Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asta has been shaking a lot and scratching his ears since his groom. Husband said take him to the vet - and when he says to take to vet, I always will as it takes on seriousness if he sees a problem. I thought that maybe some hair from grooming might have gotten trapped in his ear and he was trying to shake it loose.
No - he has an ear infection in his right ear. This boy has never had an ear problem and I did sniff it and no yucky scent.
Vet fixed us up with a 1 dose daily med & said to put him on Benadryl. Twice the amount of human dose - seems like for dogs it takes a higher dosage. I had been giving him Benadryl 1/2 pill for allergies. I should have been giving him 2 pills in a dose.
Hopefully it should be no problem in 5-7 days.

Oh I should add that Asta's weight went from 51 lbs about 2 weeks ago and is now 49 lbs. Think that was a lot of hair the groomer took off -LOL

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,718 Posts
Does your groomer pluck ears? The only time Mia had an ear infection was after the groomer plucked her ears, so we stopped plucking. OTOH I also had a dog who developed infections if his ears were not plucked, so ymmv.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I’m sorry Asta isn’t well. As @Liz said, plucking ears can cause infections in the canal. The trick is to do it little by little, in many sessions. Or just to pluck lightly. Tell your groomer next time that Asta is sensitive to plucking.

Get well soon Asta ! :)

·
Premium Member
24,032 Posts
Aww that is too bad. The benadryl dose for dogs is high, but that is what our vet also prescribes if we need it. Liz, you are so right about plucking vs. not. Lily has such a different coat I have never needed to pluck her ears, but if you leave Javvy's ears to their own devices he might as well be a potato farmer his ears get so full of junk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm glad Asta is mostly ok! I was honestly quite worried when I saw the title of your post. Good thing you took him to the vet. I hope he feels better soon! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hope Asta recovers soon! Topper is just getting over another yeast infection in his ears. I went to the vet for the first one, but I'm treating this one with the leftover medication. Topper has very hairy ears. Our groomer doesn't do anything with them. At his last appointment, he didn't want her to do much with his face so she didn't clip under his ears. Once I realized that Topper had another yeast infection (itching and aroma), I clipped the area under his ear flaps and trimmed with a round-edge scissors. I hope this will provide enough air flow to speed the healing.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all concerns and wishing Asta a fast recovery. I have never plucked his ears and have had no problems with him (good for 6 years) He has been good about taking his medications.so I am lucky with that.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
Did the new groomer pluck his ears? The only time Peggy’s had discomfort was after one appointment where they did a very thorough cleaning.

Happy to hear your wonderful boy is on the mend.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Poor Asta. It looks like you caught it early which is good. Happy healing vibes sent.

I too am surprised by the Benadryl dose but maybe the higher dose is for a purpose other than reducing allergies?

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Registered
846 Posts
Asta has been shaking a lot and scratching his ears since his groom. Husband said take him to the vet - and when he says to take to vet, I always will as it takes on seriousness if he sees a problem. I thought that maybe some hair from grooming might have gotten trapped in his ear and he was trying to shake it loose.
No - he has an ear infection in his right ear. This boy has never had an ear problem and I did sniff it and no yucky scent.
Vet fixed us up with a 1 dose daily med & said to put him on Benadryl. Twice the amount of human dose - seems like for dogs it takes a higher dosage. I had been giving him Benadryl 1/2 pill for allergies. I should have been giving him 2 pills in a dose.
Hopefully it should be no problem in 5-7 days.

Oh I should add that Asta's weight went from 51 lbs about 2 weeks ago and is now 49 lbs. Think that was a lot of hair the groomer took off -LOL
Poor Asta ear infections are no fun. Hopefully they clear up fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm so sorry about the ear infection. I dealt with that a couple of times in the past. After that second time, I found that "after it's healed", if I just wipe the inside of the dogs ears with apple cider vinegar diluted with distilled water, she didn't get the infections. It helps the PH in the ear ,thus making an environment resistant to infections. Just once or twice a month. And it's not a cure. Just seems to be a preventative. Asta is beautiful btw.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,718 Posts
After that second time, I found that "after it's healed", if I just wipe the inside of the dogs ears with apple cider vinegar diluted with distilled water, she didn't get the infections. It helps the PH in the ear ,thus making an environment resistant to infections. Just once or twice a month. And it's not a cure. Just seems to be a preventative.
I've had good luck with this as well. After swimming, I wipe her ears with 50/50 white vinegar as a preventive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, interesting...you use white vinegar? I've always used apple cider vinegar due the healthy bacteria in it. But for swimming and moisture, white vinegar makes total sense to promote dryness.
Funny but once in a blue moon I would even put her ears up in a loose hair scrunchy to get air exposure. Luckily being such a glam girl,fancy pants,she considered it a fashion statement and didn't mind. Lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts