'm south of you, in St George!
(As we are getting tons of rain you must be getting the pretty snow!)

It's good to have you here... and I also will say I'm sorry to hear of your serious bloat and torsion, but so thankful to know you are ok!
By chance, is this the same poodle that bloated right before a show a couple of weeks ago? There was a brother and sister that both bloated in the same week and I know they were under 2 years old.

It's such a scary thing... one day maybe you'll share with the group your experience. It might help save another one day.

Welcome again,
Karen

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Karen!
This is the same bitch that bloated the night before the IKC sanctioned fun match in Farmington. Her brother bloated 10 days earlier.
I believe I have seen a beautiful spoo that is of your breeding. I work with a groomer named Monica and I believe you two know each other. She grooms this dog and has mentioned your name several times.
I have no problem sharing my story with anyone that is interested.
Thanks for welcoming me. I look forward to getting to know you.
Kris

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi Karen!
This is the same bitch that bloated the night before the IKC sanctioned fun match in Farmington. Her brother bloated 10 days earlier.
I believe I have seen a beautiful spoo that is of your breeding. I work with a groomer named Monica and I believe you two know each other. She grooms this dog and has mentioned your name several times.
I have no problem sharing my story with anyone that is interested.
Thanks for welcoming me. I look forward to getting to know you.
Kris
Hi again Kris.... so that was your girl?! I have to say I am relieved she is ok. I heard she didn't make it so I need to correct the one who told me otherwise! I am so interested in learning more since it's got to be a rare thing that a brother and sister would bloat so close... yet not live together, eatting the same, etc.??? I was so sad to hear about it.

Yes, Monica is a great groomer and we miss her here. Tell her I said hello!
She is grooming one of my pups out there now, a Myles daughter and she is blue so it will take some time for it to clear as she is still young. She was my 'bomb proof' pup!

Maybe you'll meet some others of mine someday.
It's great to have you here!
Karen

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Welcome to you Kris,
I am in Utah as well..
Wow what an experience you have had ! Coming from Irish Setters i do have some knowledge of Bloat and you are so lucky to have saved your girl. Yes please share with us all that you know. As to help others down the line. Are you familiar with the PHR?
I think you will enjoy the forum and the friends that you wil make here.. Welcome ...

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Hello and welcome. Wow, what a horrid experience you all have been through. Luckily Lacey is still with you though. It would be a good thing to get her posted on PHR to maybe spare others what you have been through. Hope you enjoy it here. Looks like you are not going to have any trouble making friends here.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It would be a good thing to get her posted on PHR to maybe spare others what you have been through.

Yes, it would be a great help to breeders most especially.
I happen to have made a decision not to use a certain dog because of this bloat case, sadly they are related.

With this breed you 'pick your poison'... bloat is a killer.

If you need help getting her listed, let me know.

Hugs to Lacey!
Karen

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome and sorry to hear about the bloat = too bad they didn't do the spay at the same time (maybe too much) What happened prior to the bloat? Anything that you observed? It is really scary and I am so glad all is well. Where did the siblings come from?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I happen to have made a decision not to use a certain dog because of this bloat case, sadly they are related.

AS IN 'related' to the stud dog I was going to use! :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts

AS IN 'related' to the stud dog I was going to use! :)
Absolutely! And I am sure this breeder did the same or will be...

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Lacey and Kris! I'm a utah person myself, and I live only 20 minutes from you in Layton! :D Bloat and torsion is really scary :C I'm glad your spoo is okay, sounds like serious surgery there. Can't wait to see pictures! :D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again to all of you and your kind welcomes. I am heading over to the picture page to try and post some pics. I appreciate all the info on the PHR and I am working on getting her info turned in. Thanks for being so willing to share all your great info with me :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I lost my first Spoo to bloat 20 years or so ago. I still miss my beautiful girl. I appreciate breeders that take action to try and avoid breeding dogs that could possibly pass along these types of problems. I am so glad your girl is recovering and wish you both the best. We tried everything possible to save our girl, but it wasn't to be. I hope that all breeders are careful to educate adopters about bloat. There are so many things that can be done to reduce the risk.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I loved your introduction. Welcome to you and Lacey. I am so sorry about the bloat problem but am so glad that it had a happy ending. Looking forward to hear more about you and seeing pics.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts