Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has your dog ever jumped off into a body of water?

I had a mommy scare moment this week. Bella was playing off leash (something that never happens) with a friend and they both saw an iguana and bolted for it. The iguana ran into the lake and the friend stopped chasing but my rambunctious one flew right into the water swimming after the iguana.

You can imagine my fears as we live in Florida and you never know what could be lurking. We’ve never taken Bella swimming before but she performed fabulously like the poodle she is. I ran into the water after her and retrieved her even though she looked like she was having the time of her life.

Safe to say, Bella won’t be having any off leash moments near water anytime soon.

I’ve attached some of Bella’s photos of the week and one with the iguana in the background lol.
Feel free to follow our adventures on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/bellarue.theminipoo/

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
What a cute girl! I'd have had a heart attack, scrambling to get her out, but so funny imagining her just paddling around, oblivious and joyful.

My old mini abruptly launched herself into a pond during her senior years. It was truly bizarre. Until then, she'd only gone into shallow water if I tossed something, or deeper water if she was desperate to follow me.

In restrospect, it could've been quite dangerous (even deadly) considering all those awful toxic algae blooms we've been hearing about. But she just had a bit of fun and promptly climbed out when I called.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I can certainly appreciate your concern about lakes in Florida. A friend of mine lost an Irish setter to an alligator. I used to live near Pensacola - glad to be away from heat, bugs, and water! I'm a true desert dweller.

Stay safe Bella - stay out of the water!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can certainly appreciate your concern about lakes in Florida. A friend of mine lost an Irish setter to an alligator. I used to live near Pensacola - glad to be away from heat, bugs, and water! I'm a true desert dweller.

Stay safe Bella - stay out of the water!

What’s worse is she keeps trying to go back in the direction of the lake. She really doesn’t understand the dangers but it’s my job to keep her safe.

My heart goes out to your friend and her Irish setter I cannot even imagine how that must’ve been ?.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a cute girl! I'd have had a heart attack, scrambling to get her out, but so funny imagining her just paddling around, oblivious and joyful.

My old mini abruptly launched herself into a pond during her senior years. It was truly bizarre. Until then, she'd only gone into shallow water if I tossed something, or deeper water if she was desperate to follow me.

In restrospect, it could've been quite dangerous (even deadly) considering all those awful toxic algae blooms we've been hearing about. But she just had a bit of fun and promptly climbed out when I called.
I can’t even swim! I’m glad she didn’t get too far. I dropped everything and ran in. I think they really just love water, being poodles and all.

I’m glad your older mini had a bit of fun and was still safe ?.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The summer I brought Lily (poodle mix, dog in my avatar) home nine years ago, we brought her on the the boat, and she loved it. One of the things we do is dock on a small island and let the dogs run off leash. It’s an island so they can’t go anywhere and we often have it to ourselves. It’s not far from the dock, so I didn’t always put life preservers on the dogs if that was our destination.

On one of our trips, we were about 100 ft from the island and Lily saw it, got very excited and launched herself off the front of the boat, apparently in an attempt to swim to the island to get there as fast as possible.

The boat was moving, so I screamed to my husband to kill the motor, and then jumped off the bow of the boat after her, channeling Thelma and Louise I guess. So there now we were, Lily and I in about 50 ft of choppy water, and she is happy as a clam swimming to the island! There was a couple on the beach of the island, and they started swimming out to save us. Yikes, what a scene it was! Luckily I am a decent swimmer, and so is Lily...and we’re in upstate NY so nothing was going to eat her.

I directed her back to the boat and we climbed back in. Lily was no worse for the wear and actually seemed pretty proud of herself.
Needless to say, Lily did not ride in the boat without a life preserver for a long time!

Gracie, mini poodle puppy, also loves the water but so far has not attempted high dives off the boat, or other crazy antics. Max, my other poodle mix, hates water. They’re all different, but Lily has, and always will be, an outlier!

·
Registered
592 Posts
My poodle is pretty neutral on water. It clearly does not bother him, but he’s certainly not obsessed with swimming either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
Oh! And I'm following now ?

I'm at https://www.instagram.com/robinmay/

It's pretty much turning into a poodle account!

I hardly use Instagram, but of the 10 photos I’ve posted, only 1 does not have a dog somewhere visible in the frame.

Surely PoodleForum must have a thread for us to post Instagram account links. Somebody want to dig it up for me? I feel like I should follow some more poodles.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The summer I brought Lily (poodle mix, dog in my avatar) home nine years ago, we brought her on the the boat, and she loved it. One of the things we do is dock on a small island and let the dogs run off leash. It’s an island so they can’t go anywhere and we often have it to ourselves. It’s not far from the dock, so I didn’t always put life preservers on the dogs if that was our destination.

On one of our trips, we were about 100 ft from the island and Lily saw it, got very excited and launched herself off the front of the boat, apparently in an attempt to swim to the island to get there as fast as possible.

The boat was moving, so I screamed to my husband to kill the motor, and then jumped off the bow of the boat after her, channeling Thelma and Louise I guess. So there now we were, Lily and I in about 50 ft of choppy water, and she is happy as a clam swimming to the island! There was a couple on the beach of the island, and they started swimming out to save us. Yikes, what a scene it was! Luckily I am a decent swimmer, and so is Lily...and we’re in upstate NY so nothing was going to eat her.

I directed her back to the boat and we climbed back in. Lily was no worse for the wear and actually seemed pretty proud of herself.
Needless to say, Lily did not ride in the boat without a life preserver for a long time!

Gracie, mini poodle puppy, also loves the water but so far has not attempted high dives off the boat, or other crazy antics. Max, my other poodle mix, hates water. They’re all different, but Lily has, and always will be, an outlier!

Oh my! That is hilarious. Bella is also that type of excitable dog, you never know what crazy antics they will do in that state.

I’m happy everything worked out and no one was injured in the process.

They really are so different. Bella has a poodle friend that won’t even step in a puddle! Much less to launch himself in water meanwhile she’s walk through puddles and purposely walk in mud. They’re are all so different.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My poodle is pretty neutral on water. It clearly does not bother him, but he’s certainly not obsessed with swimming either.

She’s never shown much interest in the lake before that incident. Now she ventures a little too close to the apartment pool and always tries to make a launch for the direction of the lake. Safe to say she will be leashed all the time

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh! And I'm following now ?

I'm at https://www.instagram.com/robinmay/

It's pretty much turning into a poodle account!

I hardly use Instagram, but of the 10 photos I’ve posted, only 1 does not have a dog somewhere visible in the frame.

Surely PoodleForum must have a thread for us to post Instagram account links. Somebody want to dig it up for me? I feel like I should follow some more poodles.

This would be great. I love following poodles one Instagram. I’ve really turned into quite the poodle lover.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Bella truly is a gorgeous girl! Thanks for sharing your instagram link :) I do not have an insta account myself, but I always enjoy looking at photos of poodles.

·
Registered
592 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts